Wild Talent, Sensing Eye

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Can anyone tell me if the Wild Talent power called, "Sensing Eye" grants line of sight to make ranged Psionic attacks from?  Or is this power only allowing a character to see an area with their specified vision?

Thanks for any information. 
Sensing eye gives you line of sight from a square of your choice.

However, in order to use a power against a target, you will need line of effect against that target (unless specified otherwise).  Line of effect will still be determined from your square, even if your sensing eye is active.
Thanks Logopolis.... I appreciate the clarification.
Hello I am looking for clarification on Sensing Eye also. i run a dark sun game and a player of mine uses it to gain combat advantage. Ill do my best to explain. According to the Rule of Combat Advantage "...The target is pressed by multiple enemies at the same time, stunned, distracted, or otherwise caught off guard. Combat advantage has two rules...Able to see the target. A creature must be able to see the target to gain combat advantage against it.    S=Sensing Eye   E=Enemy   W=Gloom Pact Hex-Blade with reach  A=Ally 
                 XXXSXXX
                 XXXEXXX
                 XXXAXW
                 XXXXXX
The warlock uses the Eye to gain combat advantage because he is either flanking or catching the enemy off guard. I dont understand that power too well but that seems like it was not intended to be used that way. I think they are using it to catch the enemy off guard by seeing it from a different perspective. Your insight would be much appreciated. 

The hex blade nor his ally would not get flanking in this scenario, because he is still attacking from his own square, and the sensing eye does not threaten.  Nothing about that drawing you have above gives anybody combat advantage from flanking.  Sensing eye only gives line of sight and nothing else.  It doesn't even conjure an image of an eye in the square - it quite literally only allows the psion to determine line of sight from that square for the next turn.
   You can only get flanking by being adjacent to a creature while one of your allies is adjacent and on the opposite side (a few feats let you be one square over, but those are specific exceptions to the rule).

Now, using the scenario you drew above, lets say there's a sandstorm or some other effect giving concealment to anyone more than 5 feet away.  If the enemy were granting combat advantage for some reason other than flanking (like its Dazed), the hex-blade would not normally be able to get that combat advantage with reach or a ranged attack because the sandstorm grants concealment beyond 5 feet  However,  with the sensing eye adjacent to the target, he can now see it clearly and he would get to use the combat advantage from the target being dazed.

I am the sensing eye poster, i used a second account earlier. I forgot to mention the Enemy is in the effect of Twilight Torch or in a square of dim light. Considering the powers a gloompact shade has the enemy might be in a square of total darkness. 
My Dark Sun Campaign "Shards of a Broken Crown" http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shards-of-a-broken-crown
I am the sensing eye poster, i used a second account earlier. I forgot to mention the Enemy is in the effect of Twilight Torch or in a square of dim light. Considering the powers a gloompact shade has the enemy might be in a square of total darkness. 

If the enemy is in total darkness, than the sensing eye gives no benefit, because it still can't see the target.
  Sensing eye is mostly useful for cases like if there's a lot of foliage or a fog cloud between you and the target, which grants concealment, but if the target isn't actually in the foliage or fog, you could place the sensing eye above it or to the side for a clear line of sight.  You still need separate line of effect.

An in any case, placing sensing eye next to your enemy will not give you flanking, no matter what the lighting and visual conditions are.
thanks alot, I learn alot from these forums and I appreciate the quick replies. Now that I have more insight I can curb some of the shenanigans that have been going on in my game.
My Dark Sun Campaign "Shards of a Broken Crown" http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/shards-of-a-broken-crown