New monsters in old monster builder?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Is there an easy way to import new monsters (ie, Dark Sun, Monster Vault, etc) into the old offline monster builder -- as in, easier than manually adding each entry? I still have the old version and I can't rely on the online version, as I don't always have internet access when DMing.
Officially, no, since the offline builder is no longer supported.  You may have better luck using your internet search engine of choice.

/me shrugs @'s
Come join Team Apathy! or not whatever shrug.gif

Yo! tm  afro.gif

I reccomend just exporting the monsters into a word document or taking a screen shot. Save the monsters you need for that session. 

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

Officially, no, since the offline builder is no longer supported.  You may have better luck using your internet search engine of choice.

/me shrugs @'s

I tried Google. Couldn't find anything. That's why I posted here. 

I reccomend just exporting the monsters into a word document or taking a screen shot. Save the monsters you need for that session. 

Well, I'm currently not a DDI subscriber, so I don't have access to the online tools anymore. I'll probably do that once I renew my subscription but I just started a Dark Sun game and I'd like an easier option to modify Dark Sun monsters than to manually input them into the old builder from my copy of the book.
TBSS, the new stuff is in the new tools, not much else I can really say. *shrugs*
Q.  Can I get subscriber-only content without being a subscriber?

A.  No.  That's the whole idea.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Don't waste your time with the old builder as it's so full of bugs you'll be driven mad with frustration. Disappearing triggers, changing speed values, changing resistance values, etc. etc. Entering large amounts of data into that builder is a chore that can only end in tears. IMO The new monster builder is now functional enough that the old one is history. I also have poor access to the internet where I play, so I use a PDF printer like cutePDF to save all of my monster files so they're ready to go on game night.

Monster stats are subscriber-only content? That's funny, I haven't renewed my subscription since Essentials released, but I have the books on my shelf.

Less sarcastically, I understand what you mean. I just want an easier way to import stats from a book that I've paid for into a program that I've paid for. 

Don't waste your time with the old builder as it's so full of bugs you'll be driven mad with frustration. Disappearing triggers, changing speed values, changing resistance values, etc. etc. Entering large amounts of data into that builder is a chore that can only end in tears. IMO The new monster builder is now functional enough that the old one is history. I also have poor access to the internet where I play, so I use a PDF printer like cutePDF to save all of my monster files so they're ready to go on game night.

I haven't had too much trouble with bugs, but I have noticed the disappearing triggers and resistances from time to time.

Anyway, this is the best suggestion I've seen so far. Thanks! No matter what happens, though, I'm definitely keeping the old builder around for times when I have my laptop and a monster idea but no internet access. 

Monster stats are subscriber-only content? That's funny, I haven't renewed my subscription since Essentials released, but I have the books on my shelf.

Less sarcastically, I understand what you mean. I just want an easier way to import stats from a book that I've paid for into a program that I've paid for. 

Yes.  Monster stats in the electronic tools are subscriber-only content.  You stopped paying for the program, therefore you don't get to use it anymore.  You do know what "subscription" means right?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

Yes.  Monster stats in the electronic tools are subscriber-only content.  You stopped paying for the program, therefore you don't get to use it anymore.  You do know what "subscription" means right?

I stopped paying for the program because they stopped giving me the option to. If I renewed my subscription I would be paying for an online-only app, when I prefer an offline program.
Is there an easy way to import new monsters (ie, Dark Sun, Monster Vault, etc) into the old offline monster builder -- as in, easier than manually adding each entry? I still have the old version and I can't rely on the online version, as I don't always have internet access when DMing.

Check out Masterplan. It's a free program that has a much better monster builder plus a bunch of other functions. It is far superior to anything I've seen from WotC. The only thing they have going for them (which admittedly is a strong selling point) is that they've already entered the data into their programs for you. There are ways to save that data to your computer but it does require that you be a subscriber. Simply owning the books is not enough unless you choose to enter the data in manually (I've done it for 3pp books, it's not fun but if you do it in bits in pieces, prioritizing based on what you are most likely to use, it isn't too terribly bad).
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.

I would just like to clarify.  At NO time did you ever PAY for the offline MB.  It came as part of your subscription and it was intended that it work just like the online tools do now.  No longer a subscriber?  No more access.