Defense Feat Questions

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok i have a Paladin that is Paragon tier and i am trying to optimize my defences to be as really high and i am trying to see how the feats will stack.

If i have the "improvised defenses" feat (heroic Tier) and i take the "Paragon Defenses" feat (paragon tier) will they stack? if not can someone please explain to me what the actual character building rules are for defense feats.

Thanks,

Swagger6
Ok i have a Paladin that is Paragon tier and i am trying to optimize my defences to be as really high and i am trying to see how the feats will stack.

If i have the "improvised defenses" feat (heroic Tier) and i take the "Paragon Defenses" feat (paragon tier) will they stack? if not can someone please explain to me what the actual character building rules are for defense feats.

Thanks,

Swagger6

They won't stack because both Improved Defenses and Paragon Defenses provide a feat bonus and like bonuses won't stack. (Yes, this means that Paragon Defenses and Robust Defenses are dead feats now.) 

Either would stack with the Epic tier NAD boosters because those provide an untyped bonus.
Ok so its just like why feats that bolster your attack rolls wont stack. got it thanks for the help.

Swagger6

Thanks,

Swagger6

Bonuses of the same type never stack.

Improved Defenses gives you a +1/+2/+3 feat bonus to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will. Since Paragon Defenses also grants you a feat bonus, they are the same type, and therefore you only get the better of the two.

Not all feats grant feat bonuses, however. For instance, if you're a Cha/Wis paladin, and your fort is low, you can look into the Stout Shield feat, which grants your shield bonus to your fortitude. This is a shield bonus, so it stacks with feat, item, enhancement, and power bonuses you get from other sources.

The special case is untyped bonuses. This is when something grants a "+X bonus to Y" without giving a specific type of bonus. Untyped bonuses stack with all other typed bonuses, and other untyped bonuses, as long as they do not come from the Same Named Game Element (such as two Warlords in the party both granting Combat Leader's +2 to Initiative. It's untyped, but you only get one, because it's the Same Named Game Element, Combat Leader).

These are the most common types of bonues:

• Feat

• Item

• Power

• Racial

• Enhancement

Does that clear things up? 

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Be a sword & board Paladin - use a heavy shield.
1. MC fighter
2. Feat Encouraging Shield +2 shield bonus to WILL
3. Feat Stout Shield +2 shield bonus to FORT or

4. Feat Divinity's Shield use Channel Divinity to get a +2 to NADs eonT