Centaur PC Race (PEACH)

21 posts / 0 new
Last post

I've always been a bit disappointed about how few games centaurs are a playable race in, especially considering their one of my favorites. Being as I enjoy playing D&D and would like to play a centaur character sometime, I thought I'd try and come up with a centaur race balanced for use as PCs. As stated in the title, I am looking for constructive criticism. If you're a DM, let me know if this is something you would or wouldn't allow to be used in your game and why. Anyway, here's what I've come up with:

Centaur
Racial Traits
Average Height: 6'2"-7'2"
Average Weight: 300-600 lb.
Ability Scores: +2 Wisdom, +2 Strength or +2 Dexterity
Size: Medium
Speed: 7 squares
Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Elven
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Nature
Fey Origin: Your ancestors were native to the Feywild, so you are considered a Fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.
Quadruped: Your carrying capacity is 25% greater than normal. You are treated as a Large creature, your reach, spacing, and weapons sizes are the same as normal medium creatures however.
Steadfast Speed: You move at your normal speed even when it would be reduced by armor or a heavy load. Other effects that limit speed (such as difficult terrain or magic) affect you normally. While not wearing heavy armor, your speed is reduced to 4 instead of 2 when you are slowed.
Powerful Jumper:  When you make an Athletics check to jump, roll twice and use either result.
Gallop: You have the Gallop encounter power.

Gallop --- Centaur Racial Power

You swiftly traverse the battlefield, quickly outpacing slower races.
Encounter
Move Action – Personal
Effect:
You move your speed + 4. You gain a +2 power bonus to all defenses against opportunity attacks made against you during this movement.

Feats

Heroic

Centaur Spear Training
Prerequisite:
Centaur
Description: You gain proficiency with longspears and greatspears. You gain a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with spears. The bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.

Centaur Bow Training
Prerequisite:
Centaur
Description: You gain proficiency with shortbows, longbows and greatbows. You gain a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with bows. The bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.

Centaur Courser
Prerequisite:
Centaur
Description:
When you run, the penalty to attack rolls is reduced to -2 and you do not grant combat advantage.

Centaur Charger
Prerequisite:
Centaur
Description:
You gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls on charge attacks. The bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level. You gain a +2 feat bonus to speed when charging.

Centaur Skirmisher
Prerequisite: Centaur
Description:
You gain a +1 bonus to damage rolls with bow attacks if you moved at least 3 squares from where you started your turn.
The bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.

Battle Stomp
Prerequisite:
Centaur
Description:
When you hit an adjacent prone target with a melee attack the target takes 5 extra damage. Does not stack with Headman's Chop.

Trample
Prerequisite:
Centaur
Description: You gain the Trample power.

Trample --- Centaur Feat Power

You race across the battlefield, running down enemies in your path.
Encounter
Standard Action – Personal
Effect: You move up to your speed and can move through enemies’ spaces during the move if that enemy is medium size or smaller. Each time you enter an enemy’s space for the first time during the move, you makes the following attack against that enemy.
Attack: Melee 0 (each enemy whose space you enter); Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom + 3 vs. Reflex
Level 11: The bonus increases to +6.
Level 21: The bonus increases to +9.
Hit: 1d6 + Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom modifier damage and if the target is knocked prone. If the target is already prone, the target takes 2 extra damage.
Level 11: 2d6 + Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom modifier damage and if the target is knocked prone. If the target is already prone, the target takes 4 extra damage.
Level 21: 4d6 + Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom modifier damage and if the target is knocked prone. If the target is already prone, the target takes 6 extra damage.
Special: When you gain this power, choose Strength, Dexterity or Wisdom as the ability score you use when making rolls with this power. This choice remains throughout your character’s life and does not change the power’s other effects.

Quick Kick

Description: You gain the Quick Kick power.

Quick Kick --- Centaur Feat Power

An enemy moves to get at your flank and the action earns them a quick kick from your powerful legs.
Encounter
Immediate Reaction – Melee 1
Trigger: A creature moves into a space where they flank you.
Target: The triggering creature.
Attack: Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom + 3 vs. Reflex
Level 11: The bonus increases to +6.
Level 21: The bonus increases to +9.
Hit: 1d6 + Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom modifier damage and if the target is medium or smaller they are knocked prone and you may push them 1 square.
Level 11: 2d6 + Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom modifier damage.
Level 21: 4d6 + Strength, Dexterity, or Wisdom modifier damage.
Special: When you gain this power, choose Strength, Dexterity or Wisdom as the ability score you use when making rolls with this power. This choice remains throughout your character’s life and does not change the power’s other effects.

