Question about Wizard Utility Preperation and Non wizard utilities

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
I appologize that this has likely been asked before, but I have had no luck with finding threads on the subject through the search engine.
I am currently going through and creating a Shade Wizard(Bladesinger) through the Character builder and decided to swap out some of the wizard utilities for Sahde utilities.  However, when I look at the description that is given about spell preperation in the compendium, it makes it appear as though you choose X number of "Wizard" Daily/utility powers to prepare based on your level. 
Does this mean that if you have both a level 2 Wizard and level 2 Shade utility, you can choose to prepare the Wizard one and you are also given the shade one?  Or do I have to choose which one of those I want to prepare?  From the way it is worded I assume the former but I don't know if my assumption is correct or not.  I am also assuming that this situation applies when swapping for a theme or skill utility though if those are special cases that are different please let me know.

Thank you

First, welcome to the forums! May your time here be pleasant and fruitful.

As a Wizard, you know two Utility spells and each day you prepare one of them. If that's not clear please say so and I will elaborate.

The source of those powers doesn't really matter. Instead of learning two powers from the Wizard class, you learned one from the default Wizard class and one from the Shade source. You still learned a total of two powers. You can still only prepare and cast one. You simply pick each day between the Shade or the Wizard Utility.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask!

Actually, RAW, the source of the powers matters a whole bunch. Your spellbook can only contain "Spells." Spells, in 4e, are defined as powers with the Arcane keyword. Many racial/theme/what not powers do not have the Arcane keyword and are not eligible for the nifty bonus of switching on a day-to-day basis that the spellbook offers.

That said unless you are playing in LFR (where you can simply retrain everything for each module and very few modules have extended rests) it is a rule that does not violate much. I play by strict RAW in my home games (for a variety of reasons) but just ask your group.

EDIT: The above might be inaccurate for Bladesingers. It is accurate for Wizards (Arcanists, ugh) and inaccurate for Mages (who have a more up to date wording). Reasonably Bladesingers should not have this problem assuming they lifted the Mage text, at least in part.
That said unless you are playing in LFR (where you can simply retrain everything for each module and very few modules have extended rests) it is a rule that does not violate much. I play by strict RAW in my home games (for a variety of reasons) but just ask your group.

You can only retrain everything once per level.  So, once every two or three modules, maybe four.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Spells, in 4e, are defined as powers with the Arcane keyword.

Where are you getting this from?

And on a similar note, what is the "Shade" elemement from, because it's not in any of my books and I can't seem to find it. Is it a theme? 
Heroes of Shadow.

It's a Race.  And a really, really bad one.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Spells, in 4e, are defined as powers with the Arcane keyword.

Where are you getting this from?

And on a similar note, what is the "Shade" elemement from, because it's not in any of my books and I can't seem to find it. Is it a theme? 

RC 111. "Arcane powers are called spells." Emphasis not added. It is also in the PHB. Divine powers are prayers, Martial powers are exploits, Primal powers are evocations, Psionic powers are disciplines, Shadow powers are hexes.
I can't find an official rule on it (at least through the compendium), but I would think that if you chose to select a Racial utility power, Skill Power or Theme power in place of your level 2 utility spell(s), you just get the one racial, skill or theme power that isn't an arcane spell, that you then take it in place of both of the utility spells you would have selected at that level.  The exception here might be if the theme or racial power is Arcane (skill powers have no type)

I'm extrapolating that from the fact that Wizards have the exception of being able to select 2 spells instead of just one and being able to swap them out, so if you want a non-spell, it gets selected in place of the 2 spells that wizard normally gets in place of 1 spell of other classes.

(Again, I'll point out I haven't seen an official rule to support this, but it's the only method that makes sense;  Maybe PHB2 says something in the Skill Powers chapter?)

It's worth noting that when I swap a mage utility for a shade utility in the character builder, I only give up one of the wizard utilities.  Presumably, I can therefore choose to prepare either my shade utility or my wizard utility.  This makes sense given the wording on the mage spellbook, which does not refer to "spells" but "powers."  that being the case, a wizard who swapped out a mage power for a shade power would be able to choose to prepare a shade power the same as a mage one-the spellbook doesn't differentiate between powers from different sources.  Theoretically, a mage could have *no* wizard utilities at a given level (a level 2 shade utility and a skill utility, for example), and would be able to prepare either one just like a mage power.

What RisingZan is saying above is the way the PHB FAQ tells us to deal with muticlassing and the wizards spellbook, but that was written at a point in time when only the arcanist existed, and his spellbook feature is worded very differently.  I am not at all sure that rule should apply to the mage.

I see no harm in allowing players to replace their wizard utilities with racial or skill utilities and switch between them just as they do with wizard powers.

Edit: the bladesinger spellbook feature is worded in such a way that it specifically refers to switching back and forth between "wizard powers."  Which, if we are being strict, should mean that if you take a skill or racial utility, you can't switch between that power and another one.