Charop Challenge: Healing Surge higher than bloodied value?

19 posts / 0 new
Last post

As the title says, is it possible to get a healing surge value higher than your bloodied value at any level? If so, what sort of build would it be.

Off the top of my head, I'd think an Earthstrength Warden would be the best candidate, but I'm probably missing something.  

NOTE: This is a purely Theo Op and not for an actually playable build, I thought it would be fun to see if this is possible.  

It's not a matter of Right vs. Left, it's a matter of right vs. wrong My Charop Works Who Am I Really? The Theme Handbook I'm an
D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium
No...

You want minimal HP.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Perhaps a Dragonborn Arcanist at Level 1 with a decent Con mod.  Or possibly, something along those lines.
I've been messing around a bit, best I've managed thus far is a surge value 1 lower than bloodied value.

First-level dragonborn wizard, 18 or 20 con, wearing a belt of Vigor, Undead Hunter feat.

So close! Anyone have any ideas to do better?

Edit: That's 28 hit points (10 base + 18 con), so bloodied value 14. Surge value is 13 (7 base + 4 con + 1 Undead Hunter + 1 item).
First level dragonborn assassin, 18 or 20 con, wearing a belt of vigor, swift recovery feat.

If you have to actually create the character (can't depend on the belt dropping during the first level), take a background that gives you religion, bump him up to second level and add undead hunter feat.
Level 1 human Swordmage/Wizard, 8 con, 20 str, belt of vigor, Vigor of the Blade Adept feat, Lashing Asp daily. For one encounter per day, you have a bloodied value of 10 (half of [8 con + 5 hybrid wizard + 7 hybrid swordmage]) and a surge value of 11 (5 base + 5 str mod + 1 belt).
Not to steal the focus of this thread, but why not try to do it for a case that really wants it, such as a Vampire?
Something that would be more playable...

Feat Bonus

Swift Recovery (endurance heroic feat) is +3/4/5 feat bonus to healing surge value

Item Bonus

Armor of durability gives a (=enhancement) item bonus to healing surge value
Belt of Vigor gives a +1/2/3 item bonus to healing surge value
Battlescarred Champion gives a +1/2/3 item bonus to healing surge value
Ring of Regeneration gives a +3 item bonus to your healing surge value
Dauntless Champion's Ring gives a +4 item bonus to your healing surge value

Untyped Bonus

Dwarven Durability (dwarf paragon feat) gives 2 healing surges and con mod to healing surge value
4 items from the Raiment of the World Spirit set gives +4 bonus to your healing surge value
Amulet of Vigor gives a (enhancement-1) bonus to healing surge value
Dragonheart level 30 increases healing surge value by 10
Undead Hunter (religion feat) gives a +1 to healing surge value

Conditional Bonus

Belt of Blood gives CON mod to healing surge value *when bloodied*
Belt of Mountain Endurance adds STR mod to healing surge value *when you spend a surge*
Vigor of the Blade Adept (swordmage heroic feat) is STR mod to healing surge value *while in a swordmage stance*

*(could make a difference to some effects)*

So a Dwarf with STR (26) or CON (28) primary class (preferably a class with lower HP, like ranger = 12+CON) will have 200 HP, base surge 50... multiclassed into swordmage with at least one encounter stance powerswap, Undead Hunter (+1), Swift Recovery (+5), Vigor of the Blade Adept (+8), Dwarven Durability (+9), Dragonheart (+10), wearing +6 armor of durability (+6), a +6 amulet of vigor (+5), and a belt of mountain endurance (+8) will have a surge value of 104 when spending a surge while in a swordmage stance, and a bloodied value of only 100.

1st level dragonborn from a 13 hp class (note that a 10 hp class would be the same surge value but less total hp, so not really worth it - and getting 13 hp will probably mean avenger hybrid, but there are other ways); take 20 constitution, 8 intelligence, and a background that lets you use intelligence instead of constitution for hp.  Take the swift recovery feat.  You have 21 hp, 10 bloodied value, and a healing surge value of 13.
So a Dwarf Warlock|Swordmage, with a 12/18/10/16/14/8 starting array and any epic destiny that gives +2 to two ability scores could get that without sacrificing too much.  
Dragonborn Cavalier of Valor with Swift Recovery?

At first level with a Constitution of 18 they have 33hp/16bloodied/17surge value. Lower constitutions can have surge value equal to the bloodied value without gear.
a background that lets you use intelligence instead of constitution for hp

If you're referring to the Thay background (or Impiltur, Auspicious Birth or Born Under a Bad Sign), those specifically make you use the higher ability score for starting hit points. So you can't actually choose to lower your health pool by picking one, sadly.

Swift Recovery looks nice. Does it have any attribute requirements? The swordmage/wizard I posted still has an open feat slot.

