Modern Goblins

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does this look feasible? I mean when I boil it down, sure you dont get Pile Driver, Fanatic, no Matron either. But they seem very do-able. Anyone tested it much? 

I think so. You get Earwig Squad to help the combo match up along with thoughtseize etc. However what the ideal deck looks like, who knows....

Things you probably need:

4 Goblin Guide
4 Goblin Chieftan

4 Mutavault

4 Aether Vial? Although you probably just want more guys in your MD instead, so that you can apply constant pressure, making every draw a threat.

4 Warren Instigator and 3 Seige Gang Commander (seems pretty reasonable)

Tin Street Hooligan in the SB.

There's a host of other dudes as well who are pretty decent. There's no piledriver, but there is shared animsoity, which acts like a piledriver effect, although it does costs three. Curse of Stalked prey could even be a possibility.
Website for my radio series: http://www.cyrusbalesfilms.co.uk/id2.html For the facebook group of my radio series, search for "Who will save us now?" Please join! Follow my regular articles on: http://www.manaleak.com/mtguk/
It is not going to be easy to make it work, but it is possible.  Right now Zoo is faster than anything else, so everyone tends to build with it in mind.  This means that people will be ready for a fast aggro deck, and makes it very difficult for a aggro deck that is slightly slower than Zoo make it's mark.

That said, I have been beaten by Goblins, and even played against an awesome Vial Goblins deck, though I never did get a peek at the whole deck.
Should go the mox goblins route. It is entirely workable and has plenty of speed.

Kinda hampered by not being able to run great furnace so metalcraft is kinda tricky to get to. Mutavault is probably the best choice for artifact 13-16. 20 artifacts should give you metalcraft by turn 3 at the latest, keep an eye on the next few sets for a good useable artifact.

4 Memnite
4 goblin guide
4 flayer husk
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 warren instigator
4 Goblin Chieftain
4 Siege-Gang Commander

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Kuldotha Rebirth
4 goblin grenade

4 Mountain
4 copperline gorge
4 mutavault           
4 Teetering Peaks          
4 mox opal

sideboard
4 Perilous Myr
4 spikeshot elder
4 etched champion
3 tattermunge witch
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.
Should go the mox goblins route. It is entirely workable and has plenty of speed.

Kinda hampered by not being able to run great furnace so metalcraft is kinda tricky to get to. Mutavault is probably the best choice for artifact 13-16. 20 artifacts should give you metalcraft by turn 3 at the latest, keep an eye on the next few sets for a good useable artifact.

4 Memnite
4 goblin guide
4 flayer husk
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 warren instigator
4 Goblin Chieftain
4 Siege-Gang Commander

4 Lightning Bolt
4 Kuldotha Rebirth
4 goblin grenade

4 Mountain
4 copperline gorge
4 mutavault           
4 Teetering Peaks          
4 mox opal

sideboard
4 Perilous Myr
4 spikeshot elder
4 etched champion
3 tattermunge witch

Muta isn't an artifact, and doesn't become one. Run blinkmoth nexus instead?

Doh! Yeah inkmoth would work and should probably be sideboarded anyway for the alternate win con. you could aslo use any of the other manlands that change into artifact types. Since infect and regular damage do not stack well better to use blinkmoth instead.
You are Red/Blue!
You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

You know, I've been having a moderate amount of success with an extremely budget build that is basically a BURN deck that plays just enough Goblins to make Goblin Grenade viable.

I forget the exact decklist right now but it is something like this:
You know, I've been having a moderate amount of success with an extremely budget build that is basically a BURN deck that plays just enough Goblins to make Goblin Grenade viable.

I forget the exact decklist right now but it is something like this:

I think.  I'm sure the numbers still need to be played around with, but the general idea is there.  Extremely budget, but a better winning percentage than I had hoped for.  It can burn through most of the rogue decks and it is only really raced by Zoo and shut down by Lifegain decks.
here's the Goblin deck I've been running in Modern because, well, it's a ton of fun:

This is by NO means a finished list, it doesn't even have a sideboard, but I built it so I can have cheap aggro fun in modern.
I would have killed, literally ended someones life, to NOT have Arrogant Bloodlord riding a giant ant... Good times:
Show
but where DID the other fork come from?
Show
Lord_Zed: I was at my friends house when this happened. He's married and his wife was an excellent baker. She had baked a homemade apple pie the night before. I was hungry, and my friend convinced me to try those low carb monster drinks. Before this day, I had never triend energy drinks before. Boy was I in for a treat. When I tried that first monster, I really enjoyed the flavor, but the taste that it left in my mouth wasn't so good. What was my solution? Drink another! before I could finish drinking that 2nd monster, I felt it already kicking in(these drinks were not very far apart, we're talking minutes here) my friend decided that it was a good idea to whip out that fresh pie his wife made the night before. I didn't know what to do, since I felt incredibly invigorated, and at the same time, freaked out by the rush I was feeling, but I was also hungry, and my friend have me an entire plate with a fork and said "help yourself." He extended his saucer to me, and I cut him a piece of the pie and handed it to him, then I looked at the pie, noticed that the pie was in an aluminum holder, and dumped the entire pie onto my plate and started eating it with 2 forks. I don't know where I found that other fork, it probably came from my friend. Anyhow, his wife wasn't happy, and I was already in magical christmas land. 2 days later, I was in my friends bed and I slept for 14 hours. His wife outlawed my from having any of her baked goods for a while(which sucked because I could just show up at there house, steal some sweets, and leave) and said I couldn't have any energy drinks at her house, unless under close watch. My friend, on the other hand, had to take me out to a steak dinner, because apparently I won a bet where I climbed a tree and didn't die.
The great land debate:
Show
97563441 wrote:
Zendikar had fetchlands, and Worldwake had manlands. What are the new Scars duals called?
61325265 wrote:
Explosive Peanut Lightning lands. Well, that's just what I call them.
61325265 wrote:
58232598 wrote:
i'm just trying to figure out what the point of saying this is. it's just really random.
And so the pot met the kettle.
Goblins are actually kinda easy to build and are cheap. Combo matches are junk unless you splash for thoughtseize, IoK or Duress but you can enjoy a consistant turn 4 or maybe better. I still run my goblins deck from Zen/SoM standard and it isn't bad as is.

4x Goblin Guide
4x Spikeshot Elder
4x Goblin Bushwhacker
4x Goblin Wardriver
4x Goblin Chieftain

4x Lightning Bolt
4x Goblin Granade
4x Searing Blaze
4x Arc Trail

4x Teetering Peaks
4x Arid Mesa
4x Scalding Tarn
12x Mountain 

Obviously it was tuned to trash elves but the burn suite is tunable and even creatures are changable. High mana count was to feed searing blaze, elder, and my desire for consistant 3rd turn mana drops. 
Mogg Fanatic is a fine replacement for spikeshot if you want to change the mana around. Ghitu Encampment, Keldon Megaliths, Mikokoro, Center of the Sea, Blinkmoth Nexus and Mutavault are all lands that could work to provide more reach.
Sign In to post comments