Battlemind Questions for the Experts

37 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here's the build that I'm looking to start playing this weekend. It's basically a variant on the Achilles build, which I must say, is a great build. I just have a few questions:

1) Am I hurting myself by taking the 20 con, instead of putting points into strength and dexterity, which will mean more feat access. I'm basically going the hammer route, with hammer rhythm being high on my list of wants in paragon.

2) Is there something better to take as a level 8 feat, than Weapon Focus Hammer?

Thought and opinions are very welcome and appreciated.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Xavier, level 8
Human, Battlemind
Psionic Study Option: Persistent Harrier
Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
Missing Master (Missing Master Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 22, DEX 11, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
STR 10, CON 18, DEX 11, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10

AC: 26 Fort: 25 Ref: 19 Will: 24
HP: 79 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
Athletics +7, Endurance +13, Insight +13, Perception +13

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3, Arcana +3, Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Dungeoneering +7, Heal +7, History +3, Intimidate +4, Nature +7, Religion +3, Stealth +2, Streetwise +4, Thievery +2

POWERS
Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
Battlemind Feature: Battlemind's Demand
Battlemind Feature: Blurred Step
Battlemind Feature: Mind Spike
Battlemind Feature: Persistent Harrier
Battlemind Attack 1: Conductive Defense
Battlemind Attack 1: Vicious Cobra Strike
Battlemind Attack 1: Aspect of Elevated Harmony
Battlemind Utility 2: Telepathic Challenge
Battlemind Attack 3: Lodestone Lure
Battlemind Attack 5: Nightmare Vortex
Battlemind Utility 6: Psionic Ambush
Battlemind Attack 7: Forceful Reversal

FEATS
Level 1: Master at Arms
Level 1: Melee Training (Constitution)
Level 2: Superior Fortitude
Level 4: Superior Will
Level 6: Harrying Step
Level 8: Weapon Focus (Hammer)

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit
Heavy Shield x1
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Badge of the Berserker +2 x1
Frost Brand Warhammer +2 x1
Backpack (empty)
Acrobat Boots x1
Ebon Drakescale Armor +2 x1
Distance Throwing hammer +1
====== End ======
Since you don't have a keyed secondary, having a 20 in CON will not hinder you.
Thanks DuelistDelSol!

I was looking around, and I've locked myself out of Plater Armor and the Armor Specializations, but I didn't think they'd hurt me a lot not having those. I was hoping masterwork armor could make up for them.
Well the +1 AC.. which is what I meant. We likely won't play much in epic... heroic and paragon are our prefered areas. I don't think I'm missing much by forgoing armor specialization.. but I could be wrong and I probably am.
I can't see +1 Surge, +1hit/damage, +1 Fort not being worth missing out on a +1AC feat (or even +2AC for 2 feats).  But if you could find 15 Str by level 11 for both Hammer Rhythm and Plate Prof... eek, I see you have to lose Superior Will for that.  Yeah, that's rough.
1) It is going to be difficult to get to Hammer Rhythm as it requires 15 strength. You may want to consider dropping your wisdom. For the most part Wisdom isn't a very important secondary (you may find you aren't using it at all mostly depending on your paragon path) and you can probably lower it for increases in other areas. However, many battleminds find themselves ending up with 18 (instead of 20) Con. Note that if you have 15 strength you could get Plate instead of specializing in scale.

2) There are a number of very good options here that you are missing. Perhaps the most important is hammer expertise. +1/2/3 to attack rolls is much more valuable that increasing your damage. Other nice feats for you might include Hammering Iron, Skill Power, Battle Awareness, Defender of the Wild,

What the other posters were refering to with the masterwork armor comments is that D&D is balanced around a certain monster progression. Monsters essentially get +1 to attacks and +1 to defenses every level. If you don't scale at the same rate, you will fall behind as you level. As a result the game has a number of built in things to improve your scaling. One of these is masterwork armors. It is assumed that you get these or you will fall behind. You can easily get away with one less AC, but it isn't really like you can make up for it somewhere else.

