11/17/2011 FtL: "Cemetery Gates"

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's From the Lab, which goes live Thursday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I personally hope that BoaB articles feature more decks like "Poison Pike" - I mean aside from the Inkmoth Nexai (which you should have a playset of anyway, for nearly every deck you make), the deck is brutally cheap and could win out of nowhere. I feel like it should probably have Invisible Stalker in the deck as well though, and of course swords if you want to make it non-budget. Cool article, either way.
My problem with the pike is that it doesn't seem to come out at the right mana break point with the stalker.  Maybe I just need more aggro control and save it for a finisher.
Don't see why Splinterspectrum would be running Primal Beyond instead of Ancient Ziggurat, or maybe use Ancient Ziggurat instead of Evolving Wilds.  Other than that, nice deck.
Primal Beyond can pay for activated abilities like Incandescent Soulstoke's and Sunflare Shaman's. But the Ziggurat is a pretty good call as well.

I enjoyed this week a lot. Fun decks, and an amusing framing story - especially the way the reanimation trigger brings back two unfortunately-interred Magic players from your readership. That definitely made me giggle.

Having been to FNM once now (the third constructed tournament in my 13-year Magic history), I can see the appeal in occasional ventures into Standard-legal decks as well.