New miniatures!

39 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have no idea what the plan is for d&d miniatures at the moment. They have some coming out... The miniature line is cancled, they're coming out with more later... no one seems to know. but in my opinion you guys should really come out with booster packs and icons miniatures until there just aren't any more to make. people who like magic cards can go to walmart as often as they want to pick up a new pack of cards. why can't dnd fans go to walmart and pick up a new pack of miniatures? There are plenty of people who want miniatures... Resculpts of old icons and sets even would do it for now. Just keep making miniatures WoTC... please.
 -Shawn Martineau
I agree I would like a new miniature set or even rerelease of an old one.  The way it is currently the prices for minis is starting to skyrocket.
Basically, occasional collectors' sets, and board games.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
There will be releases of themed sets of miniatures with the new miniatures game coming sometime in the future (no release date yet).  Not a lot of details on the minis themselves yet either, other than that the idea is to release them in themed, visible packs, but the playtest rules have already been released.  I hope there are plenty of new molds and not a bunch of repaints.

Thing is, I really don't need another set of orcs, or undead or animals.  I have plenty of those.  What I would like to see is sets of one or two of each of some of the funkier monsters that don't get used very often.  But I guess I'm probably in the minority on that one.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Check out Paizo.com. They are coming out with a line of miniatures for Pathfinder that will be perfectly compatible with D&D.

Any Edition

...I hope there are plenty of new molds and not a bunch of repaints.

Thing is, I really don't need another set of orcs, or undead or animals.  I have plenty of those.  What I would like to see is sets of one or two of each of some of the funkier monsters that don't get used very often.  But I guess I'm probably in the minority on that one.

this right here.  seen how much a Chimera or Umber Hulk runs you? 

/technically, i don't need more orcs, kobolds, or undead, but...

Cry Havoc!  And let slip the hogs of war!

I'd be most interested in buying large packs of many cheap minis.    Moreso than previous editions, 4e utterly requires a battlegrid and at least something to represent combatants.  

Same here. I need miniatures of monsters that weren't in the old DDM line. So, please WotC, don't do orcs, skeletons, wolves, etc. We have enough of those, and one can get them from other mini publishers easily enough.
I'll buy any new minis that come out. I'll buy a bunch of orcs. I could never get enough of typical things I have my players killing. gives the game a fresher appeal. but all the same... how about a gargantuan ancient silver dragon? collosal gold dragon anyone? a new gibbering mouther, a whole line of ibixians if you really must go with themed packs. more giants? anything and everything dnd... just make it into a miniature. and why just make one galeb durr when you could make a few more and satisfy more people. there are so many cool minis out there but some of them are 50-60 dollars for a medium sized creature... So please just keep making miniatures! a gargantuan earthquake dragon? GAH as if you guys aren't making this stuff. the dracolich?!? that woulda been GREAT! MAKE MORE MINIATURES! 
What about a miniature set .... of the PLAYERS!

Check out Paizo.com. They are coming out with a line of miniatures for Pathfinder that will be perfectly compatible with D&D.

Actually, no, they're not compatible because all the weapon wielding ones become useless after 7th level and they move 2 squares for every other diagonal they go so it really screws things up. 

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Same here. I need miniatures of monsters that weren't in the old DDM line. So, please WotC, don't do orcs, skeletons, wolves, etc. We have enough of those, and one can get them from other mini publishers easily enough.

Anyway, you are free to use non WOTC miniatures if it work too, no need to act like the Boss.
I may look into the Paizo minis, but personally I would rather my miniature money going to the company of the game I am playing and not the competition of the game I am playing.
I may look into the Paizo minis, but personally I would rather my miniature money going to the company of the game I am playing and not the competition of the game I am playing.

There is other corps too... is ral partha still existing? yes, I am old...
Another thing that would be nice is if they made tokens for all the monsters they currently do not have tokens for.  Like sets of just tokens for MM, MM2, MM3, etc.  I would probably buy those.  For most encounters I really like the ease of use of the tokens.  Just flip it over for blooded, and toss the status markers right on top of the token, makes for smooth gameplay.  Maybe if I had a larger collection of miniatures I wouldn't like them as much, but they are a very nice cheap alternative.  Wish I had more though, and more variety.  If they have made tokens for things other than the DM kit (which I don't have), MV, and MV: TttNV please point me in that direction.

They're guaranteed to be awesome because they're produced by WizKids. 8o)

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

> There is other corps too... is ral partha still existing? yes, I am old...

AFAIK, no, though Reaper is still a good source of fantasy minis. While their main lines are unpainted metal, they also have some prepainted plastic theme packs on offer now.

