Big D&D Announcement Next Year

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
I just left our local gaming store.  I was intrigued and appalled at the same time when the proprietor informed me that he had recently went to a trade show.  At the trade show, WotC had their presence as well as Pathfinder.  The WotC representative informed people that Pathfinder is making more profits than D&D 4.0 by leaps and bounds.  He also stated that a big D&D announcement is coming next year.

I know that this kind of information is purely speculative.  I can personally see this going one of three ways:

1.  Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition
2.  Hasbro is selling D&D, but keeping Magic the Gathering
3.  D&D is being cancelled or turned into an MMO only

Personally, this kind of news simply sickens me.  The fact that the game has been around since 1974, and companies like Hasbro have simply run it into the ground, without so much as a care in the world.   According to the rep at the trade show from WotC, 4th edition was designed around games like World of Warcraft since at the time their customer base was already in the multi-millions.  WotC was hoping to not only keep their existing player base (around 500,000 players world wide) but also steal a bit of Blizzard's thunder.  In effect, WotC managed to only grab less than 1% from the WoW generation while at the same time lose approximately 40% of the current customer base.  The older players simply refused to upgrade to 4th edition or switched to Pathfinder when it came out full swing.

WotC (and more specifically Hasbro) needs to get their prospective heads out of their wallets and start listening to us, the gamers.

Personally, given my 3 speculative options above, I am hoping for 5th edition.  Hopefully, this time they will learn that we do not need 40+ classes, and that they need to support the material that they produce.  Quality > Quantity.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled forum posting...already in progress... 
Ignore this post please and it will go away.
Why ignore this?  As I stated early on in the post, this is speculation based on information I learned from my local gaming store.

People who choose to ignore leads such as this are the same people that cry "I never saw it coming!"

Personally, I think people should read this and make informed decisions on what this could likely mean for our beloved hobby. 
Sounds like fake.

I'm a new player, and i don't believe that Pathfinder is making more money.

D&D have a lot of players, even in my country (Venezuela). 
Well take the information as you will.  Unfortunately, the only thing we can do is sit and wait.  In a year's time (or perhaps a little less), we will see if my fears and speculations will come to pass.

Personally, I hope that the information I received today is totally wrong. 
Well take the information as you will.  Unfortunately, the only thing we can do is sit and wait.  In a year's time (or perhaps a little less), we will see if my fears and speculations will come to pass.

Personally, I hope that the information I received today is totally wrong. 

This kind of rumors are pretty bad for WOTC. Now i'll think twice before i buy a new product... I hope to get news about this soon.
I have good news for you, I went to hasbro and talked to some big wigs, and they got me in touch with wotc personaly... they told me WotC sells about 5% more then piazo in books, and make millions more on DDi.

I was told that if D&D sold 5 books a month (total world wide) they would still make enough from DDI to keep the game going atleast a little while...   

Before posting, ask yourself WWWS: What Would Wrecan Say?

I have good news for you, I went to hasbro and talked to some big wigs, and they got me in touch with wotc personaly... they told me WotC sells about 5% more then piazo in books, and make millions more on DDi.

I was told that if D&D sold 5 books a month (total world wide) they would still make enough from DDI to keep the game going atleast a little while...   

So... All this thread is just fake?
My original post isn't but unfortunately, it appears that the trolls have arrived for their noon feeding
Amazon still lists 4e as higher sales then pathfinder.

Also, the world ended a few months ago, so it doesn't matter. 

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Gotta love a world where unsubstantiated bull**** rumors are believed more readily than truth.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Players Option: Heroes of the FUTURRRRREEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

...with tons of new laser cleric builds and rules for attaching warforged limbs to your favorite character.
Heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy that things are bad mmkay. 

2/10 
As I stated earlier...nothing would make me happier than if the information I received earlier turned out to be false.

Personally, I have been playing D&D since 1979 - so as long as they make D&D, I will play.  Have dice, will travel.

I personally love the 4th edition ranger and hope that 4e stays around for many years to come.  Tomorrow, my group will enter the Pyramid of Shadows.  This sounds like fun.

I'd be skeptical of anyone claiming that an official WotC rep was giving away sales information, something WotC has not been releasing, especially information that if released would further damage their sales and threaten that rep's future employment. I also find it funny that despite the claims that this rep was telling all sorts of people about this information, yet you are the only one to make mention of it.

Someone is a liar. If it isn't you, it's the owner. Either way, this "insider information" sounds like hot garbage.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
Considering the fact that if it were me that made this fabrication up, what would be the point?  I have known the proprietor for over 20 years, so I completely trust him.  Besides, what would be the point to lie to your customers...wouldn't that make them NOT buy products from your store instead of increase the amount you spend?

Personally, I believe what the store owner told me and as I have said so many times already, we will just have to wait and see.

I definately think if 5th edition is coming in 2013, they might want to fix the wizard class - considering they broke it into multiple arcane casters - the wizard class sucks 
Why would he lie? Maybe he has an agenda. Same reason people post lies on the boards. Same reason people lie in RL. He probably doesn't like 4e and him being a store owner does not preclude from that sort of petty act. Yes, it could hurt his business, but he'd hardly be the first store owner to drive someone away from a certain product just because he doesn't like it. If people always made sound business decisions, then so many businesses wouldn't go under.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
The 4e wizard is quite awesome, and is the most supported class besides the Fighter. 

Looks like a bash thread in disguise.