Also since you are human, don't forget that the extra at-will you get cannot be augmented. Combine this with the fact you seem to have more feat slots than you know what to do with. This kind of implies that human may not be the best race for you (unless you are doing it for roleplaying reasons). You may consider a race with 2 stat bonuses; this will help you get to the feat levels you need.
Battleminds, especially ones focused around BB, need feats.
He has expertise, Master at Arms
I don't like Superior Fort
I like Defender of the Wild to open up BB barrage.
But yeah, an additional +2 would be nice... 
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!
Great advice! Thank you so much for pointing out a few of my weaker points.

*I had no clue I couldn't augment the human bonus at-will. I was hoping to use it to keep Conductive Defense, Vicious Strike and Loadstone Lure. I really really like Loadstone Lure. And I really like the +1 to defenses.

1) It is going to be difficult to get to Hammer Rhythm as it requires 15 strength. You may want to consider dropping your wisdom. For the most part Wisdom isn't a very important secondary (you may find you aren't using it at all mostly depending on your paragon path) and you can probably lower it for increases in other areas. However, many battleminds find themselves ending up with 18 (instead of 20) Con. Note that if you have 15 strength you could get Plate instead of specializing in scale.

2) The re are a number of very good options here that you are missing. Perhaps the most important is hammer expertise. +1/2/3 to attack rolls is much more valuable that increasing your damage. Other nice feats for you might include Hammering Iron, Skill Power, Battle Awareness, Defender of the Wild .

I picked up Master at Arms, instead of Bludgeon Expertise, because as a minor I can switch to the throwing hammer and attack at range, if that were an issue. Plus it works with any weapons. You're right, Bludgeon is probably better.

Thanks to your input, I dropped human, picked up Warforged (Since we're playing in Eberron) and changed things up a bit. I'll pick up Defender of the Wild at 10:

STR 13, CON 18, DEX 10, INT 8, WIS 13, CHA 10

AC: 27 Fort: 22 Ref: 18 Will: 23

HP: 79 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 19

POWERS

Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack

Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack

Warforged Racial Power: Warforged Resolve

Battlemind Feature: Battlemind's Demand

Battlemind Feature: Blurred Step

Battlemind Feature: Mind Spike

Battlemind Feature: Persistent Harrier

Battlemind Attack 1: Conductive Defense

Battlemind Attack 1: Aspect of Bitter Ice

Battlemind Utility 2: Telepathic Challenge

Battlemind Attack 3: Lodestone Lure

Battlemind Attack 5: Nightmare Vortex

Battlemind Utility 6: Psionic Ambush

Battlemind Attack 7: Forceful Reversal

FEATS

Level 1: Bludgeon Expertise

Level 2: Harrying Step

Level 4: Melee Training (Constitution)

Level 6: Armor Proficiency: Plate

Level 8: Superior Will

ITEMS

Ebon Layered Plate Armor +2 x1

Frost Brand Warhammer +2 x1

Heavy Shield x1

Badge of the Berserker +2 x1

Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1

Acrobat Boots x1

Sorry I missed Master at Arms. Silly me.

Since you are picking up multiclass warden you will qualify for some nice Warden feats including...

Crippling Crush - hammer deals extra damage if you have a lot of slows/immobalizes
Sudden Roots - your OAs slow
Forceful smash - hammer knocks prone on a crit
Warden's endurance - Once per encounter you can make a save at the start of your turn instead of at the end of it.
Sorry I missed Master at Arms. Silly me.

Since you are picking up multiclass warden you will qualify for some nice Warden feats including...

Crippling Crush - hammer deals extra damage if you have a lot of slows/immobalizes
Sudden Roots - your OAs slow
Forceful smash - hammer knocks prone on a crit
Warden's endurance - Once per encounter you can make a save at the start of your turn instead of at the end of it.

Just a note about Forceful Smash, the feat Overwhelming Critical completely supersedes it.

Later on,
Ghorrin

1) Am I hurting myself by taking the 20 con, instead of putting points into strength and dexterity, which will mean more feat access. I'm basically going the hammer route, with hammer rhythm being high on my list of wants in paragon.

