Half Orc Berserker

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
Race Half Orc  Lv30 Hp 232          bloodied 116         surge value 58        surges 10

Class Berserker: Arid Desert Feature.  +3 AC and +2 Reflex in Cloth  Fire restistance 15

Paragon Path: Kensai                   Epic Destiney: Destion Scion

STR 28+9  CON 14+2  DEX  28+9  INT 10+0  WIS 14+2  CHA 12+1

Athletics +34
Endurance +24
Intimidate+23
Perception +28

Feats

Lv-1   Unarmored Agility
Lv-2   Two Handed Weapon expertise
Lv-4   Weapon Focus Heavy Blade
Lv-6   Weapon Pro Full Blade
Lv-8   Power Attack
Lv-10 Student of the Sword (endurance)

Lv-11 Strenght From Pain
Lv-12 Unrelenting Assault
Lv-14 Heavy blade oppertunity
Lv-16 toughness
Lv-18 Berserk Vitility
Lv-20 reckless Charge

Lv-21 Over powering Charge
Lv-22 Improved Defenses
Lv-24 Epic Will
Lv-26 Heavy Blade Mastery
Lv-28 Superior Iniative
Lv-30 Long Step

AT wills

Howling Strike
Jarring Strike

Encounter Powers

Blood of Strength
threating Fury
Wracking Wound
Hurricance of blades

Daily Powers

Eye of the Maelstrom
Torrent of Destruction
Weapon Sould Dance
Worlds Serpent Rage

Damage

Howling Strike
+37 2d12+6d6+3d6(thunder damage)+40

Jarring Smash
+36 2d12+37 enemy grants CA
+3d8 when berserking

AC 48     Fort 47    Rex 47   Will 45  (-2 to all defenses if oponent does not care about concelament)

Items

Thunder God Full Blade +6
Robe Of Eyes+6
Iron Armbands Of Power
Boots of Mighty Charge
Strike Backs
Horned Helm
Badge of the Berserker
Shadow Band
Belt of Titan Strength

Feat Suggestions and other comments are Welcome

Props to everyone posting

Will berserker get its own Guide?
I think maybe Berserker should get it's own guide, but it really comes down to who ever decides to create one (I'm not there yet, or I totally would).

It's sort of stuck between being played as primarily striker, primarily defender, or an unusual wash of the two.

I found that I almost never want to put in the Martial encounters and dailies. There is a Primal daily that lets you act a little bit defendery (you get MBAs when bloodied adjacents shift).

Overall, I enjoy the class. I'm going with a Longspear/Greatspear and picking up hafted defense for the extra defenses, and I still have Spear or Two-Weapon Expertise when I'm ready.
I think you should swap out Howling Strike for something else. It's more damaging for a Berserker to charge with an MBA (d6's vs. d8's), and I'm not sure the extra charge speed while raging will be all the relevant for you.
I think you should swap out Howling Strike for something else. It's more damaging for a Berserker to charge with an MBA (d6's vs. d8's), and I'm not sure the extra charge speed while raging will be all the relevant for you.

good idea but i also wanted and at will primal because i go into a beserk when i use a primal power

depending on the situation i though using an atwill will do good damage then switch to basic

melee attacks with a charge.  If its not worth it than yeah i will ditch it. With out the out will power

i either burn encounter power or wait till im bloodied and go berserk as a minor action.
It's sort of stuck between being played as primarily striker, primarily defender, or an unusual wash of the two.

I think it's an elegantly designed class that really needs to be played as written. That is, pure defender for the first two turns of combat while Team Monster is at full strength, transitioning to pure striker once Team Monster's down to one or two combatants and a defender's worth drops substantially.

The martial powers aren't very sexy, no, but there's always Iron Wolf Warrior theme with its nice primal encounters that don't trigger fury. Combine those with Frostcheese for a little extra DPR.