Epic

Centaur Spear Master:

Prerequisite: 21st level, Centaur, Centaur Spear Training
Description: When you make a weapon attack with a spear, you can score a critical hit on a natural roll of 19 or 20.

Centaur Lancer:
Prerequisite: 21st level, Centaur, proficiency with lance
Description: You are considered to be mounted when wielding a lance.

Misc. Feats

Unicorn Ancestor (Unicorn Bloodline)

Description:
At some point in your family's history somehow there was a unicorn, and you've inherited some of that ancestor's blood; this may manifest itself in a fairer complexion and, most commonly, a horn similar to that of the magical creature's. You gain Unicorn's Touch as a utility power. Also, you gain a +2 bonus to Nature checks.

Unicorn's Touch --- Centaur Feat Utility

The touch of your magical horn instantly heals wounds.
Daily --- Healing
Minor Action – Melee touch
Target: One creature
Effect: You spend a healing surge but regain no hit points. Instead, the target regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge and may make a saving throw against one effect that a save can end. You must have at least one healing surge remaining to use this power.

Size: Medium

Thank you for not making me need to go into yet another centaur thread to explain why large size does not work on a PC race.

Quadruped:
Your carrying capacity is 25% greater than normal. You are treated as a Large creature, your reach, spacing, and weapons sizes are the same as normal medium creatures however.
Reach is not a factor of size, so that's unnecessary to state. Otherwise, this doesn't seem to actually do very much, but that may not actually be a bad thing.

Encumbered Speed: You move at your normal speed even when it would be reduced by armor or a heavy load. Other effects that limit speed (such as difficult terrain or magic) affect you normally.

I know that the Dwarf gets an identical feature, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to be okay with it. In general, one should avoid racial features that are of great use to some classes and roles but pretty much useless to other classes and roles. This is such a feature, being awesome for heavily armored characters but almost entirely useless for lightly armored ones. There are better ways to mechanically represent what you're going for here.

For example, what if when slowed their speed became 3 instead of 2? You fulfill the flavor without pigeon-holing the race into any particular classes or roles. You could also combine the two, I suppose, having encumbered speed as it is but also having that or some other benefit that only works while the character does not wear heavy armor. That way, all characters benefit in some way, just not necessarily the same way. Still, it sounds quite unnecessarily excessive to me to be giving a 7-speed race a way to negate armor speed penalties.

Centaur Cavalry: You are considered mounted for the purpose of feats and powers, but not items.

That... makes no sense. I see no good thematic or mechanical reason for centaurs to be considered mounted ever. This isn't the first time I've seen a feature like this, and it isn't the first time I've had to explain that it makes no sense, but it doesn't. If your intention is to make it so that they cannot mount creatures intended to be mounted by more traditional humanoids, then just say that.

You gain proficiency with the shortbow and the spear.

Racial weapon proficiencies are another one of those things that official races get but that are still generally frowned upon when it comes to home-brews. This feature is going to be totally useless to almost every centaur character, so why bother having it? Any centaur that seriously plans on using one of these weapons will be a member of a class that already gets the relevant proficiency for free anyway. Just leave this to the racial feats.

Gallop:
You have the Gallop encounter power.

Encounter
Move Action – Personal
Effect:
You move your speed + 4.
This needs something extra. It's just too bland and underpowered as is, and I have a difficult time imagining it getting much use. Maybe add in a bonus to defenses against opportunity attacks or something?

So, to recap:
1) Either fix or preferabily remove and replace Encumbered Speed.
2) Remove Centaur Cavelry entirely.
3) Spice up Gallop somehow.

I'd say that should get you a balanced, playable, and well designed centaur race.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
And what about the classic Bariaur race of Planescape? they are medium sized, i think.
Thanks a bunch for your input.