Since you're looking at Hammer Rhythm, as was mentioned you need 15 strength.  Assuming you're going to go Brutal Barrage, you probably want to max Con and forget Wisdom and Charisma riders anyway.  My level 14 variant has Str:15, Con:24, Dex:9, Int:13, Wis:16, Cha:11 (and is Genasi, which is why Int is higher than Dex).

Thanks to your input, I dropped human, picked up Warforged (Since we're playing in Eberron) and changed things up a bit. I'll pick up Defender of the Wild at 10:

Speaking of my battlemind that maxes Con, since you're playing Eberron and have access to dragonmarks (presumably), you can also take a look at my hybrid Fighter/Battlemind, now that I finally got around to posting Nala.

It's similar to Achilles, but uses hybrid with Fighter to play a bit different in terms of mark punishment, but also to go with Shocking Flame+Mark of Storms+Hindering Shield to slide/slow, and use Lyrandar Wind Rider for +1 attack and +Con damage.  To your original concerns, my build maxes Con, and has 15 Str and 15 Wis by 11th, which qualifies for both Hammer Rhythm and Superior Will.  The biggest drawback to maxing Con is that your Reflex and Will defenses will be on the low side until you get Epic Will and Epic Reflex.  Good thing you have lots of HP and surges.
The windrider option is interesting... any way to pick that up on a human? I really like having that extra at-will, only because of being forced to give up other ones when you level.
The windrider option is interesting... any way to pick that up on a human? I really like having that extra at-will, only because of being forced to give up other ones when you level.

Well, there is no fundamental reason you can't be human, but you need a way to deal lightning or thunder damage with brutal barrage.  You can do a lightning weapon, but then you need a way to do cold damage for lasting frost/cold vulnerable since that precludes using a frost weapon.  Genasi gets this easily with Stormsoul plus Shocking Flame.

But you could also just sacrifice cold vulnerable and the 2 extra damage from shocking flame to go human, which would make you a better defender (+1 to all NADS, and 2 extra feats (lasting frost and the human bonus feat), and just use a Lightning Weapon.  You could also take Pack Outcast as a human for CA on all of your melee attacks.  But again, Lasting Frost+cold damage+shocking flame can be as much as 56 damage on an AP turn.  Also, you're giving up +2d8 (3d8 at epic) per hit for two turns every encounter in Promise of Storm.  If Nala connects on all 8 attacks with Promise of Storm active on an action point, she does 16d8+51 more damage (assuming no base state) compared to the Human Lightning Weapon version.

Of course there is the "how much damage is too much?" question.  I actually play a house rule custom PP in my game, that has the slowed feature from Son of Mercy, without +Wisdom or +Constitution damage, but has some defender and mobility features instead... and it still shreds monsters, despite doing 7 (+con modifier) less damage per hit.  So giving up 7 damage/hit is not the end of the world -- but you will miss the Promise of Storm damage boost in terms of burst damaging a high threat target.

And note that the LWR version almost has to be a fighter/battlemind since you need fighter for hindering shield, and warden for crippling crush, to get slowed on each hit of your barrage, as well as the extra damage for it.

One last note -- in reality, once you reach level 13, you won't miss the at-will power.  You'll Brutal Barrage with pretty much every standard action you ever make because it out paces anything else you could possibly do.  Nala regularly tops 100 damage at level 16.
You could always just take Winter Fury and a Lightning Weapon, couldn't you? Or do they overwrite each other?

Incidentally, if you're doing BB optimization, hammers matter sweet **** all and race even less than that: the true power of BB hax is probably in Son of Mercy + Frost/Radiant damage with a heavy blade. Son of Mercy gives you autoproning, which triggers Headsman's Chop and a pair of level 17 Hand slot items that let you do 5 extra damage against prone targets, so you're cranking out 20 damage a shot without any effort. I forget if Son of Mercy's damage applies to Brutal Barrage, but if so that's about 25 damage a hit using Lasting Frost, 30 if you're part of a basic Radiant Mafia, 35 if you have a Radiant Boon, 40 on a Solar Enemy turn, and 45 if you have a Sainted General on deck, minimum. Needless to say, this is a very good way to defend, since your enemies will die super fast to your focus.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Lodestone Lure is kind of pathetic compared to the Lightning Rush + BB combo. Don't bother with it IMO.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Lodestone Lure is kind of pathetic compared to the Lightning Rush + BB combo. Don't bother with it IMO.