Here's my build:

Gith 'Zerker

Level 12

Githzerai Berserker/Monk/Storvakal

Str 20, Con 11, Dex 20, Int 9, Wis 16, Cha 11

Acrobatics+18, Athletics+21, Nature+11, Perception+16, Stealth+19

Berserker Fury
Defender Aura and Vengeful Guardian
Arid Desert Heartland
Iron Wolf Warrior Theme
Born Under a Bad Sign

+19 vs AC. (+6lvl +5Str +3prof +3enh +2feat)
1d12+22 high critical. (+5Str +3enh +3feat +2item +6PA +2gloves +1shard)
      +5 vulnerable cold

AC 32. (10 +6lvl +3hrt +5Dex +3enh +2feat +1item +2aura)
     -2 when aura deactivated
Fortitude 28. (10 +6lvl +2cls +5Str +3enh +2feat)
Reflex 28. (10 +6lvl +2hrt +5Dex +3enh +2feat)
Will 24. (10 +6lvl +3Wis +3enh +2feat)
     ALL: +2 vs OAs
     ALL: +4 vs OAs during charge

101 HPs and 8 25-pt Healing Surges
Resist 10 fire

1: Githzerai Blade Master
2: Unarmored Agility
4: Heavy Blade Expertise
6: Monastic Disciple
10: Improved Defenses
11: Power Attack
12: Lasting Frost
12: Wintertouched 

1: Run Down
1: Stalk and Strike
---

1: Iron Wolf Charge
1: Savage Cut
3: Wolf's Rend
7: Wolf's Bound
11: Probability Travel
---

1: Sweeping Cut
5: Dangerous Presence
9: Eye of the Maelstrom
---

1: Iron Will
2: Ignore Pain
6: Kord's Force
10: Circle of Battle
12: Wind of Reprisal 

46520/48000
Frost Fullblade +3 13 17000
Sylvan Cloth Armor +3 13 9000 [17000]
Lesser Badge of the Berserker +3 12 5000 [13000]
Gloves of Ice 11 9000
Elven Chain Shirt +1 9 4200
Iron Armbands of Power +2 6 1800
Siberys Shard of Merciless Cold +1 2 520

@Rancid_Rouge you can have a theme and a back ground?

If so im taking Fey Beast Companion and I am getting a owl bear Laughing
I think it's a slapdash design failure that wasted valuable idea space creating a class that does a worse job of defending by trying to stay in defender mode than it will by just taking the Barbarian's far, far superior powers and using those to draw heat while also killing stuff.

Well, you're wrong. My build above is an uberKnight, with +1 AC and a substantially larger MBA. It's a perfectly fine defender, an excellent one in this case because its L11 basically sucks Team Monster into its aura. 

When there's not much point to sticking that last target, the build can trade the aura and 2 AC for +9 damage. That's a nice little option to have.

And you're ignoring that old-school Barbarian builds suffer from needing three primary stats: Str, Dex for AC, and Con or Cha to make those supposedly "far, far superior" powers really pop via their riders. (At least, prior to the L13 autopick.)
Diffrence between Barbarian and Beserker

Barbarain Suffers from MAD and is stuck in the striker role.  Though if you are a thane born barbarian you can take the soldier of virtue feat and be pretty good at defending

Berserker does not suffer from MAD and is pretty straight foward.  Also it is a greath 5th character for
its ability to switch from defender to striker.

Well, you're wrong. My build above is an uberKnight, with +1 AC and a substantially larger MBA. It's a perfectly fine defender, an excellent one in this case because its L11 basically sucks Team Monster into its aura.

You have no method of attack-prevention on your punishment and a single enemy in the group with forced movement will negate your defender nova aspirations entirely. Not to mention your crucial power is expertiseless, so you'll be relying on party resources to buff it up. You're not "uber", you're near-trivial.

And you're ignoring that old-school Barbarian builds suffer from needing three primary stats: Str, Dex for AC, and Con or Cha to make those supposedly "far, far superior" powers really pop via their riders. (At least, prior to the L13 autopick.)

Actually, if I'm interested in playing at defender, the obvious solution is to hybrid Cleric, solving my AC problem beautifully.

Take Thane Born and Just Hybrid Cavalier (dragon 400) you get the aura constantly and the

STR  CHA line match up is perfect. Be a Dragon Born and have at it. Laughing

P.S you also get to smite all the time to.
You have no method of attack-prevention on your punishment.

Sure I do. It's called 1d12+27+2d8 of suck this. Now make your attack at -2 from the floor because you're prone (Wolf's Bound) and you just bought your bra another 2d12+22 high crit smack and -2 debuff.

a single enemy in the group with forced movement will negate your defender nova aspirations entirely.

Yes, yes, same as the Knight and the Fighter. That argument's been done. This particular build sometimes can render itself immune to this tactic by moving to an interior corner then teleporting Team Monster into all adjoining squares. Can't move through enemy-occupied squares, darn the luck.

Not to mention your crucial power is expertiseless, so you'll be relying on party resources to buff it up.