I know that the Dwarf gets an identical feature, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to be okay with it. In general, one should avoid racial features that are of great use to some classes and roles but pretty much useless to other classes and roles. This is such a feature, being awesome for heavily armored characters but almost entirely useless for lightly armored ones. There are better ways to mechanically represent what you're going for here.
For example, what if when slowed their speed became 3 instead of 2? You fulfill the flavor without pigeon-holing the race into any particular classes or roles. You could also combine the two, I suppose, having encumbered speed as it is but also having that or some other benefit that only works while the character does not wear heavy armor. That way, all characters benefit in some way, just not necessarily the same way. Still, it sounds quite unnecessarily excessive to me to be giving a 7-speed race a way to negate armor speed penalties.

How's this then?
Steadfast Speed: You move at your normal speed even when it would be reduced by armor or a heavy load. Other effects that limit speed (such as difficult terrain or magic) affect you normally. While not wearing heavy armor, your speed is reduced to 4 instead of 2 when you are slowed.

Gallop: You have the Gallop encounter power.
This needs something extra. It's just too bland and underpowered as is, and I have a difficult time imagining it getting much use. Maybe add in a bonus to defenses against opportunity attacks or something?

Something like this?

Encounter
Move Action – Personal
Effect:
You move your speed + 4. You gain a +2 power bonus AC against opportunity attacks made against you during this movement.

A couple of quick thoughts.

Battle Stomp
Prerequisite:
Centaur
Description:
When you hit a prone target with a melee attack the target takes 5 extra damage.

Since this would completely stack with Headsman's Chop, a Centaur proner will be doing some pretty crazy damage.  And the gouge will become an even better weapon...yay.

Centaur Cavalry: You are considered mounted for the purpose of feats and powers, but not items. You gain proficiency with the shortbow and the spear.

This feature will make a Centaur with a lance pretty darn good.  Granted, small characters with the Fey tamer theme can get the same, but there are counters to mounted characters the centaur won't have to deal with (teleportation, proning, killing the mount, etc.)

Effect: You move up to your speed and can move through enemies’ spaces during the move if that enemy is small size or smaller.

How often do players face small enemies?  If you're not facing small enemies in most battles, I wouldn't think many characters would spend the feat to take this power.
A couple of quick thoughts.

Battle Stomp
Prerequisite:
Centaur
Description:
When you hit a prone target with a melee attack the target takes 5 extra damage.

Since this would completely stack with Headsman's Chop, a Centaur proner will be doing some pretty crazy damage.  And the gouge will become an even better weapon...yay.

Do you think it's too much and that I should put in a line about it not stacking with Headsman's Chop?

Centaur Cavalry: You are considered mounted for the purpose of feats and powers, but not items. You gain proficiency with the shortbow and the spear.

This feature will make a Centaur with a lance pretty darn good.

Actually, that's why I included the "but not items." part, because it seemed like there'd be no reason not to use a lance as a centaur charger because there'd be no downside. Though I may just go with Crimson_Concerto's suggestion and remove that racial trait altogether.

Effect: You move up to your speed and can move through enemies’ spaces during the move if that enemy is small size or smaller.

How often do players face small enemies?  If you're not facing small enemies in most battles, I wouldn't think many characters would spend the feat to take this power.

I was kind of torn on the decision to make it small size, because while there aren't an especially large number of small enemies, it seems odd that a medium creature (even one on the larger end of the spectrum) would be able to knock down and trample another medium creature (and, like this centaur, there are some rather large medium creatures).

Battle Stomp
Prerequisite:
Centaur
Description:

Do you think it's too much and that I should put in a line about it not stacking with Headsman's Chop?

It feels like too much to me, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to specifically state it doesn't stack with Headsman's Chop.  Maybe allow them to trample an adjacent prone creature as a minor action for X damage?  It's pretty hard to optimize something that doesn't attack and doesn't have a damage roll, but it retains the flavor.

This feature will make a Centaur with a lance pretty darn good.

Actually, that's why I included the "but not items." part, because it seemed like there'd be no reason not to use a lance as a centaur charger because there'd be no downside. Though I may just go with Crimson_Concerto's suggestion and remove that racial trait altogether.

You know, when I read it I was thinking that meant you couldn't use saddles, barding and the like.  However, you're right, what you said works.

Now that I'm thinking about it though, you're probably right that you want to drop the trait. 
The Holy Steed feat, and the Siberys Mark of Handling power specifically do some pretty crazy things when you count as your mount.  I suppose you could add text in stating that though you count as mounted, you don't actually have a mount...that can just get muddy.

