Mystic Theurge and Wizard Variant : Domain Wizard (3.5 rules)

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,

I plan to play a Mystic Theurge prestige class (DM p.192) and before that, I was looking at the Wizard Variant:Domain Wizard (UA p.58).

Could someone confirm (or invalidate) that the Domain Wizard gets access to new spells from his domain, while he progresses in his Mystic Theurge class, please?

Thanks,
--
Neniel
When a Cleric takes Mystic Theurge he continues to get that extra domain spell slot and access to the Domain spells that fill it.  These are all basic parts of the cleric spellcasting.

It appears to me that the Domain Wizard (I'm looking in the SRD.) gets the free domain spell when it becomes available in addition to the two free spells a Wizard normally gets.  Now unless you DM wouldn't allow a character advancing in MT to get his two "free" spells to add to his wizard's spellbook then there is no reason the character should not get the free Domain spell.

Now the one issue I have isn't related to the question but focused on the Domain Wizard variant:  Is there ANY drawback associated with that variation or does it just give one of the strongest classes even more power?  It has all of the Wizard class feature PLUS it gains a free domain spell slot for each spell level AND gains a free "spell known" of each spell level AND finally casts those spells with a +1 caster level.  A free spell known, free spell slot, and free power increase all for no cost to one of the most powerful classes available, hopefully I'm not the only one who has a problem with that.

Thanks ( again Wink)  StevenO for your answer.

In fact the Domain Wizard does loose some of the "standard" Wizard benefits, as he cannot summon a familiar and does not have any extra metamagic feat every 5 levels. But it is true that in the Mystic Theurge case, it would offer a much better combination as:

- The Mystic Theurge class does not make the "standard" Wizard familiar power grow while advancing in levels. For this reason, the familiar would only become a weak point at higher levels.

- As I plan to switch to the Mystic Theurge class asap (i.e. 3rd level of profane caster), I would never benefit from the extra metamagic feats provided by the "standard" Wizard anyway.

--
Neniel
In fact the Domain Wizard does loose some of the "standard" Wizard benefits, as he cannot summon a familiar and does not have any extra metamagic feat every 5 levels.

That's not I what I see where the srd talks about the Variant Domain Wizard.  No where does it mention giving up the familiar (which often isn't used anyway) or the bonus feats although those are both part of the "standard wizard class features."

Now advancing in a PrC may not allow the wizard to get those bonus feats but its familiar DOES advance in ability every time the character levels up.  The familiar may not get new abilities off of the familiar table but everything else improves right along with the character because most of the other things are based on the character.  As I like to point out a human Wizard 1 and Great Wyrm Gold Dragon Wizard 1 may both get familiars who have the first line of extra abilities (INT 6, +1 Natural Armor, Improved Evasion and a few other things) but that dragon's familiar is still a LOT stronger than the human's and in all honesty could probably destroy that Human Wizard 1 without any additional help. 
You are 100% right StevenO, reading the Unearthed Aracana (which gives the same info as the link you provided), it looks like there is no counterbalance in exchange of this extra domain.

I will anyway offer my DM to get rid off all the "standard" Wizard benefits to get a chance to play this class Laughing
--
Neniel
You are 100% right StevenO, reading the Unearthed Aracana (which gives the same info as the link you provided), it looks like there is no counterbalance in exchange of this extra domain.

I will anyway offer my DM to get rid off all the "standard" Wizard benefits to get a chance to play this class Laughing
--
Neniel

I'd also give up the "standard" Wizard benefits for the free spells, slots, and extra power.  Most of the time that means a familiar which I may not even use and the Scribe Scroll feat which can be nice to have but does it really compare to an extra spell slot?

You know what I instituted here?  I also noticed that they were being given "something for nothing" a long time ago.  So, I require a Domain Wizard to have a talisman on his person to gain the benefits.  Lose or have the talisman taken away, lose the extra slot, +1 CL, etc.  (Can't really take away the free spell learned...)

Examples:
John Ross' staff (Terry Brooks)
Elric's ring of kings (Michael Moorcock)

It's a "Domain" wizard, right?  Just look at it as needing a "holy symbol" like a cleric to make the domain powers work.  Otherwise, you're just a normal wizard. 

Neue
Sign In to post comments