Spellskite VS Sword Question

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have a quick question about a rule specifically dealing with equiping and how it would or would not work with Spellskite versus a Sword of (your choice) being attached to my opponants creature.

For example; if my opponant controls a 1/1 soldier and attempts to equip Sword of Feast and Famine to the creature; am I able to respond to the equip ability with Spellskite's ability and target Spellskite to avoid his creature being equiped?  I only ask this because the rule I list below is a little confusing. 

There are only 3 outcomes:
1.  His creature gets equiped.

2.  His creatured does not get equiped and the Sword remains on his side un-equipped.

3.  The Sword gets equiped to my Spellskite.

I believe if I read the rules correctly, the 2nd option is what will resolve from my response and neither of our creatures will be equipped and the Sword remains on his side un-equipped.

Here is the rule below I am referring to that leads me to beleive this is the correct outcome.  Please answer.

Thanks, Ken  

701.3b If an effect tries to attach an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification to an object it can't be

attached to, the Aura, Equipment, or Fortification doesn‘t move. If an effect tries to attach an

Aura, Equipment, or Fortification to the object it‘s already attached to, the effect does nothing.

The target of the equip ability is 'target creature you control'. Since Spellskite does not comply to that, it can't change the target to itself and the original target stays intact. The Sword will be equipped normally.

DCI Level 2 Judge

"That's what's so stupid about the whole magic thing, you know," Rincewind said. "You spend twenty years learning the spell that makes nude virgins appear in your bedroom, and then you're so poisoned by quicksilver fumes and half-blind from reading old grimoires that you can't remember what happens next."

- Terry Pratchett, The Colour Of Magic

I have a quick question about a rule specifically dealing with equiping and how it would or would not work with Spellskite versus a Sword of (your choice) being attached to my opponants creature.

For example; if my opponant controls a 1/1 soldier and attempts to equip Sword of Feast and Famine to the creature; am I able to respond to the equip ability with Spellskite's ability and target Spellskite to avoid his creature being equiped?  I only ask this because the rule I list below is a little confusing. 

There are only 3 outcomes:
1.  His creature gets equiped.

2.  His creatured does not get equiped and the Sword remains on his side un-equipped.

3.  The Sword gets equiped to my Spellskite.

I believe if I read the rules correctly, the 2nd option is what will resolve from my response and neither of our creatures will be equipped and the Sword remains on his side un-equipped.

Here is the rule below I am referring to that leads me to beleive this is the correct outcome.  Please answer.

Thanks, Ken  

701.3b If an effect tries to attach an Aura, Equipment, or Fortification to an object it can't be

attached to, the Aura, Equipment, or Fortification doesn‘t move. If an effect tries to attach an

Aura, Equipment, or Fortification to the object it‘s already attached to, the effect does nothing.

your creature is not a valid target for an equip ability on an equipment controlled by your opponent. Because Spellskite is not a valid target, even though the equip ability is a valid target for spellskite's ability, Spellskite's ability will not be able to change the target to itself. In short: you can pay the (/p) cost to activate spellskite's ability, but it won't do anything. Their creature remain the target for the ability (since it cannot be changed to spellskite) and therefore will still be equipped when the ability resolves.

From the Gatherer rulings on spellskite:

You can activate Spellskite's ability even if Spellskite wouldn't be a legal target for the spell or ability. However, the target of that spell or ability will remain unchanged.

M:tG Rules Adviser
Sign In to post comments