Mind you, one member of my face-to-face gaming group is looking into getting a 3D printer, and that could be rather handy for producing miniatures to represent our own PCs, at least.
I'm not trying to find an alternative to dnd minis. I have plenty. I paint my own and the work I do on them comes out very well... But That doesn't really matter because I can't buy dnd specific minis for decent prices. so the matter at hand here is really the fact that I am pushing for WotC to continue to make minis.. you're all talking about what else works and that's fine but it's really not what I'm looking to do here. I'm hoping that if this post just continues on long enough cause everyone is suggesting new mini ideas and what not, WotC might just break and give in to there fans going back to the way things were miniature wise. not saying anything about 4e cause personally I like it a lot and I think people just don't give it enough of a chance. I just want more dnd minis. nuff said, briggz.Yell
AFAIK, no, though Reaper is still a good source of fantasy minis. While their main lines are unpainted metal, they also have some prepainted plastic theme packs on offer now. Mind you, one member of my face-to-face gaming group is looking into getting a 3D printer, and that could be rather handy for producing miniatures to represent our own PCs, at least.

Ral Partha was bought by another company and then went defunct when that company morphed into Ironwind Metals. So there are still people there producing miniatures, it is just that the company tango has taken place.

ironwindmetals.com/d/

Reaper is awesome too. I have hundreds of minis from Reaper and still hundreds more I want to buy but can't afford yet.

cast your vote here on whether or not WotC should continue to make DnD miniatures (:

community.wizards.com/shawndidge1/blog/?...
I'm not trying to find an alternative to dnd minis. I have plenty. I paint my own and the work I do on them comes out very well... But That doesn't really matter because I can't buy dnd specific minis for decent prices. so the matter at hand here is really the fact that I am pushing for WotC to continue to make minis.. you're all talking about what else works and that's fine but it's really not what I'm looking to do here. I'm hoping that if this post just continues on long enough cause everyone is suggesting new mini ideas and what not, WotC might just break and give in to there fans going back to the way things were miniature wise. not saying anything about 4e cause personally I like it a lot and I think people just don't give it enough of a chance. I just want more dnd minis. nuff said, briggz.Yell

I'm a big fan of accurate mini's too.  I suggest using cardboard cutouts as an alternative.  Easy to print and set up.  I found a site that sold me 100 slide in bases pretty cheap.
Someone here in the past had posted a template (I can't remember for what software) that allowed you to put a two sided image on a piece of paper.  Then you fold it in half and insert the bottom in a little stand (which you can find on the net or in some board games) and voila, you have a standup, two sided paper miniature proxy that is cheap, works well and allows you to create any monster that you can find or create an image of.  This could probably be done with any word processing or imaging program with a little work.

cast your vote here on whether or not WotC should continue to make DnD miniatures (:

Chill Dude, Wizard's of the Coast has got your back, they are already working on a brand new line of miniatures along with a new minis game. My guess that they'll release this product sometime late in 2012 near Christmas time.
Yes more miniatures please!  WotC DDM Miniatures have been the coolest representations of D&D miniatures I've ever had the pleasure to own and play, please make:

tiny pixies

huge black, adamantine, brown, gray, purple, silver, shadow, mirage, blight, vampire, bronze, brass, cobalt, orium, mercury, mithral, and steel dragons

small faerie dragons

uncommon dragonborn, goliaths, deva, gnomes, half-orcs, shifters, etc.

large liondrakes and drakkensteeds  

more mounted figures with medium counterparts

more dungeon dressing   

Just for starters Tongue Out

Teo    

Chill Dude, Wizard's of the Coast has got your back, they are already working on a brand new line of miniatures along with a new minis game. My guess that they'll release this product sometime late in 2012 near Christmas time.

well... I'm just makin sure that this lil' post of mine is here just to remind WotC that their miniatures line needs to come back and has no reason to ever go away again. I know it may not have any true effect but I figured it was worth a shot. I just see a lot of hate going towards WotC right now and I'm tryin' to turn it around. for 4e as well... I'm very much a fan of 4e. I just feel like half the people that say they hate it haven't even truelly looked into it. and besides, the game you play is entirely up to you. I often look to 1e and 2e for ideas. 
more dungeon dressing

I second that motion.  In one of the more recent sets they had treasure chests and brains in a jar and in older sets they had dead NPCs but I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more dungeon dressing minis.  I don't think a skirmish game has much opportunity for inanimate objects but one can always hope.

well they should know that just because the miniatures are made for a skirmish game doesn't mean that's all dnd fans are up to. dnd is an rpg wotC. I'm in on dungeon dressing as well!

well... I'm just makin sure that this lil' post of mine is here just to remind WotC that their miniatures line needs to come back and has no reason to ever go away again. I know it may not have any true effect but I figured it was worth a shot. I just see a lot of hate going towards WotC right now and I'm tryin' to turn it around. for 4e as well... I'm very much a fan of 4e. I just feel like half the people that say they hate it haven't even truelly looked into it. and besides, the game you play is entirely up to you. I often look to 1e and 2e for ideas. 

Welcome to the battlefront dude, and our posts actually did make a difference. Case in point, as soon as we started posting about the Paizo's Pathfinder miniature game, WOTC took notice and decided to revamp the D&D minis game. In this case especially, competition from a rival company is a good thing for us and the games that we love to play.....Keep Posting Man! 
Welcome to the battlefront dude, and our posts actually did make a difference. Case in point, as soon as we started posting about the Paizo's Pathfinder miniature game, WOTC took notice and decided to revamp the D&D minis game. In this case especially, competition from a rival company is a good thing for us and the games that we love to play.....Keep Posting Man! 

