11/15/2011 LI: "Why Are You Milling Yourself?"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Looks like Sadin has decided to one-up JVL in the department of overusing the term "very real".
You can play three, four, or even five copies of Harvest Pyre if you have ways to get cards into your graveyard in a hurry.

Harvest Pyre must be gamebreakingly real if you can play five copies of it.  
In Limited, you're allowed to play as many copies of a card as you can draft. Back in Coldsnap days, people would pick up six or seven copies of Surging Flame and cast them all in one turn.

Of course, Harvest Pyre is much worse than most other burn spells as a candidate for including five or six copies in a Limited deck, because each one uses up the resources the others need. 
Of course, Harvest Pyre is much worse than most other burn spells as a candidate for including five or six copies in a Limited deck, because each one uses up the resources the others need. 

I keep seeing people saying this, but it feels like everyone who does has never really played with Harvest Pyre.  Most of the time when you play it you're not removing 7-8 cards to kill something, you're removing 1-3, which is easily sustainable in almost any limited deck.  But at the same time, the fact that you CAN remove 7-8 cards to kill a huge GrimGrin or something is what makes the card so good.

I would run 5 in a heartbeat.  No questions asked.
Feeling of Dread is a very good card in aggressive white-blue decks, but it isn't usually something that you want to draw when you're playing a more controlling strategy. When you can get it for free by flipping it into your graveyard with a Forbidden Alchemy or an Armored Skaab, then it suddenly becomes a very worthwhile inclusion.

I don't get this.  How is it getting it for free?
Feeling of Dread is a very good card in aggressive white-blue decks, but it isn't usually something that you want to draw when you're playing a more controlling strategy. When you can get it for free by flipping it into your graveyard with a Forbidden Alchemy or an Armored Skaab, then it suddenly becomes a very worthwhile inclusion.

I don't get this.  How is it getting it for free?

He's talking about not having to draw it via it being in your graveyard due to milling.
Not even a mention of the common mill effect Curse of the Bloody Tome?