Now you're picking nits. So it only hits 50% of the time rather than 60%? Any aura defender will appreciate a sliding ally, sure. But the Berserker needs less help than most, thanks to Stalk and Strike, and this particular build jump-starts the process nicely, even at an effective -1/tier to hit.

Actually, if I'm interested in playing at defender, the obvious solution is to hybrid Cleric, solving my AC problem beautifully.

Sure, at the cost of level+2 HPs and probably an at-will, encounter, and daily that don't work with your defender mechanics. There's at least as much tradeoff there as in this new class design. The Berserker and the Skald are the most interesting mechanics to be introduced to the game in some time. Not just plain overpowered like Battle Cleric's Lore, simply a different approach to character design.

@ rancid_rouge hahahahahaha 1d12+27+2d8 of suck this lol that made me laugh really hard
Guys dont argue with Erachima. It's not worth anyones time. Era doesn't like the class, we do. (End of story) 

Further more this is the internet, it's not common that people get their mind changed here who aren't looking to have it changed. 

Now, to the at hand. I really recomend ditching Howling Strike completely. it's not as competent as your MBA, and aggresive lunge gives you the same damage output+ it gives you some push and shift.

The only Martial Daily worth having is the level 9. I do recomend having an encounter power of the martial persuasion, but typically the Primal's are consistiently better. Have one, 2 if you like, but the Primal encounter powers are far better suited. And I like the encounter powers more for the Fury anyways. (Opening my Fury with Brutal Slam has a certain appeal to me. =D)

As for rages I find I am very fond of Hydra Rage for the Berserker. Our MBA is much heftier then the other barb's, so getting a free swing on a miss is nifty.  
But if you don't have any Martial encounters, you're stuck with at-wills until you want to mode change.

True, it's going to be a balancing act but except for Howling Strike I think he has it under control. 

Looks like a solid build. Howling Strike.... I can see it being useful, but all in all I'd rather have the better powers. I plan on always entering my Fury with an encounter power, so for me it's better to enjoy my Martial at-will powers. 

Weaponsoul dance..... I really like the Deadly Berserker paragon, but Weaponsoul is just..... yeah.

Okay, so I just recently played a Beserker in encounters. Not an optomized Beserker, not even a Half-Orc or Thri-Kreen. A Drow, in fact, ignoring all the reasons not to, I did.
Brilliant class. Balanced, rewarding, a joy to play. Managed a DPR of 13.8 per round with an Unseelie summoned Sword of Winter's Mourning. In defender mode, due to a plehora of Off-turn attacks, I dealt more damage, and I felt Striker mode was less rewarding, yet still fun.
Okay, so I just recently played a Beserker in encounters. Not an optomized Beserker, not even a Half-Orc or Thri-Kreen. A Drow, in fact, ignoring all the reasons not to, I did.
Brilliant class. Balanced, rewarding, a joy to play. Managed a DPR of 13.8 per round with an Unseelie summoned Sword of Winter's Mourning. In defender mode, due to a plehora of Off-turn attacks, I dealt more damage, and I felt Striker mode was less rewarding, yet still fun.

I've seen hunters look "brilliant" in encounters. That doesn't mean the Hunter is a good class either.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
You raise a good point, Zelink. Encounters is intended to be quite easy. However, the DPR calcs are honest, if my memory is not. Going over my back-of-the-envelope calculations, I forgot to include the extra d8 from Vengeful Guardian. The correct DPR should be 17.3, plus or minus 10.5 if I make more than one Vengful Guardian attack.
+10 to hit AC 15, 1d10+1+4+1+1d10+1+4+1+1d8
I would take Berserk Vitality sooner, and leave out Power Attack altogether.  There are very few builds where Power Attack is worthwhile, and they're all hyper-accurate (Avengers mostly).

EDIT:  I also second the call to ditch Howling Strike.  You'll want to trigger Fury by using your encounter powers, because you'll tend to have more Primal ones than Martial ones.  You'll never lack a method to trigger Fury because you'll always want to use all of your encounter powers in a given encounter, and sooner is better than later.  Plus you'll really want Run Down because slowing at-will is very useful, and I'd pick up World Serpent's Grasp so you can knock slowed enemies prone (increasing your movement-denial capabilities).
Yeah power attack is kind of iffy. I've been thinking about it because i am going 2 handed weapons with Pack Outcast, so at level 5 it doesn't dip into my base + hit.

As to including Vengeful guardian into the equation.... it's like a condom. Just because you have it doesn't mean you'll use it. And character Op is about lab setting. Just because something might happen doesn't mean it will and figuring out the liklihood of using it in any given encounter is lengthy and only accurate for that encounter.