Also, nice work Hephalumph for pulling this off at a higher level without making a complete abomination of a character
Ring of the Fallen (level 18, AV2) could also factor in.

It lets you regain additional hp equal to your Con mod when you healing wind or spend surges at the end of a short rest. So, it doesn't technically affect your surge *value*, but effectively that's what it does.
Strongheart Tattoo adds to HP gained when you spend a healing surge.. not quite the same, especially if you're looking for abusing specific rules items that reference healing surge value, but my just-reached-epic Dragonborn Swordmage can get his last healing surge or two for the day over his bloodied value, with a large portion coming from that tattoo. (It's harder to hit that threshhold at higher levels since bonuses tend to be front-loadable. HSV >= max HP / 3 is much more realistic of a goal, before counting in the tattoo.)
Sand Reaver PP (wasteland nomad theme required) lets you add your primary ability mod to your surge value.
A note to all who think I am being aggressive or angry- 99% of the time, I do not intend to be. I apologize if you think I am attacking you, odds are very strong that I am not. The only exceptions are when people become extremely uncivil to me, and even then I usually ignore them. I think it is very obvious when I am really mad; if I just seem generally abrasive, it is a reflection of my thought process rather than a state of emotion. I have the greatest respect for those who can debate rationally, even if we come to different conclusions. I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Doesn't the dragonling let you gain +2 hp on spending a healing surge?  I guess its the same as the strongheart tattoo, but you don't need to find it.

So this is what I came up with just toying around.. The flat surge value is the same as the bloodied value, other things.. (not sure if it counted it in the character sheet didn't have time to do all the math)

Dragonling Familiar  +4 additional HP when a surge is spent
Enduring Mountain   +2 additional HP when a surge is spent (more if you have allies with the feat)
Quick Recovery Whenever you spend a healing surge at the end of a short rest or an extended rest, you regain 5 additional hit points.
Belt of Blood   Con mod (+10) additional HP gained when bloodied
Ring of Fallen When you use your second wind, you regain additional hit points equal to your Con mod(+10). In addition, you regain additional hit points equal to your Con mod for each healing surge you spend at the end of a short rest.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Heskan, level 30
Dragonborn, Warlock, Sand Reaver, Reincarnate Champion
Eldritch Pact Option: Sorcerer-King Pact
Epic Vitality Option: Epic Vitality Constitution
Dragonborn Racial Power Option: Dragon Breath
Dragon Breath Key Ability: Dragon Breath Constitution
Dragon Breath Damage Type: Dragon Breath Cold
Past Spirit Option: Past Spirit (Dwarf)
Past Spirit Option: Past Spirit (Satyr)
Former Gladiator (Former Gladiator Benefit)
Theme: Wasteland Nomad

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 15, CON 30, DEX 12, INT 18, WIS 15, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 13, CON 18, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 13, CHA 8

AC: 40 Fort: 41 Ref: 36 Will: 34
HP: 187 Surges: 18 Surge Value: 93

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +26, Endurance +29, History +28, Insight +24, Nature +24, Religion +26

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +15, Athletics +16, Bluff +18, Diplomacy +18, Dungeoneering +19, Heal +19, Intimidate +20, Perception +19, Stealth +15, Streetwise +18, Thievery +15

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Wasteland Nomad Feature: Wasteland Fury
Dragonborn Racial Power: Dragon Breath
Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
Druid Feature: Wild Shape
Dwarf Racial Power: Dwarven Resilience

Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Blast
Warlock Attack 1: Hand of Blight
Sand Reaver Attack 11: Reckless Fury
Sand Reaver Utility 12: Bloody Harvest
Sand Reaver Attack 20: Reaving Brutality
Reincarnate Champion Utility 26: Swift Reincarnation

FEATS
Level 1: Initiate of the Old Faith
Level 2: Enduring Mountain
Level 4: Skill Training (Endurance)
Level 6: Swift Recovery
Level 8: Armor Proficiency: Hide
Level 10: Undead Hunter
Level 11: Quick Recovery
Level 21: Dwarven Durability
Level 22: Arcane Familiar
Level 24: Familiar's Vitality

ITEMS
Amulet of Vigor +6 x1
Hide Armor of Durability +6 x1
Belt of Blood x1
Ring of the Fallen x1
====== End ======

Swift Recovery looks nice. Does it have any attribute requirements? The swordmage/wizard I posted still has an open feat slot.

Swift Recovery only requires training in Endurance.
Level 12 Dwarf Invoker  Con 20 HP 76 Bloodied Value 38

Healing Surge
Base 19 +  6 Dwarven Durability +4 Swift Recovery + 6 Sand Reaver Paragon Path (Dark Sun Wasteland Nomad Theme) + 2 Armor of Durability +2

= 39

When Bloodied + 6 Belt of Blood  = 45