Retraining Oddity

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
While reviewing the rules for retraining powers something occured to me. Since you can only retrain powers of equal or lesser level, if you retrain a higher level power for a lower level power, you have just permanently lowered that power's 'slot' level.

Is this assumption and reading of the retraining rules correct? If so, that sucks should one decide to try and bring that power back up to par later down the road...

Nominrath
No, that's incorrect. It's the slot you're retraining, not the power.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Ok. I'm confused. So, if I, for example, retrained my level 3 Encounter power for a level 1 Encounter power, I could later on retrain that level 1 Encounter power back up to a level 3?

Doesn't this contradict what the rules say; "You can replace a power with another power of the same type [...] of the same level of lower..."? The way that sounds to me, using the previous example, if I replaced my level 3 Encounter with a level 1 Encounter, that power is now a level 1 and could only be replaced with another level 1.

Or is it the power you're replacing, not the slot? I.E. It's a 3rd level Encounter slot and can be swapped with other level 3 powers and level 1 powers interchangeably, but not level 7 powers.

Or is it the power you're replacing, not the slot? I.E. It's a 3rd level Encounter slot and can be swapped with other level 3 powers and level 1 powers interchangeably, but not level 7 powers.

This is suposed to work.
Someone may not have used the best possible words to explain it.

And for new players reading this thread-
retraing can only be done for one character choice at a time only when you level up and not for powers given to you by name from a class feature or game ellement.    
The sea looks at the stabillity of the mountian and sighs. The mountian watches the freedom of the sea and cries.
Thank you. The book does not explain it fully or conclusively... I find that this kind of thing happens a lot in the 4e books.

Nominrath
Also discussed here, if desired.
Ok. I'm confused. So, if I, for example, retrained my level 3 Encounter power for a level 1 Encounter power, I could later on retrain that level 1 Encounter power back up to a level 3?

Yes, because, as your level 3 Encounter power, you picked an L1.

Doesn't this contradict what the rules say; "You can replace a power with another power of the same type [...] of the same level of lower..."? The way that sounds to me, using the previous example, if I replaced my level 3 Encounter with a level 1 Encounter, that power is now a level 1 and could only be replaced with another level 1.

Nope.  It's still your Level 3 Encounter Power.

The fact that you picke d apower that's also available at L1 as your L3 does not change that it is your L3.

Basically.  At level 3, you pick an Encounter power for L3.  The valid choices are L3 powers and L1 powers.
Confused about Stealth? Think "invisibility" means "take the mini off the board to make people guess?" You need to check out The Rules Of Hidden Club.
Damage types and resistances: A working house rule.
Sign In to post comments