How does one build a tempo deck?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was thinking about it because it's something that U/R does pretty well, and I'm looking at trying to build a U/R deck.  Maybe even a U/G.  I don't see much of U/G.

What kind of cards should I be looking at? I understand how to play a tempo deck, I think.  I just don't know what kind of cards to prioritize over another.

Also, how cheap can I build a tempo deck?

No restrictions as far as standard or anything. If the card exists I can use it.
You want all of your answers to be cheaper then his questions, and you want to run many things that can two for one. Blue red does this particularly well on the backs of things like snap(free cast) and lightning bolt(very cheap cost).

Here is an example of what you are aiming for,
4 phantasmal bear
4 kiln fiend
4 Wee Dragonauts
4 Chandra's Phoenix

4 lightning bolt
4 rift bolt
4 mutagenic growth
4 snap
4 punishing fire
2 haze of rage
2 mystic speculation

4 grove of the burnwillows
4 volcanic island
4 sulfur falls
4 island
4 mountain
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
That looks like a lot of fun! Those lands are kind of expensive though.  I suppose running just basic lands wouldn't hurt me that much.

I understand the point of being cheaper than he is and I can see that reflected with the mana untaps and cheap spells and Kiln Fiend-type effects.

I guess my main issue with building this kind of deck is that I don't know very many cards at all in this game due to many extended absences.

What would you guys recommend I use to look at good potential candidates for my deck?

I like the snap mechanic, I like the mutagenic growth and such, the suspend is pretty neat. If I can find out more cards I could probably draft a copy for myself using your list as a guide.  I really really like your idea though and I probably won't stray too far from it.  Especially not the Wee Dragonauts, thats just a hilarious named card.

Thanks very much for your help!
Yep land is usually the expensive part, the pheonix is not cheap either. To make it budget you would have to replace the phonix and the three duals with something cheap. Without the groves you would need to replace punishing fire with some other burn.

It would work almost as well running,
furnace scamp or goblin bushwhacker instead of the pheonix.
fireblast or blazing salvo or browbeat instead of the punishing fire
and then all basic lands.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Sign In to post comments