Episode 2: The Neon Run

This thread is open to all.

This thread is to discuss Episode 2: The Neon Run. The adventure is from the Dawn of Shadows Campaign, written by Master Starider. I'll be forming a project team for this in the future when episode one is complete, so keep checking the first post.
Master Starider, I have a few questions about the maps required for 'The Neon Run'.

(1)   Hano and Friends Encounter – The Underway Cantina with chandelier wreckage. What size is the map? Can I use wreckage that doesn't look like a chandelier? I can't draw a chandelier... (Done)

(2)   Corrupted Systems Encounter – This is just an alley way with crates?

(3)   Biker War Encounter – A basic street section.

(4)   Assassins in the Night Encounter – This seems like the Heroes sleeping quarters, beds and dressers. Are they sleeping inside a ship or building? (Done)

(5)   Buzz Droids Encounter – You want a map of the Old works factory race track or stadium?

(6)   Droids on Bikes Encounter - You want a map of the Old works factory race track or stadium?

(7)   Crashing a Party Encounter – You want a Hideout under the Underway Cantina?

(8)   Black Sun Droids Encounter - You want a Warehouse or Hide out? Two entrances, many windows, first floor with what furniture? Staircase or turbolift?

(9)   Black Sun Rising Encounter – You want a Warehouse or Hide out? The second floor has what in it?

Where is the information for Corrupted Circuits?

There was so little information, I got very lost. Help.

Hey prom (and all),

Cool.  Let's get started...

1 Note wreckage may not happen.  I suggest do small/med cantina, then in middle put an empty dash line square.  this reps the shandeleer above on cieling.  If BST shoot it down, anyone under it suffers.  GM then pencils/textas in 'wreck'.  Should work.

2 yes.  allow for a corner for harno to hide behind.

3  Do a street section (with cover stuff).  The gm can work it into how the heros roll (ie if on bikes or a car, happens 'static chase' on road.  If on starship, heroes have moved onto a nearby road, then BST hit them. No need for ship.

4 either.  do a map that can cover both if possible.   doesn't matter how generic.    

5-6 use a small section of a metalic road racetrack.  This will be another 'static chase' map ie the whole map 'follows' the action as it moves. You also missed last lap encounter.  try and make it not in stadium.  Pit crew may also need map, but not nes and only if you are keen.

7 this occurs at staduim in BS pit, maybe link to map used by pit crew in 5-6. or use same map.  use one pit area otherwise if possible (the BS pit).

8 bottom floor of hideout, crates, tables, chairs, whatever else you think should be in a modest sized black sun cell base on corusant.  This is the crews 'hang out' room.  Stairs if possible.  Also a hole in roof to 2nd level.  BST use this to dump heroes with bantha hearder when heroes on next floor.  denote with a dash line if you wish.

9 floor 2 of whatever you have done.  This is Nars personal hangout.  like below floor, but smaller and better.  Remember areas of cover and the hole to below.  Hole should be near where heros enter/camp for cover.  maybe import looking desk he sits at.  I will 'hide' a black sun stash in the location features, or you can put in a nice, obvious safe for stash.  up to you.

corrupted circuts uses same map as first 2 maps of race.  No prob.  The gm has to put in everything else (pencil etc).

Keep asking until you are sated, my friend.  I should have every answer you need.

Matty out.                  

Hano and Friends Encounter Map is done.
Hey prom,

I also forgot 'Chasing Nar Meebo'.  Could be run without a map, but a generic coruscant road for a 'static' chase will do. 

Cool.  Can't wait to see it.  : )

Matty out.       
Hey prom,

I also forgot 'Chasing Nar Meebo'.  Could be run without a map, but a generic coruscant road for a 'static' chase will do. 

Cool.  Can't wait to see it.  : )

Matty out.       

I'll see what I can do. The problem with a street map for a chase is that the chase can cover a large or long distance so maps are not very practical.
Hey prom

I agree.  The 'static chase' map is the only way that I can think of incorportating a map for a chase combat without it getting too big and messy.  maybe the chase does'nt need a map.  It just needs the GM to keep track of 1 skill challenge rolls, 2 things attacking heroes.  The skill challenge is enough to 'measure' the pace and distance of the chase without getting messy.  If you have a better way to handle the map (if any), let me know.  Forgo that map if you wish.  

