[Sixty Singleton] - UBR

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
Because there's no harm in making this thread, right? Right?

It may not get finished but some alright cards should come out of it and it'll get people to look at them.

I can be really stubborn, but in this thread I intend to make a conscious effort to seriously consider constructive criticism.

I really love grixis control. It's so diabolical, spiteful, and just utterly cruel. As O'Brien says in George Orwell's 1984, "at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless."

Here's a card

Cold Calculation
Instant (rare)
Look at the top 13 cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and exile the rest.

Unholy Augury
Instant (rare)
Look at the top nine cards of your library. Put one of them into your hand and exile the rest.
The knowledge they sought was forbidden, as was the means they used to divinine it.

Render:
Textless:

Impulse on crack. Almost certainly too good. Come at me bro

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Decklist

Accolades to 13th_Horseman both for having a great idea and for not having a problem with everyone stealing the **** out of it.
But but but, that's not a wedge.
I guess I could do UBG. But it just doesn't have that place in my heart grixis has.

I'LL DO BOTH 
Bugger?
whoa... that would be... whoa.

You can't change the name of a thread can you? Blast. 
Sounds whoa.
A. I dont remember a rule saying these had to be enemy wedges.
B. I think someone already has edge wedge covered.
C. You know its looking at too many cards already. How about 7?
Well I was kind of hoping if it looked at a large enough amount of cards it would mitigate some of its effectiveness, especially for combo decks. Exiling pieces, you know? (not that this is going to be a combo deck. At all. I guess I had assumed it was obvious that cards in these decks should be designed to be balanced within the entirety of magic, not just in the context of their decks.)

But yeah if that's not really a reason at all then yeah. Seven cards sounds reasonable but I want more. MORE
Technically, exiling all the other cards balances how many you get to see, in a vaccum, but we're probably looking for just 1 card, so not really.
With that reasoning, say to yourself, I only get to see 7 cards, but I only have to exile 6!
Imagine running 4 of these in Standard. Casting it at the end of opponents 2nd turn, you've already drawn 9 cards, there are 51 left in your library, you'd be seeing over 1/4 of the rest, probably finding another one and exiling the other 12 cards. Draw for turn, we're down to 37 cards, and about to dig through the top 1/3 of our library.
This could possibly get banned in Legacy cuz of how good it would be in ANT.
Wait what? Are you saying you would use it to find another copy of itself? At that point you might as well use diabolic tutor.
Seething Animosity
Instant (uncommon)
Seething Animosity deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Replicate—, Pay 3 life.

Render:

Probably also too good. I suspect there's going to be a lot of "too good" going on in these singleton deck threads.
ok, honestly it reminds me of Demonic Consultation, which is nuts. Its banned in Legacy, and restricted in Vintage, and I already made the point about this card's possibilities. When casting it, you're most likely looking for 1 card, that you built around, not just "something good." In my first example, obviously if you find the card you need, you put that in your hand, but I was pointing out that running 4 of these in Standard would be bonkers library manipulation. And compaired to Consultation, you dont even have to name the card you want when you cast it, even though you probably always know what you want anyway.

In a current Standard, 4 Cold Calculation + Laboratory Maniac.  Think about that.
Seething Animosity
Instant (uncommon)
Seething Animosity deals 3 damage to target creature or player.
Replicate—, Pay 3 life.

Probably also too good. I suspect there's going to be a lot of "too good" going on in these singleton deck threads. 

I like this, but my first guess is that WOTC would make it deal 2 damage or cost 3.
I think the life on Replicate keeps it in check. In order to kill your opponent, you need 14 mana and 18 life, at which point you're screwed if they have a response.
Ah, consultation gives me ideas for stuff that has to do with card names, but it would be spectacularly useless in singleton

Anyway, Calculation is nowhere near as strong as demonic consultation, and laboratory maniac just sucks. Those were both lulzy things to bring up. But don't worry, I know it's still too good.

I want Calculation (all names are open to suggestion btw) to still feel obnoxiously powerful though. I guess seven cards is still really good compared to intuition or forbidden alchemy or what have you.
Maniac does not suck! I won a Commander game with it Friday night.
I like the name. I think 7 would still be a really good card and balanced.
9 it is then!

:D
That would probably work, 7 just has a feeling to it, flavor, resonance. Draw 7. Opening hand. Usual max hand size. Lucky 7, craps.
Yeah, I went for 9 because it feels weird. But you don't think nine is still kind of insanely good?
9 is probably ok mechaninally. I just go back to what I've read about design and do what your players expect, do what feels right. 7 feels good. 9 isnt necessarily too many cards, but it doesn't mean anything. 13 is actually a good number too but it would have to cost more. There's even 7 card types, haha. But if you want 9, sure.
You need a new magpie/hippie type dude.

