Pazio annouches Pathfinder MMO

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I can't copy and paste here. But head over to the Pazio site to see the great news. 

Looks interesting but I wonder if they can pull it off. So many have tried and failed despite the backing of some big money players in the gaming industry. Their approach of inviting investors to pay for the start up cost doesn't fill me with confidence.

Lets face it, every new fantasy MMO has to build its player base by taking players from another MMO, specifically the big guns of WoW, LotRO, and EVE. Those games have raised the bar very high and stealing away their players will require something amazing from Paizo.

In 2008, the CEO of activision said it would cost $500 million to dethrone WoW. I don't think Paizo would even dream of attempting that daunting task, but that number gives you the idea of the costs required to be a serious contender in this industry.

Good luck Paizo, you're going to need it.
And what this has to do with DDI ?

This Thread should be moved. 
It will be. I will be moving it to RPG General Discussion:

community.wizards.com/go/forum/view/7588...
Mudbunny SVCL for DDI Before you post, think of the Monkeysphere
not to necro (not that this forum gets much traffic... But can we start compairing PF to WoW now?

Play whatever the **** you want. Never Point a loaded party at a plot you are not willing to shoot. Arcane Rhetoric. My Blog.

So... basically they're copying DDO Stormreach now?
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.

That's a rather assinine statement.  MMOs existed before Stormreach.  And frankly, Stormreach isn't even a blip on the radar compared to WoW or the other top MMOs.

That's a rather assinine statement.  MMOs existed before Stormreach.  And frankly, Stormreach isn't even a blip on the radar compared to WoW or the other top MMOs.

Do you think the Pathfinder MMO will fare much better?

Do you think the Pathfinder MMO will fare much better?

Maybe, maybe not.  The point is, MMOs have existed in one form or another almost since the dawn of video games, so to say that just because Paizo is putting one out they're copying a mediocre game that's only been around for a couple of years.

More as in; they took 3.5 and released Pathfinder. Now, they're copying making a Pathfinder MMO... which is basically mechanically just like Stormreach if they're actually basing it on their ruleset. Since the rulesets are so similar.

I wonder how it's going to work out though. The MMO market is tough business.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.

More as in; they took 3.5 and released Pathfinder. Now, they're copying making a Pathfinder MMO... which is basically mechanically just like Stormreach if they're actually basing it on their ruleset. Since the rulesets are so similar.

I wonder how it's going to work out though. The MMO market is tough business.

Actually, it's not going to be based on the d20 ruleset.  Probably because the people behind it realize that, while it's great for a tabletop game, it's not really all that suited for an MMO.
Sign In to post comments