Thanks prom

Matty out        
Have you considered using my chase rules? I'll shoot you off a set, MS.
Garrrett
The Star Wars Saga Dawn of Defiance Podcast THREAT DETECTED is here! threat-detected.com IMAGE(http://www.obsidianportal.com/images/banners/op_banner1_468x60.png)
Hey all,

Got it Garrett, and good work too.  I do like what youve done - simple, but not xp reliant.  Sent a reply, but basically im trying to use skill challenges where I can with stuff not purely related to combat.  I'm still discovering how awesomely versatile that one simple concept/game rule can be (esp during Proj 2).  The skill challenge system can be used for anything, given the imagination.  The crunch/numbers are usually well balanced too.

Keep em comin Garrett  : )

Thanks again

Matty           
I'm likely to leave the race track to last. I might do a large scale map of the whole track and break it up into the stages of the skill challenge, each square is a stage in the skill challenge. Unless they have to do more than one lap.
I have the map for the 'Assassins in the Night encounter. I'm assuming they still have the Eon Eagle, which is a YX-1980.
Hello all,

Prom, each stage of the skill challenge is one complete lap, with 3 laps in all.  A map with 3 stages per lap would be massive, and would be too much for you to do.  Do one map of complete track, and for each lap ill write in 'refer to same map', or ill just put in the same map 3 times.  Should work, and be a much easyer job for you.  

AitN: Cool, and yes.  Ill write in a small part if the heroes sleep elsewhere, GM should use another generic room map.  DoD has some the GM can use in a pinch. 

Thanks prom,

Matty out!       
MasterS,
Ask anyone who's played in my group about my insane love of skill challenges. Yippie!
Garrett
The Star Wars Saga Dawn of Defiance Podcast THREAT DETECTED is here! threat-detected.com IMAGE(http://www.obsidianportal.com/images/banners/op_banner1_468x60.png)
Hello all,

Prom, each stage of the skill challenge is one complete lap, with 3 laps in all.  A map with 3 stages per lap would be massive, and would be too much for you to do.  Do one map of complete track, and for each lap ill write in 'refer to same map', or ill just put in the same map 3 times.  Should work, and be a much easyer job for you.  

AitN: Cool, and yes.  Ill write in a small part if the heroes sleep elsewhere, GM should use another generic room map.  DoD has some the GM can use in a pinch. 

Thanks prom,

Matty out!       

One map of complete track, got it.
Hey guys,

Well Garrett, your group is going to plotz (did I get that right?) when they play in this project.  I'll give you an example of what to (somewhat) expect in Projs, skill challenge wise:

When I was running DoD, one of the players wanted to run a side game with a DS clone trooper to supply as a foe for the party later on.  I said yes, but only this once.  It only went on for a couple of adventures (my DoD camp. permanently died by then anyway).  One was the infiltration of a Sith temple, where the target sith holocron was located.   Basically, the trooper found a DS nexus, and I semi-planned/ad libed a skill challenge to control it, being able to draw upon dark healing/force powers, but at a DSP cost.  This req 5 UtF checks, and every failure cost him 1/3+1 of total hp.  I also adlibed a long skill challenge where he could make his own sith artifact using stuff he found in the temple, and the ancient lab there.  11 success, 3 failures, UtF, Perception, and Init (observing and timing, respecively) to make the artifact (a ring) and transfer the DS nexus into the ring, allowing him to draw upon it wherever he went (it had a few other perks).

Like I said, it can be used for anything.  : )

Prom - Cool.  Can't wait to see it.

Ta guys

Matty out!
In the next campaign, did an Ewok have to throw the ring into Mustafar?
Garrett
Hey guys,

Nah, the ring made the little gimp jump in instead!  Or was he pushed by the little bald ewok following behind, while listening to dark whispers?  ; )

Garrett, if you (or anyone else) want any stats, let me know.  That sith artifact could still be running around out there...any GMs want a blatant/overt DS test/temptation for thier stalwart heroes..?

Matty out!  

I    
I have been busy with my Dungeons and Dragon game log, will do some more maps next week. Sorry about the delay.
Hey guys,

No probs prom.  Whenever you are ready.

