Heroes of the Elemental Chaos

186 posts / 0 new
Last post
It has been added to WotC product catalog, with a few details.

www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/p...
Think you can survive a zombie attack? Click here to find out.

It Came From Section Four!
Warning: Posts my contain evil.

Orc in the House of Trolls
Thanks.

That's a nice generic PHB wizard they have there.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
I thought the sha´ir was the elemental arcane spellcaster.

Shugenja is divine spellcaster, isn´t it? I wounder if shugenja is a cleric build...now do they use armour?

"Say me what you're showing off for, and I'll say you what you lack!" (Spanish saying)

Book 13 Anaclet 23 Confucius said: "The Superior Man is in harmony but does not follow the crowd. The inferior man follows the crowd, but is not in harmony"

"In a country well governed, poverty is something to be ashamed of. In a country badly governed, wealth is something to be ashamed of." - Confucius 

I thought the sha´ir was the elemental arcane spellcaster.

Shugenja is divine spellcaster, isn´t it? I wounder if shugenja is a cleric build...now do they use armour?

We won't know what either of those are, power-source-wise, until WotC drops an excerpt or releases the book.

In previous Editions, Sha'ir were a build of wizard (and arcane), and Shugenjas were divine.  Whether or not either of these will continue to be the case is unknown outside of WotC's staff.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Monk (shugenja), Sorcerer (elementalist) and Wizard (sha'ir).
Is it me, or is Wizards using the term "subclass" less and less, and favouring "build" more? And wasn't this book called Heroes of the Astral Sea, or am I confusing it with something else?

Anyway, considering how fantastic HotF was, I'm hoping this book will be just as great. Finally feels as if they're moving the design forwards like they always promised.
Is it me, or is Wizards using the term "subclass" less and less, and favouring "build" more? And wasn't this book called Heroes of the Astral Sea, or am I confusing it with something else?

Anyway, considering how fantastic HotF was, I'm hoping this book will be just as great. Finally feels as if they're moving the design forwards like they always promised.

From the top down ...
1. I hadn't noticed, but then, I wasn't paying attention.
2. I think you're confusing it with something else.
3. Fantastic is in the eye of the beholder ...
4. Yeah ... see #3.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
"Subclass" is the term used in Heroes of the Feywild for character options with the ability to use some powers from an existing class, but with a markedly different set of basic options.

"Build" retains the definition it had in the PHBs.

This book has been called "Heroes of the Plane Below."

"Heroes of the Astral Sea" is pure conjecture.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.

3. Fantastic is in the eye of the beholder ...
4. Yeah ... see #3.

One man's hell is another man's heaven, as a wise man once said.

"Subclass" is the term used in Heroes of the Feywild for character options with the ability to use some powers from an existing class, but with a markedly different set of basic options.

"Build" retains the definition it had in the PHBs.

This book has been called "Heroes of the Plane Below."

"Heroes of the Astral Sea" is pure conjecture.

Not to sound rude, but I do know what "subclass" and "build" mean; I meant that Wizards seems to be using them interchangeably lately, using the latter more often than than the former. The second part of your post answered my question though, thanks. Smile
As far as I have heard, the shugenja is a monk subclass, the elementalist is a sorcerer subclass, and as previously stated the sha'ir is a wizard. I'm looking forward to it.
No new races right?  I thought I read that after Heroes of the Feywild came out, but then then there was that DDI article that had the new race, so I don't know.  I wish they would just give goblins PC support.
Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Constant Fear That Something's Always Near; Fear Of The Dark, Fear Of The Dark, I Have A Phobia That Someone's Always There- Iron Maiden Fear of the Dark shall be feared no longer! Let him be praised instead! (Many, many thanks for all your hard work!) - darkwarlock I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.
Check out my DnD blog! www.artificersintuition.blogspot.com
No new races right?  I thought I read that after Heroes of the Feywild came out, but then then there was that DDI article that had the new race, so I don't know.  I wish they would just give goblins PC support.

No, no new races. Hengeyokai came out before Heroes of the Feywild which is the last printed book that is slated to have new races. However that doesn't mean that the DDI won't have new races, as well as support for already published races. I heard rumour of Bladeling support.
Bladeling support isn't a rumor, it was in one of the Rule of 3 articles.
Bladeling support isn't a rumor, it was in one of the Rule of 3 articles.

Couldn't remember the source so I just said rumour. Thanks for confirming. Anyway, I am curious about themes in this one.
As far as I have heard, the shugenja is a monk subclass, the elementalist is a sorcerer subclass, and as previously stated the sha'ir is a wizard. I'm looking forward to it.

Man, if that's true...they love sub-classing wizards. Arcanist, Mage, Bladesinger, at minimum they added Witch with HotF (how "Witch" isn't related to Warlock, I can't figure...)

