Post Apocalyptic Games

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am wondering about other post apocalyptic games and I am wondering about the boards feel toward some of these other games.

Games such as Mutant Future, Darwin's World, Mutazoids, and Marrow Project. Does anybody have some input to these games? Mutant Future is a free dl and is based on the early editions to GW. Mutazoids is also based on GW but not free. Darwin's World is GW with Grit. and I have no idea on Marrow Project.

Have you played any of these games?
Do they have good suppliment material for GW?
What do you like about those games compared to GW?
I don't have any experience with them. Mutant Future is technically not a retroclone of early editions of GW but that is the effective feel. It doesn't have much setting information in the book. There are some Scribe of Orcus material with cryptic alliances.

I don't think the original Mutazoids was based on GW but the d20 version certainly seems to be. I don't have any Darwin's World and Marrow Project because they were more about radiation being bad and not cool mutants (or at least that was my impression).

There is also After the Bomb. I don't recommend it. It has a really interesting creation system but the game really needs an errata. If you ask on their forum, you will find no one knows how to create a bird mutant because the rules don't make sense. The setting is kinda interesting although I think the earlier TMNT supplement books do a better job describing the setting than the new rpg. (It started as a supplement for the TMNT game and when Palladium drop the TMNT license they created it as a standalone game.)

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries

You are correct "After the bomb" is basically an extension of Pallidiums TMNT. I always enjoyed it..nothing better then playing a mutant badger or rhino. The only two other games that come to mind are "Twilight:2000" and "Aftermath".....twilight is more military focused, basically you are troops the survived the war.
Aftermath iss your standard after the bomb game....both fun!
There is Palladium's RIFTS, Palladium's Chaos Earth, Ad Astra, d20 Apocalypse, and the Mutant Chronicles that I'm familiar with. There was also Omega World which showed up in an issue of Dungeon. Palladium also has Beyond the Supernatural and Nightbane which aren't post-apocalypse, per se, but close.

After the Bomb started out as an expansion to TMNT but was eventually up-sized to it's own book. It's still based on TMNT, however.

I am actually, very slowly, converting d20 Modern + d20 * (Future, Cyberspace, Apocalypse, etc) to use as Gamma World Pure Strain Humans. Basically, you take the basic class (Fast, Charismatic, Heroic, Tough, etc) as an origin and an advanced class as an origin and you have a PSH. The problem is compressing these classes into origins that work with D&D 4e :P Since I'm using the SRD/OGL stuff, I'll be making the info, for conversion at least, available. If I won't get in trouble for it, I'll make the PSH origins available as well.
Of the list you provided, I would endorse Mutant Future. I did a playtest prior to its publication and I like the flow of the game, but I also enjoy pre-3E D&&D and MF is designed on the same rules model as Labyrinth Lords (which is a lot like pre-3E D&D).

Another game to consider is Metamorphosis Alpha.
(1) It was written by the same guy (James Ward) who co-wrote the original Gamma World.
(2) It is a post apocalyptic scenario on a lost starship instead of on a destroyed Earth, which gives the setting a different twist from the standard Gamma World scenario.
(3) It was one of the first ever scifi RPGs ever written, and it has some neat history.
Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playtesting D&D Next and liking it! OD&D player since 1975
I love Metamorphosis Alpha. (I heard there is going to be a 4e edition...?)

Good to know, and thank you for the responses!

The palladium games I have played: TMNT, Rifts, Superheros, Macross, etc... I think the settings in those were all great and I do use them in my Gamma World games.

Also Gurps and the Space D6 stuff.

I read the Mutant Future as well. There was little setting information, but some good stuff.

Thank you for helping me collect a bit of information for my next GW adventure!
I love Metamorphosis Alpha. (I heard there is going to be a 4e edition...?)

Well, the official word is "yes" but I'm not sure what's up with it. Signal Fire games announced playtest back in 2009 and I was supposed to be a part of it but they never got materials in my hands. Everything online gives the impression that it's going to be released "soon", but most of this information is about two years old so "soon" has long passed in my opinion. Undecided

One of my big concerns is that 4E has evolved into Essentials and if/when Metamorphosis Alpha ever does get the re-release it may be built on an obsolete rules platorm. Heck, by then we may be on 5E for D&D, which would really make the rules out-of-date.

The other thing that bothers me is that the guy who owns the rights to MA (James Ward) doesn't seem to know what's up with the new edition, either.

In the meantime, I'm more than happy with my old 1976 first edition rules. I have my old rulebook and the cheap PDF and I'm set for a long time to come...
Marv (Finarvyn) Master of Mutants (MA and GW) Playtesting D&D Next and liking it! OD&D player since 1975
One of my big concerns is that 4E has evolved into Essentials and if/when Metamorphosis Alpha ever does get the re-release it may be built on an obsolete rules platorm. Heck, by then we may be on 5E for D&D, which would really make the rules out-of-date.

The other thing that bothers me is that the guy who owns the rights to MA (James Ward) doesn't seem to know what's up with the new edition, either.

I don't worry about 4E as having evolved. Weren't the PHB versions of the classes put in one of the Essential Heroes books. I still play without Essentials material.

While I do think James Ward should be more informed, it sounded like they licensed it and weren't planning on being involved. Kinda like how Traveller has a GURPS version but the Traveller game continued independently. The lack of Signal Fire getting the product out in the original timeframe and little information has caused me to question their ability to make the product but hopefully they will have something amazing to torture my players with.

Identical Games

D&D Published World foums at The Piazza (Dark Sun, Mystara, Spelljammer, Planescape, and more); Core Coliseum; D&D Material including my Master/Expert DM Competition entries