So leave it out. As to he Berserker's DPR, there is nothing we can do that a rageblood couldn't also do from an Op stand point. The berserker's value is completely tactical. He's the
Left handed warrior
meaning that his onjective usefulness isn't much greater or less then the average warrior, but his tactical advantages make him incredibly useful.
from an OP or lab setting he isn't that spectacular, what does make him a good class is versatillity. If your getting swarmed by minions you can defend, if you're going up against a solo, you can strike and you'll be competent (but not excel) at both. And I think he manages a pretty solid degree of tactical efficiency.

Also the Original Poster asked if someone was going to make a guide for the Berserker. I'm willing to invest my time into typing something out, but it's going to be a sub guide designed to be used with LDB's already magnificent Barbarian guide. BUT I don't have the commands memorized and I'll be needing quite a bit of imput from others to complete it.

Just gonna point out that you can, like all E-defenders, use your aura to multiattack. It's been my experience that the Beserker dished out more damage in Defendmode than in strikemode.

So leave it out. As to he Berserker's DPR, there is nothing we can do that a rageblood couldn't also do from an Op stand point. The berserker's value is completely tactical. He's the
Left handed warrior
meaning that his onjective usefulness isn't much greater or less then the average warrior, but his tactical advantages make him incredibly useful.
from an OP or lab setting he isn't that spectacular, what does make him a good class is versatillity. If your getting swarmed by minions you can defend, if you're going up against a solo, you can strike and you'll be competent (but not excel) at both. And I think he manages a pretty solid degree of tactical efficiency.

I like this!  Left handed warrior is a good way to describe the Berserker.

Also the Original Poster asked if someone was going to make a guide for the Berserker. I'm willing to invest my time into typing something out, but it's going to be a sub guide designed to be used with LDB's already magnificent Barbarian guide. BUT I don't have the commands memorized and I'll be needing quite a bit of imput from others to complete it.

Good plan, guides take a lot of time and the more you can utilize LDB's as the "baseline," the better. 

I don't usually pay much attention to strikers, but I'm loving the Berserker.  I'll definitely provide input if you start up a guide (hopefully I'll get a chance to actually play my Berserker soon!).

Just gonna point out that you can, like all E-defenders, use your aura to multiattack. It's been my experience that the Beserker dished out more damage in Defendmode than in strikemode.

This is going to be heavily DM-dependent.  For example, most of the people who DM in my group tend to attack the defender if marked or in his aura.  When I DM I like to mix it up and trigger the punishment for a tactical advantage (or an attempt at one, from the monster's PoV) when I can.  I wish it has caught on with the other DMs more, lol.  In any case it's difficult to force an aura/mark violation most of the time.  Even with the classic Artful Dodger + Defender pairing it's not long before the enemies realize not to take their OAs against the Rogue.

This is going to be heavily DM-dependent.  For example, most of the people who DM in my group tend to attack the defender if marked or in his aura.  When I DM I like to mix it up and trigger the punishment for a tactical advantage (or an attempt at one, from the monster's PoV) when I can.  I wish it has caught on with the other DMs more, lol.  In any case it's difficult to force an aura/mark violation most of the time.  Even with the classic Artful Dodger + Defender pairing it's not long before the enemies realize not to take their OAs against the Rogue.

Well, the situation I was talking about was specifically having a ranged character stand in the DA and lob atacks at other mobs, thus provoking OAs, and triggering my Aura. Takes a bit of teamwork, but with the right defender, you can pump out damage.

Well, the situation I was talking about was specifically having a ranged character stand in the DA and lob atacks at other mobs, thus provoking OAs, and triggering my Aura. Takes a bit of teamwork, but with the right defender, you can pump out damage.

That could work, but you'll run into the same issue as with AD Rogues with some DMs; they'll have the monsters avoid taking the OAs to avoid the damage.  The enemies will know that their attack will be at a -2 penalty, after all.

It is notable that aura-based defenders will still threaten those same monsters, since the punishment would have occurred on your ranged ally's turn, and OAs can be taken again on the monster's turn.  Still, it's a risky tactic since ranged PCs tend to be squishy, and PCs in general usually have fewer HP than monsters.  Used in moderation though, it is a good tactic if the DM takes the bait.

That could work, but you'll run into the same issue as with AD Rogues with some DMs; they'll have the monsters avoid taking the OAs to avoid the damage.  The enemies will know that their attack will be at a -2 penalty, after all.