Still no or very little love for: Bards, Ardents, Wardens, Warlords, Psions, Battleminds, Avengers, Invokers, Seekers... I guess Swordmages and Runepriests recently got a smidgen of affection. But man. Dudes hate Avengers and Bards. Hate 'em. 

But make sure that wizard gets a new sublcass. Because when you boil it right down to it, every magic user is a wizard? I dunno.

Man, if that's true...they love sub-classing wizards. Arcanist, Mage, Bladesinger, at minimum they added Witch with HotF (how "Witch" isn't related to Warlock, I can't figure...)

Still no or very little love for: Bards, Wardens, Swordmages, Warlords,  Psions, Battleminds, Avengers, Invokers, Seekers...

But make sure that wizard gets a new sublcass. Because when you boil it right down to it, every magic user is a wizard? I dunno.

Bards got some love in the Feywild book.

The others... ah...

Well, they're Wizards of the Coast, so what are you gonna do? 
Ah. Haven't snagged Feywild yet. Thanks for clarifying.
Man, there are so many character archetypes that fit under wizard that it makes total sense that there would be a buttload of wizard subclasses. The same goes for fighter, and really any class heavily represented in fiction.
Most wizard subclasses are rather uneccessary. If you want to be X type of wizard you usually just need to pick spells that are appropriate for X. Pyromancy makes some sense strictly because you need to deal with everything having fire resist, but that could have been done through feats, as with poison.
Man, there are so many character archetypes that fit under wizard that it makes total sense that there would be a buttload of wizard subclasses. The same goes for fighter, and really any class heavily represented in fiction.

The mage and the arcanist are practically the same.

The bladesinger is just the swordmage with uh...more FR lore than the original swordmage.

The witch seems like another minor wizard varient with that seems to be more warlock/invoker themed.

Oddly enough, there isn't a buttload of fighter subclasses, heck, the current essentials ones lack builds for diff weapon types (despite how easy it'd be).

Powers tend to define the difference between members of the same class more than some fiddly class features. You play the arcanist you've pretty much played all the others (well, except bladesinger).
I was really hoping to play a Kamahl style character when this book releases. So much for that idea.
I'm pretty sure they have, but they call it a Barbarian.
Wait, no more races!?!?!?!? When did this happen. They had so much potential.
holydoom.weebly.com: Holydoom! A lighthearted RPG in progress. Loosely based on 3.5. 4, and GURPS. Very, Very, Very loosely. Seriously, visit it now. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29086701/I_HIT_IT_WITH_MA_SWORD!_(like_this!):_A_Slayers_Handbook An attempt at CharOp
To anyone who thinks Pathfinder is outselling D&D
While one report may say that FLGS report a greater amount of book sales, one cannot forget the fact that the 71000 DDI subscribers paying 6-10 dollars a month don't count as "Book Sales."
"see sig" redirects here
Oblivious troll is Oblivious
PbP supporter!
General thoughts, feelings, and info on DDN!
Stuff I Heard Mike Say (subject to change): Multiclassing will be different than in 3.5! That's important. There is no level cap; classes advance ala 3.5 epic levels after a set level. Mundane (AKA fighter and co) encounter and daily powers will probably not be in the PHB (for the lack of space), but nor will they be in some obscure book released halfway through the edition.
You can't please everyone, but you can please me. I DO NOT WANT A FREAKING 4E REPEAT. I DO NOT WANT A MODULE THAT MIMICS MY FAVORITE EDITION. I WANT MODULES THAT MIMIC A PLAYSTYLE AND CAN BE INTERCHANGED TO COMPLETELY CHANGE THE FEEL, BUT NOT THE THEME, OF D&D. A perfect example would be an espionage module, or desert survival. A BAD EXAMPLE IS HEALING SURGES. WE HAVE 4E FOR THOSE! A good example is a way to combine a mundane and self healing module, a high-survival-rate module, and a separate pool of healing resource module.
Do they need it in case, with Genasi you can be just about any time of elemental, Wind, Fire, Earth, Water, Cinder, Void, Magma, Sand, etc...
Maybe a Slaadi race, Purple Slaadi or Slaadling.
Do they need it in case, with Genasi you can be just about any time of elemental, Wind, Fire, Earth, Water, Cinder, Void, Magma, Sand, etc... Maybe a Slaadi race, Purple Slaadi or Slaadling.

Or that chaotic plane-touched from that one 3e monster manual.