Thanks

Matty   
I have alot of maps on my computer, but I'm struggling to find anything that I will not have to build from scratch. I've also realized that I have no idea what the race track looks like and what is around it. Is the track a semi-circle or some other shape?
Prom,
If you have something you'd like me to take a crack at from scratch, let me know.
Garrett
Hey guys,

See, the problem is, this is where the swoop bike finals are taken place.  The only real description is that 'its the most difficult and convoluted swoop track in the series' which is mentioned in the module.  Not much of a big ask. 

Thats why I left the 'track' deliberately 'vague', and suggested to use a 'static' map of a section of race track.  Making the track would be a mammoth task.  The only way I could see otherwise is to take a cut section of the planet, and do a 'little doodle' of the track around the massive area by space veiw. 

Oh, and some of it takes place in underground tunnels too...     

Good luck, can't wait to see what you guys do.

Thanks guys

Matty out!           
Hey guys sorry I have been relatively inactive for the past week or so. A close friend committed suicide here and died of complications in the hospital so I've taken it pretty hard and my work has stalled for the moment, I am still on the project I just need a little more time tonsort through RL stuff here. My wifes taking it harder than I am.
Hey guys sorry I have been relatively inactive for the past week or so. A close friend committed suicide here and died of complications in the hospital so I've taken it pretty hard and my work has stalled for the moment, I am still on the project I just need a little more time tonsort through RL stuff here. My wifes taking it harder than I am.

I'm sorry to hear that. Don't worry about the adventure till you are ready. I'm having my own troubles so work is slow.

Matty, I think I have a solution to the track problem. I'll get back to you.

barefoottourguide, I'll let you know as soon as I have hunted around a bit more, before scratch building anything.
My deepest condolences, DarthSet. Take care of yourself.
Garrett
Hey guys,

DS, I'm sorry for your loss.  Didn't (sill don't) know what to say...

Take whatever time you need.  Friends and family are the most importaint thing.  

Prom, I hope your situation improves too.  The less bad luck there is, the better.  Looking forward to see what you've come up with.

Good luck all,

Matty            
Ok, I've hunted around and thought a real race track might just be the ticket. Monte Carlo, Baja or Nurburg, what do you think?
Hey all,

Cool.  Pick the biggest one.  Make it as star warsy as you can.  Even overlap it on a piece of coruscant, if you can.

Looking forward to what you do next...

Thank you. 

Matty        
Hey all,

Cool.  Pick the biggest one.  Make it as star warsy as you can.  Even overlap it on a piece of coruscant, if you can.

Looking forward to what you do next...

Thank you. 

Matty        

Baja and Nurburg are very big. I don't think I can over lay it on Coruscant with the software package, Paint.
Not the Indianapolis Speedway? Almost got homesick.
Garrett
Not the Indianapolis Speedway? Almost got homesick.
Garrett

Not my first choice for a race track, so don't worry.
I've started a project team for this adventure as I'm having trouble with some of the maps and finding time to do them. Right now the Team list only reflects Mappers, I'll let you know when I need a full team of people.

(1)    Master Starider – Writer, Formatting, Editor

(2)    Prom – Project Manager, Mapper

(3)    Caelik – Mapper x

(4)    Barefoottourguide – Editor, Mapper x

Howdy all. Just wanted to say hello and thanks for letting me be a part of this! If no-one minds me diving right in, I have some ideas for the "Crashing a Party" encounter map. Am I right in assuming that the way it's written, it takes place in the Black Suns' pit, unless the heroes decide to wait it out? If so, I have an idea for a 34x22 poster style map of the pit where the top 5th or so is actually the swoop track, with little roads leading into and out of the pit. I also made up a couple of map tiles for 3x1 Swoop Bikes, with transparent backgrounds, if any of the other mappers are interested. Not sure if I should post them here or not, so I'll wait for the go-ahead.
Hello all,

Hey Caelik, you are right.  'Crashing a Party' does take place in the Black Suns' pit.  If the heroes wait it out, or approach him elsewhere (not advisable, since if he is able to return to his pad, the heroes will get stomped by the extra guys - and don't count on Jedi/Imperial aid either) the mission becomes much tougher.  Its up to the GM to provide a relevant map if that situation occurs outside the adventures perameters.