It is notable that aura-based defenders will still threaten those same monsters, since the punishment would have occurred on your ranged ally's turn, and OAs can be taken again on the monster's turn.  Still, it's a risky tactic since ranged PCs tend to be squishy, and PCs in general usually have fewer HP than monsters.  Used in moderation though, it is a good tactic if the DM takes the bait.

It's still a good tactic because you're able to position somewhere you may not normally have been able to, and if you're the sort to do this often you're likely taking Battle Caster's Defense at some point, perhaps (or a Hunting Style Ranger).
Howling Strike is a near-gold pick on o-Barbarians.  It's red for berserkers, because it will almost always be better to simply use an MBA. You have no need whatsoever for primal at-wills, since you'll probably have all or all but one of your dailies and the same number of encounter powers that can launch your Fury.

You should also swap Heavy Blade Expertise for Two-Handed Weapon Expertise.

It's still a good tactic because you're able to position somewhere you may not normally have been able to, and if you're the sort to do this often you're likely taking Battle Caster's Defense at some point, perhaps (or a Hunting Style Ranger).

Oh, absolutely.  Even if the Berserker isn't "striking by defending" he's still exerting control over enemy choices and opening up opportunities for allies. 
I am tinkering with the berserker and seeing a few ideas I might try out.  The way I see it, the CharOp for the Design as intended (dual role), would work best with All martial At-wills, All Primal Encounters, and 50/50 dailies.

The Berserker Martial At-Wills work fine as striker powers when you hit Fury, and will still offer a tidbit of defense. While Defender, you don't need the muscle of encounters typically, but some of the martial DA boosting daily powers are well worth it depending on the fight. Instead, use encounters for Primal where you can get some multi-hitters, or a solo crushing attack to push you over the edge.  Toss on a Primal Daily here and there to get some REAL power for striking and bob's your uncle. 

Weapon selection is where things get finicky. You'll easily have the str for Heavy shields if you really want that extra ac. But then the two-handers are where the damage is. I can see berserkers carrying a set of each, free action to chuck 1h and shield minor to draw 2h and go fury. 

All around, the versatility of this class is where it's power lies, and it makes a perfect 5th man, or in the right group, a perfectly serviceable main tank.  
I am tinkering with the berserker and seeing a few ideas I might try out.  The way I see it, the CharOp for the Design as intended (dual role), would work best with All martial At-wills, All Primal Encounters, and 50/50 dailies.

The Berserker Martial At-Wills work fine as striker powers when you hit Fury, and will still offer a tidbit of defense. While Defender, you don't need the muscle of encounters typically, but some of the martial DA boosting daily powers are well worth it depending on the fight. Instead, use encounters for Primal where you can get some multi-hitters, or a solo crushing attack to push you over the edge.  Toss on a Primal Daily here and there to get some REAL power for striking and bob's your uncle. 

Weapon selection is where things get finicky. You'll easily have the str for Heavy shields if you really want that extra ac. But then the two-handers are where the damage is. I can see berserkers carrying a set of each, free action to chuck 1h and shield minor to draw 2h and go fury. 

All around, the versatility of this class is where it's power lies, and it makes a perfect 5th man, or in the right group, a perfectly serviceable main tank.  

For at-will DPR on a 50+% defender (that is, a character who doesn't need/want a full charging package since he'll want to hold a position a lot of the time), the temperate lands bonus to 1hander damage seems worthwhile.  All your at-wills and mark punishments will do well with that, and so will your real striker novas, Storm/Hurricane of Blades.  You'll fall behind on those high-[W] powers, but those don't tend to be your highest damage at Epic, anyway.  And a Waraxe is pretty respectable if you really want the big W.

The thing about the martial dailies is that most of the ones that are worthwhile compared to the good Rage powers are the ones that boost your Defender Aura, which is really only good if you're gonna leave it up almost the whole encounter.  I don't think I'd take more than one martial daily.  As to encounters, I'd probably keep one good martial encounter that would be pretty consistently good in the first two turns of combat... although at 27 when your class encounters can be Curtain of Steel, Storm of Blades, and Hurricane of Blades, it's hard to argue against any one of those.  Curtain of Steel seems especially awesome for the transition from defender to striker: just do whatever you can to convince the guy to hit you, then when he does, slap him for 3[W] and jump to Fury mode, ready to nova on your turn.

I do wish they'd written a better level 1 primal encounter power, since Barbarians don't have any especially exciting ones to start with, and you sort of need to go primal for your E1 to trigger fury on demand. 
Sign In to post comments