Sustain Effect and LoS

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
 I apologize if this has been brought somewhere before (or even multiple times), I did a search and couldn't find anything (though I admit my search-fu is rather weak) on the subject.

So during an encounter during my last game one of my players (player A from here on) casts Stinking Cloud, which among other things blocks line of sight through any square that it is in. Another player (player B) had a Bigby's Icy Grasp spell cast with the hand already in a square. Player A moves the cloud, blocking LoS from player B and the hand. When it's his turn can player B sustain the Icy Grasp spell even though he can no longer see it? Then if he can sustain it would he suffer concealment penalties having it attack something while the hand is concealed but the monster it is attacking is not (spell token was in the cloud still, but the large monster was partially out of it)? Thanks for any help in this matter.
you do not need LOS to conjorations, only LOE. as far as attack penaltys he would only suffer them if the attack said it came from the hands square, rather then the caster
Insulting someones grammar on a forum is like losing to someone in a drag race and saying they were cheating by having racing stripes. Not only do the two things not relate to each other (the logic behind the person's position, and their grammar) but you sound like an idiot for saying it (and you should, because its really stupid )
How does this rule change (if any) for the Cleric 1 Daily: Astral Condemnation?

It has a sustain effect that ruins my Boss fights....

If the player loses "line of effect", can they still sustain the damage reduction?
How does this rule change (if any) for the Cleric 1 Daily: Astral Condemnation?

It has a sustain effect that ruins my Boss fights....

If the player loses "line of effect", can they still sustain the damage reduction?

By default, you only need line of effect to attack a target or create an effect in a square, not to sustain an effect (PH pg. 273).  The Conjuration keyword adds additional restrictions on this, but the power you're asking about isn't a Conjuration so those restrictions don't apply.

However, I'm not sure if you must remain in range of the original attack in order to sustain the effect.  Anyone else got an idea on that?

Returned from hiatus; getting up to speed on 5e rules lawyering.

I don't have the text in front of me to quote for you, but you must stay in range of any sustain effect or it ends. If someone else doesn't grab the text before me, I will quote it when I get the opportunity.
That only applies to conjurations.

RAW without a specific rule (like conjurations have) you don't need LoS or LoE to sustain. Helpful when you're say... running away from a horde of enemies and the Wizard fills the hallway with a Wall of Fire. He can sustain minor it no matter how far away he gets.
Truly? Hrm, I will have to look into this. I distinctly recall a conversation on here about it. Hmm...

How about this: the range line on the power. In the power definitions, the range line describes the maximum distance the power can be used.
Truly? Hrm, I will have to look into this. I distinctly recall a conversation on here about it. Hmm... How about this: the range line on the power. In the power definitions, the range line describes the maximum distance the power can be used.

And a power is "used" when you take the action to use it. No further "sustains" qualify. Though if you want to break the game you're welcome to follow that line of logic. Would you care to count how many things trigger off of "using" a daily power that are absurdly powerful if you can suddenly use them every single round?
to my knowlage the only restirtion on distance is for moveable conjorations, you must remain within range of them
Insulting someones grammar on a forum is like losing to someone in a drag race and saying they were cheating by having racing stripes. Not only do the two things not relate to each other (the logic behind the person's position, and their grammar) but you sound like an idiot for saying it (and you should, because its really stupid )
to my knowlage the only restirtion on distance is for moveable conjorations, you must remain within range of them

Also movable zones, IIRC.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Out of curiosity, how would you handle something like this :

Wizard has cast Flaming Sphere, sustain minor. He is fighting atop a roof. He is flung off and down 20' to the ground. He no longer has LOS. Does the vertical wall in front of him count as blocking for LoE determination.

Without seeing it, how would he move it & attack w/ it?
Depends if the wall in front of him blocks Line of Effect. If it does, then at the end of the Wizard’s turn, the Flaming Sphere would end if he still has no Line of Effect to it. If it doesn't block Line of Effect then he would be able to sustain the Flaming Sphere regardless if he can see it or not.

Movable Conjurations: If the power used to create a conjuration allows it to be moved, it’s a movable conjuration. At the end of the creator’s turn, a movable conjuration ends if the creator doesn’t have line of effect to at least 1 square of the conjuration or if the creator isn’t within range (using the power’s range) of at least 1 square of the conjuration.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Depends if the wall in front of him blocks Line of Effect. If it does, then at the end of the Wizard’s turn, the Flaming Sphere would end if he still has no Line of Effect to it. If it doesn't block Line of Effect then he would be able to sustain the Flaming Sphere regardless if he can see it or not.

Movable Conjurations: If the power used to create a conjuration allows it to be moved, it’s a movable conjuration. At the end of the creator’s turn, a movable conjuration ends if the creator doesn’t have line of effect to at least 1 square of the conjuration or if the creator isn’t within range (using the power’s range) of at least 1 square of the conjuration.

So, he'd have to get up (or crawl) away from the wall of the building in hopes of getting LoE to atleast 1 square where he left the flaming sphere at. He wouldn't be able to move it until this happens?

Imagine you were fighting on the roof of your house and the apex. The next second, you've fallen and lay at the bottom on the ground. The flaming sphere is up there out of LoS for sure, and I'm guessing LoE.

Yes he could do either of those.

As long as by the end of its turn the Wizard is within 10 squares of the Flaming Sphere and he has Line of Effect to it, it won't end.

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter