An unorthodox Monk build

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This build is pretty unusual. and yes, I realize that the paragon path 11th level power would not be usable until 12th when the character pickes up Power of Arcana to use with divine bolts, but here it is. Thoughts from anyone who has played a monk are welcomed.

1st, human; unarmored agility, melee training

2nd weapon expertise; Unarmed

4th improved monk unarmed strike

6th weapon focus; unarmed

8th improved defenses

10th accolyte of divine secrets (divine bolt 1/encounter)
11th psionic defiling, Master Defiler Paragon Path
12th power of Arcana

14th mark of making

16thweapons master

18th brutal flurry

20th toughness
21st Dragon King Epic Destiny, form mastery
22nd unarmed mastery

24th fluid motion

26th arcane leach

28th victims defilement

30th defiling adept
Why all the focus on basic attacks instead of using actual powers through a Ki Focus?
I'm trying to get Character Builder let me make a halfling monk with the Soaring Blade paragon path, which gives proficiency in and requires use of a heavy blade.  I want my halfling monk to use the heavy blade one-handed so I can carry a dagger in the off hand.  How can I get the size a the long sword down to the "small" catagory with Character Builder?  I changed the damage die from d8 to d6, but it still required I use it two-handed.
I'm trying to get Character Builder let me make a halfling monk with the Soaring Blade paragon path, which gives proficiency in and requires use of a heavy blade.  I want my halfling monk to use the heavy blade one-handed so I can carry a dagger in the off hand.  How can I get the size a the long sword down to the "small" catagory with Character Builder?  I changed the damage die from d8 to d6, but it still required I use it two-handed.

You can't.  Use a Scimitar instead.  Also, next time, make your own thread.  It might get you an answer quicker. 

To further elaborate on this: 4th Edition doesn't have "weapon size" rules like in 3rd or Pathfinder.  A weapon's damage dice rarely change size.  If you are a Small creature, you have to wield a weapon with the Versatile property in both hands.  A Longsword has the Versatile property, so you have to wield it with both hands.  A Scimitar, however, does not have the Versatile property, so you can wield it one handed.  Also, it is High Crit, which means you roll extra damage dice on a critical hit.  It is +2 Proficiency, instead of +3 Proficiency, though.

I don't think there are any Heavy Blades which would be better than the Scimitar for a Halfling.
Also, it is High Crit, which means you roll extra damage dice on a critical hit.  It is +2 Proficiency, instead of +3 Proficiency, though.

I don't think there are any Heavy Blades which would be better than the Scimitar for a Halfling.

Note that, for a Monk, both High Crit and Proficiency are largely irrelevant, since they use Implement attacks almost exclusively, and neither applies to Implement attacks.

Drow Long Knife would be better if you ever are likely to make weapon attacks, and it gives you an RBA, albeit a STR-based one.  You can make an end-run around proficiency issues, too, by using the Mage's Weapon enchantment.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Sign In to post comments