[LoD] Opinions of Drizzt Game

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I wish they had a forum set up for Drizzt but oh well. It's unfortunate the this might be the last board game in this series. I think wizards of the coast have really hit their stride with this latest game. They have incorporated so many new and fresh ideas to this concept with this release. For whatever reason it feels like a much deeper experience than the previous two, and that is saying something considering the quality of the previous games.

I cavern tiles have been done in an ingenious way this time, with narrow passages, bridges, volcanic vents, etc. I drew the volcanic vent event last night and found out very quickly why those vents are on those tiles. Absolutely brilliant!

I also love how you can summon creatures. Depth, depth, depth!

I sincerely hope they continue to release these games, there us so much potential here.

Anyway, what are some of your favorite things about this version.
I wish they had a forum set up for Drizzt but oh well.

If I remember correctly, after the proposed forum reorganization there will be a single forum for all board games.

It's unfortunate the this might be the last board game in this series.

There is a new boardgame in the works, Lords of Waterdeeep, but it looks to have different dynamics:

www.wizards.com/dnd/product.aspx?x=dnd/p...

Available on March 20.

Thank goodness for that, wrath and castle miniatures fill a single figure case perfectly, with Drizzt I still have half a case going to waste!
I really like the Drizzt board game, it has some great gameplay elements, but I feel that the developers are getting a little lazy with the monsters. Even though there are lots of bosses in Drizzt, their attacks all seem kind of bland. I was hoping the mindflayer would have a brain-eating attack.
I'm happy with all the games so far, but if I can name their main flaws and the order in which I rate them:
- Ravenloft is my fave game overall. It is difficult, and has my favourite characters and monsters. The treasure deck is definitely lacking compared to the other games though.
- Drizzt has great adventure designs with cool competitive aspects and heap of characters, but has boring monsters.
- Ashardalon has the best items and some great monsters, but is my least favourite game to play overall. Perhaps I find the adventures less compelling.  

The characters do seem overpowered compared to the earlier games, but not as much as I initially thought.  Drizzt himself seems to take that a step further, which I think is a poor design decision.  Despite that, I really do like the newer aspects of the game, and I envision an ideal Adventure System board game experience to include all of the elements in Drizzt, combined with the doors and chambers of Ashardalon.  The villagers are a nice touch from Ashardalon as well.

I can see importing the Spider from Ravenloft into Legend of Drizzt, and for that matter, the Kobold from Ravenloft into Ashardalon.  I wrote up a more in-depth review of Legend of Drizzt here, so I won't waste retyping it all in this space. www.examiner.com/hobby-games-in-new-york...
The characters do seem overpowered compared to the earlier games, but not as much as I initially thought.  Drizzt himself seems to take that a step further, which I think is a poor design decision.

I had a question about that...  I just got the game and haven't played it yet, but the heroes seem pretty much strictly better than the heroes in the previous games.  They get much better character traits and better powers (with more utility selection as well), and most of them seem to have the ability to attack twice every round.  I enjoy mixing up all the games to play with one big set, but I don't know why anyone would ever choose a hero from the previous games at this point.  Are they really not as overpowered as they seem?