The poster map sounds great, but I am wondering how to present it in the module.  It might be a bit big.  Could it fit on one page?  How do we handle a map so big if not?  I'm having trouble picturing how this can work.  Please help!!!  Theres prob some tech that could do this, but I cant think what (by the way, I'm pretty low tech).

Thanks Caelik, hope you have the needed answers.  Great work too!

Matty out!          
Well, if we wanted to include it in the module in Printable Form, I could change the dimensions a bit, and slice it into tiles. Probably 6-8 pages, if we use standard paper size, more if we use the Saga 9x9 format.... I'll do a quick mock-up and throw a general idea of what I mean up... -whisks away to photoshop-

EDIT (Also, we could include a second image of the whole map as one file, for those who like to use programs like MapTool to run their games). Anyhow, here is a rough idea of what I mean. Six 8"x8" slices of the map, that can be printed out and tiled together. The blue lines are the slices. (in this VERY rough sketch, the green is the pit shed, the orange ovals are other swoop bikes, and the blobs are oil spills)

Hello again all,

Wow!   Very cool.  And to think you promise it will look better!  Great work, Caelik.

Heres my plan.  On the race skill challenge, the track will go (if we get one), as will an image of the whole map, as above.  On the 'Crashing a Party' page we can put each of the 6? 'tiles', prob with the pit first, and the others next in case the battle 'spills out' elsewhere (prob going to happen during play anyway).  Also, it gives Nar more room to flee to the gangs speeders, as he has to escape (for now) for the adventure to flow.  It will take a little more room, but will be worth it.  

Quick edit:  Maybe put the 'pit' in one 'tile' so its not split up?  Thoughts?

What do you think?  Any other ideas?

Great work Caelik,

Matty out!
Actually, that whole image was just the Pit area, split off from the race track. I find that it's best to give characters room to move around (ABSOLUTE minimum for me, is a 2x2 squares worth of navigatable space on that map for each combatant involved). What I would do is include a small image of the completely tiled map on the page for "Crashing a Party" (which might be better served by being two pages), and then, at the end of the document, each of the "slices" would be a full page, that would print out and tile together. Also I just noticed the file is in 8.5x11 format, so I can re-proportion things and make the pit area only 4 tiles, instead of 6.

To be clear, the "poster" (14x20 inch map) would be the PIT area. Racetrack not included. It would print out on 4 pages, and be tiled together at the table. A smaller image of the Complete map would be included on the page for the encounter.

EDIT: And just to give an idea of final quality, this is a small map I made for some friends over at d20radio a while back: 
The "Crashing a Party" encounter map is now your baby Caelik.  I would suggest making the Black Sun's Pit one map only and use a larger scale. Each square would be more than 5 feet or 1.5 metres, say 3 metres by 3 metres or even larger. That's usually the best way to deal with over large map areas. I'll leave you and Master Starider to come to a consensus about that.

I have the whole race track map figured out now, just have to do it. It will not have squares if I can help it, but a scale.
Baby, delivered.

Honestly, I hated the idea of messing with the scale, since all official SWSE maps use the 1.5 meter measurement. In a perfect world the red line would be where the map is split. There would be a 25% scale image of it on the encounter page, with notations of where to place the enemies, explanation of hazards (oil spills), etc. Then the next two pages would be the printable version of the map. If you're worried about formatting, I can take the document for the encounter that exists now, format it the way I'm describing, and you can see what you think.

QUICK EDIT: Btw, I added the table and stools off to the side to give the map a little more character. I figure that if they're celebrating, it wouldn't be out of place for a friendly game of pazaak to gamble away their winnings to have broken out. (And similarly, if they're commiserating, then they're playing to try and forget)
 Nice work, Caelik.
That's a good upon completion plan... to produce a maptools build of each mod.
Garrett
It's very good, Caelik. The 1.5 metre measurement is for on foot battles, you could never manage this with vehicles or starships. When you are happy with the map just send me a copy by e-mail.

barefoottourguide just select any of the maps from the list on the second post that have not been done and go for it, if you still want to help with the maps.

I'm thinking I should just give episoide two's maps to Caelik. What do you think, Caelik?
Sign In to post comments