Dragon 405 - Class Acts - Swordmage: The Winterguard of Cendriane

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dragon 405
Class Acts - Swordmage: The Winterguard of Cendriane
by Tim Eagon

Criminals whisper of an inescapable prison of blue ice built atop a snow-covered mountain far to the north of the Nentir Vale.

Talk about this article here.

See, already I'm thinking of how great this would be with a companion Dungeon adventure!

I see this as being a few days ride from Wolfstone. Spoken of in hush tones by the Skalds, the Eladrin prison of ice. AWESOME dungeons possibility, big bad boss is an insane aberrant creature that revels in the pure chaos of a prison break. Players wade through every creature the DM wants to run but has never had a story reason to put together, in addition to some fey knights reskinned as possessed Winterguard. Lots of cold themed hazards.

So much fun! 
It's nice they finally supporting the aegis of ensnarement with more powers, if only they fixed the terrible base mechanic.
Dimensional Cleave is now mandatory for Ensnaring swordmages. The rest of the powers provide an interesting way to play a swordmage focused on lockdown strategies. Not quite what I expected, but interesting nonetheless. 

However, no feats = booh! 
Nice article. Great fluff, cool and effective crunch and a sweet Grandmaster Training to boot !

I don't really know if its enought to fix the Ensnaring Swordmage, but it surly help.

Merci Tim ! 

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

I'm glad you guys are enjoying the article.  I pitched the article as a design challenge to myself, so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  I knew going in that I wasn't going to "fix" the ensnaring swordmage, but I wanted to give them some more interesting options, which is why I emphasized their controller aspect (and tried to buff up their mark punishment a little).  I'm particulary heartened that everyone seems to really enjoy the flavor; I wrote it during a stressful time (issues with our pregnancy, FYI everything turned out OK), so I wasn't sure how it would turn out.
Tim Eagon My DDI Articles Follow me on Twitter @Tim_Eagon
I'm glad you guys are enjoying the article.  I pitched the article as a design challenge to myself, so I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  I knew going in that I wasn't going to "fix" the ensnaring swordmage, but I wanted to give them some more interesting options, which is why I emphasized their controller aspect (and tried to buff up their mark punishment a little).  I'm particulary heartened that everyone seems to really enjoy the flavor; I wrote it during a stressful time (issues with our pregnancy, FYI everything turned out OK), so I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

I really rather like the Ensnaring powers. I thank you for them.
Dimensional Cleave + Grasping Ensnarement + World Serpent's Grasp. Makes your mark punishment pretty fierce, if only once per encounter. 

And then beg the DM to throw some Power Jewels your way so that it's a repeatable trick. :D