11/23/2011 StF: "Postcards from Innistrad: The Basics"

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Savor the Flavor, which goes live Wednesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Hey Adam, good to see you getting a writing credit.  I'm afraid all I can think of to say about this article is that I enjoyed it very much.  Woe for the fact that good news is no news.

My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
I truly hope that in the end of this story in Innistrad there is a hopeful conclusion.  For the past few worlds evil almost always succeeds in it's endeavours with the loss of what represents goodness.  Bant was lost on Alara, the Eldrazi have been released with no hope for Zendikar, Mirrodin has been butchered by the Phyrexians, and now we look upon a world that is about to be ripped apart by evil itself.  With the title of the next set being 'Dark Ascension', I do not feel that things are going to go well for what it good and true.  It seems that the Magic universe is a very unsafe one at this moment, things never go right and those that are subjected to suffering are never given any sense of hope that things will get better in the near future. Here's hoping that the light will be shining soon in the Mulitiverse.

I love basic land art as a means of setting the scene for a set. I actually really liked the way there  were new basic lands in New Phyrexia boosters; I found it very effective at showing how the world had changed. 

Whenever I build a new deck (which I do quite a lot), I always try to find basic lands which fit the flavour. For example, if it's a valiant, hopeful white deck, I'll use Ravnica Plains 288. On the other hand, if the white cards are spooky and claustrophobic, I'll use Shadowmoor plains; if the white is evil and oppressive, I'll use Ravnica plains 287; if the white is all supporting artifacts, I'll use Mirrodin or Scars plains or the Esper plains from Shards of Alara

Unfortunately, I have virtually no Innistrad basic lands, which means I'm missing out on all of this for the new set. I don't get to use themed basics for the Innistrad decks I build, and I don't get to think myself into the setting. 

Guess why that is? Why, it's the fault of the DFCs, of course! I've opened some reasonable amount of Innistrad boosters, but the stupid, useless checklist card occupies the slot that rightfully belongs to a beautiful basic land. Gah. As if we didn't have enough reasons to hate DFCs.
Aren't poststamps a horrible anachronism? :P
I truly hope that in the end of this story in Innistrad there is a hopeful conclusion.  For the past few worlds evil almost always succeeds in it's endeavours with the loss of what represents goodness.  Bant was lost on Alara, the Eldrazi have been released with no hope for Zendikar, Mirrodin has been butchered by the Phyrexians, and now we look upon a world that is about to be ripped apart by evil itself.  With the title of the next set being 'Dark Ascension', I do not feel that things are going to go well for what it good and true.  It seems that the Magic universe is a very unsafe one at this moment, things never go right and those that are subjected to suffering are never given any sense of hope that things will get better in the near future. Here's hoping that the light will be shining soon in the Mulitiverse.

I for one am a huge fan of stories in which the bad guys win, because they're so rare. In almost every story out there, good prevails and evil is either weakened or wiped out entirely. Stories where this is not the case (and no, a last-ten-pages teaser of another villain rising doesn't count as "not a happy ending"; it's a sequel hook, that's it) mix it up, keep reading fresh, and greatly interest me.
However, you're right in saying that Magic has overdone it lately. I do think that Innistrad will end happily, though, since Dark Ascension is only the SECOND set of three, meaning the third is almost certainly an underdog victory for the good guys.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

Alara - Bant weren't really the good guys and the plane was restored to the way it should be, with all colours of mana (and all philosophies) present. It isn't like Grixis took over and killed everyone.

New Phyrexia - Fair enough, bad guys won. And they definitely are the bad guys.

Zendikar - Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Zendikar actually beat the Eldrazi? As in, wipe them out? I mean that's what the card Near-Death Experience is all about.
MaRo said they wanted to build Magic's 'Rogues Gallery', so they had to have villians previal to a certain extend in the last few storylines (Bolas, Phyrexia, Eldrazi), to be able to use them with more impact in the future. 

Alara - Bant weren't really the good guys and the plane was restored to the way it should be, with all colours of mana (and all philosophies) present. It isn't like Grixis took over and killed everyone.

Exactly, it was only "ruined" in Elspeth's point of view, because she ran when things first started to change. While there are still wars going on between the shards, there's not really anybody winning, and Ajani is still around trying to help people.

New Phyrexia - Fair enough, bad guys won. And they definitely are the bad guys.

True, but I'm still annoyed that the "heros" were thrown in at the last minute and suffered for it, just because MaRo wanted to tell a story(the planes conversion into NPH) that shouldn't have actually happened in the first place, since there was barely anyone left on the plane after the first block.

Zendikar - Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Zendikar actually beat the Eldrazi? As in, wipe them out? I mean that's what the card Near-Death Experience is all about.

Wrong. Near Death refers to one specific battle against a bunch of spawn, and the three titans are still at large, but Gideon has left to try and gather reinforcements.

Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.

Wrong. Near Death refers to one specific battle against a bunch of spawn, and the three titans are still at large, but Gideon has left to try and gather reinforcements.

If you say so, I don't read mtg books or anything, I only go by cards. So if you're going by stuff outside the cards I can't argue with you.

To me it looks like Near Death Experience depicts a dead Emrakul and talks about victory. It seems like the card shows the defeat of the Eldrazi. I mean I guess the thing that looks just like a dead Emrakul may not be Emrakul, but you have to admit it looks more like a dead Emrakul than anything else.

But I guess the artist and the canon backstory could not be in synch.