Effect:You move up to your speed and can move through enemies’ spaces during the move if that enemy is small size or smaller.

I was kind of torn on the decision to make it small size, because while there aren't an especially large number of small enemies, it seems odd that a medium creature (even one on the larger end of the spectrum) would be able to knock down and trample another medium creature (and, like this centaur, there are some rather large medium creatures).

If it helps, note that several horses have trample attacks that don't mention monster size (the centaur could be kicking out at larger creatures' knees, using their weight and momentum to knock the creatures down, etc.)

I'd make the lance training apply to lances. 
I know its very un-4e to even bring this up, but is it worth addressing how a quadruped climbs a wall?
I know its very un-4e to even bring this up, but is it worth addressing how a quadruped climbs a wall?

Very carefully.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

Very carefully.

And if you don't think it should be possible, see this: mudfooted.com/goats-climbing-vertical-da...

Thanks for the link. I've always had a fondness for goats. Natural selection is wonderful.
Hahaha

I'm not gonna read this entire thread, I noticed Crimson had the first post, and he has a habit of ripping new races a new one xD
I know what he's going to say even though I didn't read it, he's gonna point out that some of the things you wrote are pointless, and he's going to kick your ass for anything culture-related.

But I'm going to be honest with you, you did a ****ing amazing job. I've seen 3 different centaurs, and this one leaves them all behind. I'd use it without hesiatation, it fits the bill for a 4e class perfectly (remember, crimson's idea of a race doesn't ;)... **** he's going to comment this thread to oblivion 'cause I said that)

The feat that gives a +5 to damage on to a prone target is too much, since that feat already exists... If you make it a power bonus or only on unarmed melee attacks (hooves) that would make it perfect ;)

5/5 stars, I'm going to read some of the comments now. It's always good to post your personaly opinion BEFORE it get's tainted by the other people on the forums ;) 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Oh, wow, I expected a lot more rage from Crimson, sorry for the harsh judging bro!

Keep it like it is, spice up the trample power (I like it as it is tho) and make sure trample doesn't stack with Headman's Chop and you are good to go!
Remember one thing about homebrewes: It's better to have to many features than to few, a DM that allows a homebrew is going to mess with it anyways, you just rather want him to remove features than add his own ;)

Enjoy playing, and please check out some if my signature links! :D 

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.
Thanks a bunch for all the feedback and critques. I've taken them into consideration and have updated the first post.
Centaur Spear Training: Greatspear is a direct upgrade over Longspear.  There's really no point in this granting Longspear proficiency, Greastpears are either the same or better in every respect.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Well, some of use still play DND as a ROLEPLAYing game, and not just a game of charopping... If a person wants something less than a greatspear, we're not gonna deny one. Imagine this, person asks "I want me centaur to have a longspear, but it only has Greatspear proficieny. Why does it only have proficiency with one type of spear? Is longspear essentially a downgraded Greatspear anyways?", Now that's when you know something is wrong.

Or the feat could just give proficiency with all spears. That far simpler than specifying and is more in line with the dwarf feat that this one seems to be based on.

Nothing.

That is all.

+1 on all spears.

Also I would give Gallop a +2 to all defenses instead of just ac.
Centaur Spear Training: Greatspear is a direct upgrade over Longspear.  There's really no point in this granting Longspear proficiency, Greastpears are either the same or better in every respect.

I actually didn't consider that. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Or the feat could just give proficiency with all spears. That far simpler than specifying and is more in line with the dwarf feat that this one seems to be based on.

This I did consider, but the feat I was basing it on was actually this one:

Valenar Weapon Training

Heroic Tier

Prerequisite: Elf

Benefit: You gain proficiency and a +2 feat bonus to damage rolls with scimitars, double scimitars, and falchions. The bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and +4 at 21st level.

And I didn't want to give proficiency with too many weapons. I tried to just give a proficiency with one or two martial spears and one superior spear (or bows for the archery version of the feat I listed) like in the quoted feat. Do you think it'd be fine to just grant proficiency with all spears? If that change was made, do you think other changes would have to be made to it as well?

Say all simple and martial spears, there are some wicked superior spears out there, gouge for instance.