Beyond the Crystal Cave Witch Auguries (DM Only)

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi there. Steve Townshend here. I wrote the first draft of the season, and at the request of the Right Honourable Steve Winter, I'm stopping by on occasion to add color.

In posting the session 1 notes, I stumbled across a bit of flavor you may or may not want to play with. Your choice.

My original version of this adventure was long. Very, very long. It contained a lot of crazy stuff I had to cut. Here's an element for those playing the witch subclass, should they wish to pester you with that Augury power I irresponsibly wrote for them in Heroes of the Feywild. It's all rather vague, but should give the witch player something to contemplate in coming weeks. If I used this, I'd probably let the witch player in on each of the events in the auguries after those events came to pass--just say to the player, "You realize now when you think about it..."
They may think it's ridiculous. They may be tickled. It's yours to toy with.
Anyway, here it is:

Show
The Witch’s Auguries

When the characters take an extended rest between each chapter of the adventure, the witch can perform an augury, prophesying events to come in the near future. Here are the witch spotlights for chapters 2 and 3.

Witch Spotlight: The First Augury

This spotlight occurs when the witch receives the benefit of an extended rest, at the beginning of chapter 2. When the witch takes the extended rest, read: 

You cast your runes, channel spirits, or mumble incantations, opening your eyes to a glimpse of the future, revealed as follows: An act of theft or mischief leads to trust and honor. A seeming foe becomes a friend. A man is wise to run from the devil. There will come a revelation, and a cat to scratch a man to death.

The act of theft or mischief is either the theft of the unicorns or the destruction of the mead in session 5, earning the favor of one of the fey. The foe becoming a friend refers to the treant or dryad the characters set off to face in session 6, that instead helps them find Orlando. The devil is the half-devil in session 7. The cat to scratch a man to death is Basal, who attempts to kill Orlando in session 8.

Witch Spotlight: The Second Augury

This spotlight occurs when the witch receives the benefit of an extended rest, at the beginning of chapter 3. When the witch takes the extended rest, read:

You cast your runes, channel spirits, or mumble incantations, opening your eyes to a glimpse of the future, revealed as follows: The sweetest path oft leads one astray. Who can one trust but oneself? The order undone must be right once again. And a heart of stone cannot abide itself.  

The sweetest path leading one astray refers to the sickeningly sweet red roses on the southern path of the labyrinth in session 10. Trusting oneself refers to the mirror-like pool in session 11, whereby a character must convince his or her reflection to open the doors of the palace. The order undone becoming right again refers to the way the disorder and chaos in the two rooms in session 12 must be reordered for the water stairway to appear. The heart of stone that cannot abide itself is the witch’s bloodstone pendant that can be used against her in session 13.

Good times. 
Very nice.  We don't have a Witch in our group right now but it's so large that when we split it into two table next week, I may introduce a Witch NPC to assist the smaller group of four.  And even if not, these auguries would work great in the form of a psychic vision to someone at the right time.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Just a quick bump of this thread to the top because of the first use of the augury in tonight's session.
Just a quick bump of this thread to the top because of the second use of the augury in tonight's session.
Sign In to post comments