Hey I found a whole bunch of pages in this thread discussing the card:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

Couple of people thinking the same thing as me, someone thinking the emrakul is still alive, a load of people correcting them based on,.. the book I guess?
Took a bit of digging, but I found my source, the battle depicted on Near Death is The Battle of Fort Keff; www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...

The book sucked, it just had Nissa and Sorin walk across the plane to the Eye of Ugin then Nissa acted like an idiot and freed the titans (apparently just the spawn were realised by Jace and Chandra's stupidity)
Official Speaker of the Expanded Multiverse Project, Step into Dominia-Embrace the infinite Magic of the Planes. This -> is my favorite smiley, I will use it often and without reason. You have been warned.
The Story of My Love
79035425 wrote:
BURSTING WITH VIGOR!
Trolljuju wiped the sweat from his brow as he continued his slow trudge up the snowy mountain. The wind was strong and fiercely cold, but he pressed against it. Juju knew Beast Engine was somewhere at the peak, waiting for him. But this was not a matter of confronting the forces of nature themselves; that had been accomplished long before, and was now too easy to maintain the manly man's interest. Today, Beast Engine was here waiting for a friend. Trolljuju's mind drifted from his appointment to thoughts of Beast Engine's manliness. The only man in history to punch the fossilized remains of a dinosaur back to life just to punch it to death again. The man who deflected bullets with his pectoral muscles during his daily assassination attempts. The man who cured cancer with a serum made from pure crystalized virility. The man who burst with vigor. Not just a man but a Man- the manliest of all men. A god of masculinity in physical form. Trolljuju's heart fluttered at the memory of him and lightened his steps as he pressed on. Suddenly, he was shaken from his reverie by a deep, powerful rumble in the mountain that shook him to his core. Instinctively, he threw himself to the ground just before the slope ahead of him exploded in a fiery wall of light and heat. So great was the force that the entire upper section of the mountain was vaproized. It scorched Juju's coat, then rose on the air to drift far away, a plume of white-hot ash. When Trolljuju lifted his head to see what was left behind, he beheld a wide, perfectly flat stone plateau, and in the distance he could see a muscular figure, his foot still held up from the kick. There was no doubt it was Beast Engine. As soon as the ground beneath him cooled, Juju cast his heavy pack aside and ran. As the figure grew with closeness, he could see Beast Engine was nude, as was expected. The snow that fell near him turned to a thin wall of steam, looking to Trolljuju's eyes like a barrier. Engine was too strong, too manly to occupy the same space as the ordinary universe. He lived in a world all his own. But fortunately for Juju, it was only an illusion. He ran at full speed into Engine, who caught him with both arms and effortlessly twirled with him, resting with Juju dipped low to the ground in Engine's arms. "Beast Engine, my love," Trolljuju breathed, sturck with awe at Engine's masculine beauty despite the familiarity of his face. Engine just smiled, radiating from every inch of him with incredible strength, yet gentle warmth. "It's been so long, Juju. I've missed you." "Forgive me. I lost contact with you while you were boxing with Death to win back and consume the soul of Theodore Roosevelt. But now I'm here..." Juju lifted one tentative hand to Engine's face, but he pulled away. "You know I cannot give you what you seek. Were we to make love, your body would be destroyed by the force." "I know, of course I would," Juju responded, tears in his eyes. "May I have, at least, one kiss?" "Very well. For you, my friend." Slowly, gingerly, they came closer. But the moment their lips met, a flood of unbridled manliness rushed into Trolljuju, body and soul, and every cell in his body exploded. Beast Engine fell to his knees, and in his grief, he wept. The tears that fell from his face burned deep into the rock beneath him. But slowly, his sorrow turned to conviction. He beat the crap out of Death once. He could do it again.
I wonder how the flavour text on the card ended up so divorced from that plot. There have to be quite a lot of players out there who, having seen Near Death Experience, think Gideon killed Emrakul already.
I love basic land art as a means of setting the scene for a set. I actually really liked the way there  were new basic lands in New Phyrexia boosters; I found it very effective at showing how the world had changed.

This.
Guess why that is? Why, it's the fault of the DFCs, of course! I've opened some reasonable amount of Innistrad boosters, but the stupid, useless checklist card occupies the slot that rightfully belongs to a beautiful basic land. Gah. As if we didn't have enough reasons to hate DFCs.

I actually wish they'd had every booster pack contain a checklist card, since every one contained a DFC.  The fact that they didn't do this (well, and the fact that Civilized Scholar and Cloistered Youth aren't a full cycle of color-changing DFCs) is the only thing about DFCs I don't like.  Really, with the amount of Magic in circulation, attractive basic lands are a vanity product at this point; I wouldn't have a problem with them being isolated to particular products and entirely left out of booster packs.  It's not like the number of them you get from buying boosters is terribly relevant anyway, unless you buy a case.
My New Phyrexia Writing Credits My M12 Writing Credits
As far as the benefit of the rest of Magic is concerned, gold cards in Legends were executed perfectly. They got all the excitement a designer could hope out of a splashy new mechanic without using up any of the valuable design space. Truly amazing. --Aaron Forsythe's Random Card Comment on Kei Takahashi
I would have preferred if they'd given us blank cards with proper magic backs instead of checklist cards. If you think about it, the checklist card is flat out less useful than a blank card because it's harder to write the info on clearly to make the proxy.

I don't even use the checklist cards and instead take a rubbish white common and write on it in black marker what the card is.
Sign In to post comments