It's quite nice for defener minded Battleminds.  (as opposed to strike-minded ones).

Attack, and move away (longstep or fey shift)  = stun (against melee creatures).

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

A defendery battlemind who wants to troll melee would be better off doing push-hax. There's ways to avoid Lodestone Lure's effect, but none for getting chucked twenty squares back.
You could always just take Winter Fury and a Lightning Weapon, couldn't you? Or do they overwrite each other?

Well, Since we needed Lightning damage to fuel Lyrandar Wind Rider, it's kind of mutually exclusive with Winter Fury.

Incidentally, if you're doing BB optimization, hammers matter sweet **** all and race even less than that: the true power of BB hax is probably in Son of Mercy + Frost/Radiant damage with a heavy blade. Son of Mercy gives you autoproning, which triggers Headsman's Chop and a pair of level 17 Hand slot items that let you do 5 extra damage against prone targets, so you're cranking out 20 damage a shot without any effort. I forget if Son of Mercy's damage applies to Brutal Barrage, but if so that's about 25 damage a hit using Lasting Frost, 30 if you're part of a basic Radiant Mafia, 35 if you have a Radiant Boon, 40 on a Solar Enemy turn, and 45 if you have a Sainted General on deck, minimum. Needless to say, this is a very good way to defend, since your enemies will die super fast to your focus.

The Brutal Barrage + Crippling Crush + Son of Mercy combo is well documented, and indeed is race agnostic.  The build I was commenting on was a Fighter/Battlemind (Nala), and Ivanthegrey asked if it could be done as a human.  It can be partially executed as a human, but that build really does use the Genasi parts to function.  It combines:

* Stormsould Genasi and Shocking Flame to get 2 extra Lightning damage, and the Lightning keyword.
* Mark of Storm to get slide on hit.
* Hindering Shield to get slow on slide.
* Crippling Crush to get +Con "extra" damage on slow.
* Lyrander Wind Rider to get +Con "extra" damage on lightning powers (and +1 to hit as gravy).
* Frost Weapon to get cold damage.
* Lasting Frost to inflict cold vulnerability.
* Promise of Storm for a two turn nova once/encounter (+2d8/3d8 per hit, paragon/epic).
* Hammer Rhythm to do Con damage on misses.
* At epic, Overwhelming Impact to trade slow+Con damage on one hit for dazed.

The end result is that Brutal Barrage does Con+Con+Con+2+5 per hit (in paragon), and Con+Con+Con+4+5 per hit at epic... and by 30th, Extra Manifestation and Double Manifestation can add Fire Soul (+4 more fire damage per hit).  (add Gauntlets of Brutality to the mix, tho prone is harder to reliably count even on a power that causes prone, since it depends on when the DM counts the timing of it from Brutal Barrage, and of course the monster can stand up).

You can build a Brutal Barrage optimized human, no problem.  But if you're taking the LWR approach, Genasi is really the way to go.

A defendery battlemind who wants to troll melee would be better off doing push-hax. There's ways to avoid Lodestone Lure's effect, but none for getting chucked twenty squares back.

Any small area would negate push-hax.

Also, any BB spammer want's to take brillant recovery.  Cause your likely to miss at least once, and more attacks = more damage.

guides
Power
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Also, any BB spammer want's to take brillant recovery.  Cause your likely to miss at least once, and more attacks = more damage.

...Unless, of course, you're doing tricks with Star Favored Champion and Shield Slam+Practiced Reliability as a Fighter/Battlemind with only enough strength for hammer rhythm.  :P

Pseudo Brilliant Recovery at level 21, and since these are MBAs, add Goad of Blood, and it's even better once/day (minor action brutal barrages!?  Yes please.).
Wow, lots of great info... thank you so much!! This is my first foray into the Battlemind Character... and I'm really looking forward to playing it Sunday.

I like the strikerish defender builds, mostly because they give me the surges to be a little dangerous...lol. And while the group has some well built characters.. but some others aren't, so while I want to be optimized and blow everyone out of the water.. I have to hold back, because the DM will be up the level of the baddies, and they will likely suffer for it.

