2011 Magic World Championships

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is to discuss the 2011 Magic World Championships, which begin Thursday, November 17 in San Francisco.

The 2011 Pro Tour season has come down to this. Hundreds of players will be in San Francisco to battle for the title of World Champion and World Team Champions, plus the incredibly tight Player of the Year race will be decided! Tune in Sunday, November 20 for the live Individual Top 8 and National Team Final. Here's a handy guide for when the webcast starts in your time zone:

• Los Angeles: 10:45 a.m.

• Chicago: 12:45 p.m.

• New York: 1:45 p.m.

• Rio de Janeiro: 4:45 p.m.

• London: 6:45 p.m.

• Paris: 7:45 p.m.

• Berlin: 7:45 p.m.

• Rome: 7:45 p.m.

• Moscow: 10:45 p.m.

• Tokyo: 3:45 a.m. Monday

• Sydney: 5:45 a.m. Monday

Does anyone know which vendors will be there?
so the tournament starts on thursday and your coverage stars on sunday. why rush?
Please do not cover matches. you can't do that anyway. 2 paragraph summary that does not explain anything is awful. Instead use this time to update results and standings quicker. Instead of coming from 3 rounds behind make it 2.
I see the official coverage is as "great" as ever. Figured the last Worlds ever would have deserved a bit more, but guess not.
Is it too much to ask for some coverage that's not delayed by several hours? This is on US soil for Gods sake. Stop paying Rich Hagon and BDM to spout nonsense, and pay some more people to update the website. 
join twitter.  it is 100 times faster than wotc

with the crew of CFB, SCG and a few others you can follow the results of quite a lot of players.  Or you can check if any of your local heroes does some updates on twitter.  If not bugger them to tweeting

It is really sad that this is the last Worlds... It will be deeply missed.
That said, after day 1, go Canada go!!!
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
Is there live video coverage of matches some where?
Is there live video coverage of matches some where?

SCG can do that, GGSlive can do that... but WOTC can't.
How about the thoroughly biased American coverage? Anyone else have an issue with that? There is a reason Magic Online is open 24/7. It's because people around the world play Magic.

If you (Hasbro) want this to be a legitimate sport, you need to have international coverage to keep your entire market happy. Other wise you are limiting your audience to North America, and only 1/3rd of it.

Channel Firelball? Who cares? I want more info on the Canadian David Caplan who is getting about as much press coverage as Ron Paul.

PS - I want to be the WotC Canadian correspondent to the Magic World Championships. But only if I get the same rider H.S. Thompson had from Sports Illustrated when he went to Nevada to cover the Mint 400.

PPS - invoice for consulting fee is in the mail

Wink
How about the thoroughly biased American coverage? Anyone else have an issue with that? There is a reason Magic Online is open 24/7. It's because people around the world play Magic.

If you (Hasbro) want this to be a legitimate sport, you need to have international coverage to keep your entire market happy. Other wise you are limiting your audience to North America, and only 1/3rd of it.

Channel Firelball? Who cares? I want more info on the Canadian David Caplan who is getting about as much press coverage as Ron Paul.

While there is often an American bias in the coverage, Channel Fireball certainly deserves all the attention it's getting. They have a lot fans from all around the world.

I'm sure David Caplan will get more attention after he gets a few more PT Top 8s under his belt... right now he isn't *that* interesting.
PS - I want to be the WotC Canadian correspondent to the Magic World Championships. But only if I get the same rider H.S. Thompson had from Sports Illustrated when he went to Nevada to cover the Mint 400.

Oh, yeah, because that trip went well.
Every PT people complain about this and still we are getting endless shots of the player's faces instead of the board.  GGslive does this 100x times better  #justshowtheboard  #itswhatmatters

Complaining about US bias and then picking CFB as the example is pretty silly as it is the most international team on the tour (It has 2 Japanese, a Brazilian and some Czechs [and even French depending on the event and who is testing with them]) whereas the other 2 major teams Mythic and SCG are basically US only.

Never mind the fact they are the biggest team and have FOUR people in this top 8 and have been crushing PT's nonstop in this fashion.  It would be like not talking about Barcelona during the Champions League.

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of things to complain about with the coverage.  Bias however is not one of them.

PS - And I'm Canadian as well.

Oh, yeah, because that trip went well.

Regardless of how that trip went, the magazine did give him a sweet hotel room and car rental...

@raul - you make a good point about ChannelFireball being an international team - and yes they do deserve the coverage they are getting considering the team's performance this weekend. I agree with you there
Camera on THE BOARD 100% of the time when the match is in progress, the way Star City does it.

Thanks.
Sol 
Last Worlds ever and I can't get the video player to work during the semis. Anyone else having a problem?
is the live feed on now? i see posts about it but it wont connect me to the feed, help please
This is the absolute worst camera work I've seen in my life. We don't need a closup of Wescoe's face for over a minute. We don't need a closup of Caplan's forearm thirty seconds. Honestly, we don't need those things at all. There are so many huge chunks of time where I get to look at reflections on sleeves from a horrible angle. Popping out to a distance shot in the middle of a match and slowly zooming in to the table? For real? Seriously, I want the person working the camera beaten. Severely. 

We are here to watch Magic. Please allow us to do so.
Terrible "live" coverage.  Seriously... for the last worlds ever you would think we have some good coverage.  Instead no, we get Rich Hagon and BDM messing up every card and shots of arms instead of cards.

GET BETTER PRO TOUR COVERAGE.

WHY CAN SCG DO BETTER COVERAGE THAN WOTC?!?!?!
What happened to the Ancient Grudge in the last game of the team finals? The last I saw of it, it was casted normally against Relic. Had a bad connection though, so I guess stuff happened during downtime >.>
The coverage of this years worlds was nothing short of disgraceful.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Camera on THE BOARD 100% of the time when the match is in progress, the way Star City does it.

Thanks.
Sol 

Not gonna happen, they've been bad at it for years.

Whoever the camera director is, he/she is pretty much the WORST. EVER.

Anyone actually know who's responsibile for the atrocious camera work?

I like the coverage, but it would've been nice to have more Live Coverage earlier in the tournament. Would've been so nice to actually see Chapin play that sweet Standard deck.

Really sad to see Worlds dissapear btw. Cry
Sign In to post comments