Paizo has a Pathfinder miniatures game?

I doubt Paizo's decision had anything to do with what Wizards was going to do.  Most likely they were planning to do something with mini's but didn't have a concrete idea for a long time.
I doubt Paizo's decision had anything to do with what Wizards was going to do.  Most likely they were planning to do something with mini's but didn't have a concrete idea for a long time.

I doubt that too, at least not with anything posted on these boards about the Paizo minis.

Unless WotC just made up the claim that they are working on a new mini game upon Paizo's announcement about their new miniatures line, such a project has much more lead time.

Maybe they had some insider information about what Paizo was up to through contacts with the manufacturers one needs to go to for starting a miniatures line and thus decided to re-start their own minis well in advance of Paizo's public announcement, but otherwise the timeframe doesn't fit

Yep, Pathfinder will be releasing their miniature game early Januaray 2012. I already put down $200.00 on a case at a local gaming shop, I'm also going to get exclusive Black Dragon, that you only can get when you peorder a case of miniatures before the beginning of October 2011. Unfortunately the cut-off date in getting the exclusive miniature has already past, now you only can get the Black Dragon in the secondary market.

Yep, Pathfinder will be releasing their miniature game early Januaray 2012. I already put down $200.00 on a case at a local gaming shop, I'm also going to get exclusive Black Dragon, that you only can get when you peorder a case of miniatures before the beginning of October 2011. Unfortunately the cut-off date in getting the exclusive miniature has already past, now you only can get the Black Dragon in the secondary market.

Actually there are still shops who offer the exclusive black if you buy a case now. This deadline is only for ordering directly from Paizo

Yep, Pathfinder will be releasing their miniature game early Januaray 2012. I already put down $200.00 on a case at a local gaming shop, I'm also going to get exclusive Black Dragon, that you only can get when you peorder a case of miniatures before the beginning of October 2011. Unfortunately the cut-off date in getting the exclusive miniature has already past, now you only can get the Black Dragon in the secondary market.

If you're talking about Pathfinder Battles yeah, I read about that a while back but is that actually a game or just minis?  I didn't see anything indicating it was an actual game.  I read about some people requesting skirmish-game rules for PF Battles but I didn't see anything about whether that would happen or not other than speculation.  That's why I posted - AFAIK it's not a game with rules - just cool minis.  Would be easy enough for them to make a game around it though.

EDIT:  WotC based their DDM rules off of 3.5 and then 4e.  If Paizo wanted to do a skirmish game to go along with their minis, would they be able to base it off of PF seeing as that's OGL?  If there really isn't a game to go along with these minis, perhaps that's why ... they might have to create their own entirely new game (this is speculation, I don't know whether there is a game or not, I just can't find any info on it other than people requesting one, which makes me think there isn't).

It's suppose to be a skirmish game just like the original 3.5 Miniatures Game with some differences, Red.
Aiight, let's clear some of the confusion, shall we?

Fist off, there are NO plans for a pathfinder skrismish game at this time. They are only mulling it over, waiting to learn if there is a large enough interest in it.

As far as Wizard's own relaugh, there are a few notable differences, the most notable being that this will be a DICELESS game, relying on action cards as opposed to dice.

No word if these are all new sculpts or reprints.

Now why make this a eother or scenario? If you love using miniatures as i do (i have 4 collections worth of wizard's D&D, some metal, and i have two cases of pathfinder mins i intend to use. period. no need to be narrow minded.

Yes more miniatures please!  WotC DDM Miniatures have been the coolest representations of D&D miniatures I've ever had the pleasure to own and play, please make:

tiny pixies

huge black, adamantine, brown, gray, purple, silver, shadow, mirage, blight, vampire, bronze, brass, cobalt, orium, mercury, mithral, and steel dragons

small faerie dragons

uncommon dragonborn, goliaths, deva, gnomes, half-orcs, shifters, etc.

large liondrakes and drakkensteeds  

more mounted figures with medium counterparts

more dungeon dressing   

Just for starters Tongue Out

Teo    

I hear ya. I've hade to make a mounted version for all my players. I used horses from Safari's toobe collection and hacked some minis to make them. It can get pretty pricey when you have to get two per player, not to mention time consuming. Here are my first three: 

fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/029/8/4/...

frakmaster.deviantart.com/art/Altiar-mou...
q=gallery%3Afrakmaster%2F12950995&qo=5

frakmaster.deviantart.com/art/Paladin-mi...

fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/029/2/5/...

fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/029/d/b/...

Fantastic work!
I will not purchase any of the enormous "miniatures" like Orcus and the Red Dragon. They are just too big to put on a map.

I do LOVE the Elder Draogns though, I would like to see them finish the set with an Elder Black, Elder Silver and Elder Gold Dragon. Perhaps even another Elder Red Dragon, the original pose is rather subdued for the king of dragons.

The Pixies, Quicklings and Faries are other similar Fey creatures are under represented.

I prefer the look of the newer Orcs over the original Orcs, so more of those would be appreciated.

I am one of the few that even like the Dinosaurs, not a lot of them, but the occasional one. A T-Rex would be a great addition.

Peace