I'm curious.. how does the Fighter\Battlemind play at levels 8 - 10? We're at 8... won't hit paragon for a long while. I do have a Frost Brand +2 Warhammer though, which partially sets me up for the Frost abuse, but that's down the road. I

Our DM won't allow a homebrew PP like that...  so I was thinking son of mercy? That's the best best at this point I think.
I'm curious.. how does the Fighter\Battlemind play at levels 8 - 10? We're at 8... won't hit paragon for a long while. I do have a Frost Brand +2 Warhammer though, which partially sets me up for the Frost abuse, but that's down the road.

Well, it depends... does your DM allow LFR retrains?  If so, it's not too hard to make it quite playable at 8-10, and then retrain most of it at 11th  :D.  If not, it will work, but will be sub-optimal since so much of the heroic build is meeting pre-reqs for awesomeness at paragon.  The base Combat Challenge+Blurred Step combo is very good for defending provided you have a decent MBA, and you'll have a lot of hit points, good AC and Fort, and lots of surges.  My build took charging gear, and relied on that in heroic, and cycled into frost gear starting at level 11.  There really isn't a way that you can make any battlemind into a true striker until level 13, and doing that requires some investment earlier if you can't retrain with impunity.  The fighter/battlemind LWR is a quite a bit heavier on investment than the SoM model, but the payoff is that starting at level 11, the LWR doesn't rely on Lawbreaker's Doom to do its damage (meaning you can switch targets, and do your extra damage on interrupts and OAs, against any target), and it also does more damage (+1 to hit, +Con instead of +Wis, Shocking Flame, and Promise of Storm encounter nova), has built in slides (this is actually better on OAs and combat challenge attacks, since you have a built in slide 2 to move the enemy out of range of your allies), still slows, and at epic can daze at-will.  (and that's before mentioning the minor action MBAs at epic, and converting those to minor action brutal barrages with Goad of Blood at level 25).  Basically Achilles is probably a slightly better build from 8-10.  They are about the same 11-12.  After level 13, the Nala build is a better striker (but not inherently a better or worse defender).  At Epic, Nala will generally get an extra attack every turn, and also dazes compared to Achilles, tho Achilles does pick up Shocking Flame and Promise of Storm at epic to catch up in that regard.  At level 25, Nala's daily Goad of Blood encounter is just nuts.  Achilles will have more power points, but it's not as if you generally run out before mop up time using 1 at a time even with the hybrid build.

I guess it depends on your DM, and your willingness to invest.  Achilles is also aiming at level 13 in heroic, so it's not like that build is full of awesome from 8-10 either, but it's perhaps stronger.  Both are playable at those levels IMO tho.

Our DM won't allow a homebrew PP like that...  so I was thinking son of mercy? That's the best best at this point I think.

well from a striking perspective, dragonmarks and LWR are better...  My custom path more or less agreed to lower damage in exchange for versatility  ;)

...Unless, of course, you're doing tricks with Star Favored Champion and Shield Slam+Practiced Reliability as a Fighter/Battlemind with only enough strength for hammer rhythm.  :P

Pseudo Brilliant Recovery at level 21, and since these are MBAs, add Goad of Blood, and it's even better once/day (minor action brutal barrages!?  Yes please.).

Wow....  Add that to lightning fury...

Think you might be a new damage king.

guides
Power
my builds

Wow....  Add that to lightning fury...

Think you might be a new damage king.

I don't know about that -- it depends on how you evaluate... it can't nova with a ranger (on its own), but it can sustain ridiculous damage with Goad of Blood.  Add party support (attack granting leaders, a wisdom based character with Sever the Source, a Warlock with Hellsworn Blessing) and you can just do INSANE damage with Goad of Blood (vulnerable 19 all plus Hammer Rhythm is just NUTS).