Besides, Genasi do have the "elemental" thing to them, but you can still create unique races that are elemental in feel. Like, Efreeti or a race of earth elementals based on the ancient fertility idols (think Venus of Willendorf) with huge, strong females and small, subservient males. Or other similar races of "elemental mortals" that while made of an element, keep a body structure and psychology of a humanoid.
Check out my D&D-based play-by-post game, based on exploration and roleplaying. Agora
Now this looks interesting.
That Half-Orc looks AMAZING

Djinnling sounds like a theme to me, but perhaps one that gives something similar to a Familiar.
Shi'ar Wizard subclass grants its. I feel so sorry for the witch right now, because Anise and her Djinnling look awesome. Scar looks cool, especially that sweeeet axe, I so want one, for real. The Elf Galafaer looked cool too, I expect him to be the monk build. Scar I'm not sure, sorcerors don't usually use big axes, so maybe Shujengi, a cleric or paladin build?
Shi'ar Wizard subclass grants its. I feel so sorry for the witch right now, because Anise and her Djinnling look awesome. Scar looks cool, especially that sweeeet axe, I so want one, for real. The Elf Galafaer looked cool too, I expect him to be the monk build. Scar I'm not sure, sorcerors don't usually use big axes, so maybe Shujengi, a cleric or paladin build?

It screams Defender to me. A big brute that sets itself and its enemies on fire is right up my alley (that's what I play in DCUO after all). Wouldn't it be fun if it was actually a controller?
He may also represent a character using an elemental theme.

Some very, very gorgeous art there.

It does look interesting. How/where did you find it?
RS: 60/60 CS: 60/60 RotS: 60/60 U:60/60 CotF: 60/60 BH: 60/60 A&E: 51/60 TFU: 53/60 LotF: 37/60 KotOR: 37/60 CW: 26/40 IE: 31/40 JA: 17/40 G@W: 7/40 DT: 7/40 Good trades with: Lily_Wan, creme_brule, suki_jedi_apprentice, Ephant_Mon
My guess is they're a few of the new iconics for the new subclasses. It wouldn't surprise me if Scar was the elementalist sorcerer, Galafaer was the shugenja monk, and Anise is an obvious sha'ir wizard.
If scar IS an elementalist, I hope it's not just a sorcerer variant of the bladesinger.
If scar IS an elementalist, I hope it's not just a sorcerer variant of the bladesinger.

Seconded. Though I won't be all that disappointed if it is similar since the bladesinger idea would be a much better fit for a striker anyway.
I mostly just don't want to see it forced to use sorcerer encounter powers as dailies and such. Maybe instead allow them to make melee attacks with ranged powers.
I mostly just don't want to see it forced to use sorcerer encounter powers as dailies and such. Maybe instead allow them to make melee attacks with ranged powers.

A mechanic letting you use a ranged power at melee with a weapon using it's die instead of the die type specified in the power perhaps? 

It does look interesting. How/where did you find it?

It's from Tyler Jacobson's blog. His art is superb and I randomly visit his site, plus some other artists' sites for pictures for D&D campaigns. I just lucked upon his site the same day (Dec. 2) he uploaded artwork from HotF and HotEC.

A mechanic letting you use a ranged power at melee with a weapon using it's die instead of the die type specified in the power perhaps? 

Eh. It would have to be new powers only, or it would otherwise be extremely complex. I could see [w] replacing the sorcerer damage bonus maybe.
I've always loved shugenja and I'm super excited to see them come to 4th ed.
I hope these new builds are like the HoF ones where they give up old features for new ones. Making them feel much more like a new class than a new build.

I'd like to see a shugenja who leans heavily toward a different role based on which element they chose. water = leader, fire = striker, air = controller and earth = defender (even if only slightly, not having a full fledged defender aura but powers that allow it to mark an enemy) and choosing one element restricts you from it's opposite.

As for all this angst over more wizard stuff. To me the witch seems like an easier to pick up for beginners version of the wizard. She lacks a spell book so doesnt need to pick two of every spell which can be hard for newbies to grasp. I dunno how many times I've had to tell players at encounters they can't use both. So ya less complexity but still with some versatility.
I've said this before I'll say it again, the wizard is the archetypal spellcaster. Many new players are attracted to spellcasters, they think melee classes are dull. The wizard is often the first class they consider. Now a new player can begin with a witch and graduate to mage or arcanist when the time is right and because all of those classes are wizards there will be plenty of options to expand upon no matter which build they choose. If any one class had to be overloaded with options it should be the wizard. It has always been that way in previous editions and I don't know why people are so upset to see this trend continue. The wizard couldn't be more iconic even if the game was called dungeons and wizards.

Based on the trio of adventures picture from above, unless the djinnling is a feature from a theme, I'd say that the sha-ir gets a free familiar. Hope it doesn't turn out too much like the witch though.
People get upset about wizards getting so much material because they found 4E's reduction in the importance of wizards liberating and refreshing. Wizards are cool and all, but for some people, they're old news. This is part of why shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender get so much interest around here; they're using magic, but in a very novel, fascinating way that brings in dynamic new possibilities, many of them very physical.

Even modern "wizard" characters often end up using physical attacks at some point. Harry Potter and Harry Dresden both get their sword on, and Dresden also uses guns.
I'm betting it will be more like the quasit, only less psycotic.