Single power discussion: Dimensional Scramble

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
As a level 1 at-will area burst 1 teleportation power, the psion's Dimensional Scramble is one of the more interesting battlefield rearrangement powers. The power also has a little less obvious secondary use, namely teleporting enemies into the air for additional falling damage and proning if they fail their saving throw. The power is party-unfriendly when unaugmented, but by investing 1 power point the power only hits enemies, and 2 power points increase the damage by 1d6 and broadens the teleport options. It attacks Fortitude and has the Augmentable, Psionic and Teleportation keyword, which may or may not be relevant. 

Now that we've established that Dimensional Scramble has interesting options, what ways are there to optimize this power? Can you increase the size of the burst, thereby dealing even more falling damage? Can you make use of the fact that teleportation isn't forced movement and hurt enemies for moving closer to you? Can you abuse the keywords, or the fact that it attacks Fort? 
It is fantastic with Dreamwalker...

"you teleport the target to a square adjacent to the burst."(or in with augment 2)
"you can target one additional enemy that is outside the burst and adjacent to your dream form."

i.e. at 16th level, whoever your dream form adds as an additional target ends up teleported next to the burst. And you're allowed to use the dream form as where you are effectively in terms of power use.
Nice.  Put that burst 10 squares up and you can teleport a badguy next to your dream form 12 squares up.  6d10 plus your attack's damage.  Ouch.  Or, put the burst really far away on the ground and near a corner, to shove the badguy far enough away that it can't attack your party this turn without forcing a saving throw.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
In order to summon your dream form 12 squares up, you have to use an augmented power 12 squares up, which would be a waste of a standard action & a power point.  One heck of a benefit, though!
Or you could fly and start dropping mad teleport bombs on fools like that. That'd work too.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
In order to summon your dream form 12 squares up, you have to use an augmented power 12 squares up, which would be a waste of a standard action & a power point.  One heck of a benefit, though!

No need. You can conjure your Dream Form anywhere within a burst 10 of yourself, regardless of the of where you use the augmented power.

So you conjure it next to an enemy, and then cast Dimensional Scramble 10 squares into the air. Because of the level 16 benefit, you can also target the enemy next to your Dream Form. If you hit, and the enemy fails its saving throw, it gets teleported 12 squares into the air, and takes 1d6+6d10+Int damage. 

Another combo I found is Staff of Psicraft. Once per day, you can increase the size of a psionic burst by 1, so you can deal 2d10 falling damage. If you spend 2 power points, you regain this power, but it's probably better to just augment Dimensional Scramble itself. 
So you conjure it next to an enemy, and then cast Dimensional Scramble 10 squares into the air. Because of the level 16 benefit, you can also target the enemy next to your Dream Form. If you hit, and the enemy fails its saving throw, it gets teleported 12 squares into the air, and takes 1d6+6d10+Int damage.  

I'm really not sure how that has a lot of value unless you only have one target to shoot at or you're absolutely certain the 6d10 will kill the target. 6d10*.45 = 14.85 damage on average on a hit.

On the other hand, it is a good technique for knocking down flyers - burst the flyer's friends, dreamform the flyer, put them all together. 

I'm really not sure how that has a lot of value unless you only have one target to shoot at or you're absolutely certain the 6d10 will kill the target. 6d10*.45 = 14.85 damage on average on a hit.

Don't forget that on a hit, the target is also now prone and up to 10 squares away.

Is there any way to penalize the teleport save to make the effect more reliable?

Don't forget that on a hit, the target is also now prone and up to 10 squares away.

Is there any way to penalize the teleport save to make the effect more reliable?

Remember, as a Dreamwalker, almost all your powers are bursts. So you're at a minimum giving up the option to put two enemies adjacent to each other, two enemies who likely didn't expect to be adjacent and also giving up a chance at 2+ hits for a chance at 1 hit.

That needs to be a killer 1 hit. 
Sign In to post comments