Anyway, it's funny, I posted Nala (link earlier in this thread), and the only thing anyone has had to say was questioning the interaction of a frost weapon and shocking flame.  You'd think a build that (at level 21) can Brutal Barrage for Con*3+4 (+5 if you allow frost weapon to interact with shocking flame), slow, slide 2, prone, daze, mark, and make 2 MBAs as minor actions (almost) at-will would have gotten a little more notice.  (enemy's choices are: try to crawl away and eat an OA+slide, stand up and be done, or attack you from prone and eat Forceful Reversal [if they hit], or attack one of your allies from prone at -2 and eat Combat Challenge... plus an OA if it was a ranged attack).  That it can do the Goad of Blood trick at level 25 is just added insanity.  Oh well.

I don't know about that -- it depends on how you evaluate... it can't nova with a ranger (on its own), but it can sustain ridiculous damage with Goad of Blood.  Add party support (attack granting leaders, a wisdom based character with Sever the Source, a Warlock with Hellsworn Blessing) and you can just do INSANE damage with Goad of Blood (vulnerable 19 all plus Hammer Rhythm is just NUTS).

Go look at the top DPR king.

Goad of Blood could possibly double that... 

guides
Power
my builds

Well, I'm not sure about including a daily stance in a DPR context, nor a chain that can be broken by a "lucky" attack roll, but in terms of sustaining in a single encounter, assumptions:

1. No power points.
2. Ring of free time and milestone
3. Start adjacent to enemy prone from last round.
4. Level 26

Rough estimate:

Brutal Barrage: +35 vs AC 40
  Hit: 40 damage (9 con, 9 storm adept, 9 crippling crush, 5 gauntlets of brutality, 8 shocking flame(*))
  Miss: 9 damage
  Per attack: (40*.8)+(9*.2)+(.05*17.5) = 32+1.8+0.875 = 34.675
Shield Slam: +19 vs Fort 38

Assuming a miss on shield slam (90%) since this isn't interesting otherwise, we get 12 attacks (standard plus 3 minors), for roughly 416.1 damage.  (The build has 3 ways to recover shield slam if it hits daily, but it does still need to avoid hitting with shield slam).

(*) character has double manifestation and manifests both stormsoul and firesoul

Well, I'm not sure about including a daily stance in a DPR context, nor a chain that can be broken by a "lucky" attack roll, but in terms of sustaining in a single encounter, assumptions:

1. No power points.
2. Ring of free time and milestone
3. Start adjacent to enemy prone from last round.
4. Level 26

Rough estimate:

Brutal Barrage: +35 vs AC 40
  Hit: 40 damage (9 con, 9 storm adept, 9 crippling crush, 5 gauntlets of brutality, 8 shocking flame(*))
  Miss: 9 damage
  Per attack: (40*.8)+(9*.2)+(.05*17.5) = 32+1.8+0.875 = 34.675
Shield Slam: +19 vs Fort 38

Assuming a miss on shield slam (90%) since this isn't interesting otherwise, we get 12 attacks (standard plus 3 minors), for roughly 416.1 damage.  (The build has 3 ways to recover shield slam if it hits daily, but it does still need to avoid hitting with shield slam).

(*) character has double manifestation and manifests both stormsoul and firesoul

Better estimate.

1) Lightning fury does 19 damage per square.
2) Staggering weapon + rushing cleats + mark of storms = slide 8
3) Use ghostly vitality, death's quickening, and ring of free time for 6 minor's
4) Shield Slam to miss...
5) 6 Brutal Barrages * 3 attack = 18

18 attacks * 19 damage * 8 squares = 2736 DPR.  (+ hits, + crits, / misses).

Actually, that's not double (2439.34, it's probably less)  I forgot the current ED let us double the slides...

guides
Power
my builds

Battering Shield (feat) adds another square of slide.
would the ED that makes daily utilities into encounter powers work on goad of blood?
My Works
My House Rules Cryptic Commander: a Tiefling Wizard|Warlord - Arcane Wayfarer - Planeshaper that focuses on controlling every creature in an encounter. Feyknight: A Half-Elf Knight - Gladiator Champion - Marshall of Letherna build that uses Eldritch Strike and the White Lotus Riposte feats to create a decent catch-22 with his mark aura. Novamancer: a Wizard/Swordmage - Malec-Keth Janissary - Radiant One that specializes in area damage, somewhat item dependent but is capable of massive damage. the Epic Crit-Fisher: Avenger/Ranger-PMC-Eternal Seeker with a 2,560 damage crit-fishing nova. Eldritch Slayer: A Slayer - Kulkor - Destined Scion that uses a similar trick to the Knight, combined with Kulkor for some decent DPR. Polearm Seeker|Fighter: A Seeker|Fighter/Psion - Kensei - Destined Scion build that uses Polearm Momentum to not be super bad. Generic Runepriest: A generic type Runepriest/Fighter - Hammer of Vengeance - Destined Scion
One does not
111819409 wrote:
99856009 wrote:
by RAW, you can't horse into the forge of the dawn titan.

...Couldn't resist.

would the ED that makes daily utilities into encounter powers work on goad of blood?

No Goad of Blood is an attack power, not a utility power.
Any good way of regaining it?

guides
Power
my builds

Better estimate.

1) Lightning fury does 19 damage per square.
2) Staggering weapon + rushing cleats + mark of storms = slide 8
3) Use ghostly vitality, death's quickening, and ring of free time for 6 minor's
4) Shield Slam to miss...
5) 6 Brutal Barrages * 3 attack = 18

18 attacks * 19 damage * 8 squares = 2736 DPR.  (+ hits, + crits, / misses).

Actually, that's not double (2439.34, it's probably less)  I forgot the current ED let us double the slides...

Ah, sorry, I was still thinking in terms of practical instead of theory, and thus avoiding zone abuse and rule grey areas like revenant manifestations and action economy, but in your context, yah, level 30:

+39 vs AC 44 (hit=80%, ignore miss/crit since it's insignificant)

Hit: 18 (9 con 4 shocking flame 5 gauntlets of brutality)
Slide: 9 (mark of storm, staggering +6, battering shield)
Assume: extra attack via combat challenge, OA, or forceful reversal since enemy ends up marked, prone, and adjacent... this attack would do more damage on hit, but it's insignificant.

.8 * (19 attacks * (18 damage + (19 damage/square * 9 squares))) == 2872.8

But that doesn't count on the possibility of Shield Slam hitting on a 20, so that would bring it down a bit.

Not going to take over DPR King with this one since this requires a daily power, but still I think my version is quite good for not using any rules grey areas.

Any good way of regaining it?

Take Focused Rampage for your level 29 Battlemind daily.  Have the party of Warlords that like granting you MBAs (Brutal Barrages) be Legendary Generals.  Other ideas?
but still I think my version is quite good for not using any rules grey areas.

No doubt.

Plus, i'm sure lighting fury will be errated at some point.  They've been hitting plenty of other zones.

guides
Power
my builds

And this thread is REVIVED.

Ok, so a few posts back someone mentioned that the Brutal Barrage+Son of Mercy+Crippling Crush combo was 'well documented', but that means diddly to my DM.  He thinks that since the target is slowed after the first attack that I would not get the crippling crush bonus for the subsequent attacks.  What rule exactly allows for crippling crush to apply to all the attacks?

Also, I saw love for Lodestone Lure on here only for people to shoot it down.  I've got to say I think it is a great power expecially if you choose to not go the Lightning Rush route.  Lightning rush is awesome except it sucks up power points like a tawainese hooker.  It also can't be used if you are dazed or have movement hinderances.  Lodestone Lure is situational to be sure, but can be incredibly handy to grab that pesky lurker or get a brute off your controller etc.  Having what amounts to a non OA inducing ranged vs Will attack that prevents movement away for a round is pretty wicked.  I've got a BB spec'd out with Forceful Reversal, BB and Lodestone Lure and I have used it in just about everyone encounter so far.
Even if the target is already slowed the lawbreaker's doom power states explicitly "whenever you hit the target with an attack, you deal extra damage equal to your wisdom modifier and the target is slowed"  that reapplies the slow.  Crippling crush states "when you slow or immobilize an enemy with a weapon attack using a hammer or a mace, that enemy takes extra damage blah blah blah".  There is nothing in the feat that indicates this doesn't function if the mob was already slowed.

If your DM houserules that since it is already slowed it can't be reslowed then you are kind of out of luck, but following the RAW for the ability he would technically be incorrect.