Creature - Zombie Rogue
Haste
When ~ deals combat damage to a player, you draw a card and that player discards a card.
2/2
I kid you not, I was strongly considering adding an element of specter tribal to this deck.

Yes, specter tribal. 
ha ha, broken. thats sweet.
Just brainstorming specters. Not sure what their tribal or mechanical identity would end up like exactly.

If this is just painfully stupid I have no qualms shelving specter tribal.

Show

Pernicious Specter
Creature - Specter (uncommon)
Flying
Whenever Pernicious Specter deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card. If that player can’t, he or she sacrifices an artifact. If that player can’t, he or she sacrifices a land.
2/1

Butcher Specter
Creature - Specter (rare)
Flying
Specter creatures you control have double strike.
Whenever Butcher Specter deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
2/3

Neurotoxic Specter
Flying
Whenever Neurotoxic Specter deals combat damage to a player, name a card. For the rest of the game, that player can’t activate abilities of cards with the chosen name unless they’re mana abilities. (This effect lasts indefinitely, even if Neurotoxic Specter leaves the battlefield.)
1/1

Delirium Specter
Flying
Specter creatures you control have shroud.
Whenever Delirium Specter deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
, Return a permanent you control to its owner’s hand: All Specters lose shroud until end of turn. Any player may activate this ability but only any time he or she could cast a sorcery.
1/1

Covetous Specter
Flying
Specter creatures you control have haste as long as an opponent has a card in hand.
Whenever Covetous Specter deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.
2/2

Psychotic Specter
Flying 
Specter creatures attack each turn if able.
Whenever Psychotic Specter deals combat damage to a player, until end of turn, whenever you cast a specter creature spell, it gains bloodthirst 2.
3/1

Slithering Specter
Creature - Specter (common)
Whenever Slithering Specter deals combat damage to a player, you may pay . If you do, that player discards a card.
1/1

Frostbitten Specter
Creature - Specter (mythic)
Flying
Whenever Frostbitten Specter deals combat damage to a player, the next time that player would draw a card, he or she skips that draw instead.
3/4 

Whose Wings Eclipse Hope
Legendary Creature - Specter (mythic)
Flying
Whenever Whose Wings Eclipse Hope deals combat damage to a player, you may pay . If you spend this way, return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand. If you spend this way, destroy target land.
3/2
I think Pernicious would be just as good a little simpler, just make it "combat damage, that discards a card or sacs an artifact or land"
Not sure if Neurotoxic is really black, besides being a specter.
These are pretty good.
Accolades to 13th_Horseman both for having a great idea and for not having a problem with everyone stealing the **** out of it.

Hey, it was mine, that I derived off from Mono's community make a commander deck threads, which was like years ago.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

Did you act on the idea?

Cruel Deprecation
Sorcery (uncommon)
Target opponent sacrifices a permanent, discards a card, then loses 2 life. You draw a card, then put a creature card in your graveyard on top of your library, then gain 2 life.

Nightmare Hellscape
Land (common)
Nightmare Hellscape enters the battlefield tapped.
When Nightmare Hellscape enters the battlefield, return a land you control to its owner's hand.
, : Add to your mana pool.

Render:

edit: oh yeah, opinions on the specter thing, please!
this one's a split card:

Beckoned by Dreams
Instant (uncommon)
Return target permanent to its owner's hand.
//
Devoured by Nightmares
Sorcery (uncommon)
Target player reveals his or her hand and you choose a card from it. That player discards that card.
Flashback

Render:

Bathe in Blood :Xm:
Sorcery (uncommon)
Bathe in Blood deals X damage divided as you choose among any number of target creatures and/or players. Draw a card for each creature or planeswalker dealt damage this way that's put into a graveyard.

Dunno how to word Bathe in Blood.

Also when I get around to renders I am considering using death metal album art for everything :D

Edit: ^ that is what's up.
Split card is awesome, I think ill "borrow" the flashback idea.
Glad you like it, I was definitely planning on including more.
It's the same template as Sengir Vampire:

Whenever a creature dealt damage by Bathe in Blood this turn dies, you may draw a card.

Take away 'You may' if you want the draw to be forced, and take away 'This turn' if you want to have memory issues tracking the permanents that were dealt damage ;D

EDIT:
Oh, it has to include PW's huh?

Whenever a creature or planeswalker dealt damage by Bathe in Blood this turn is put into the graveyard, you may draw a card.

Ta-da

Eldritch Mnemonic
Creature - Skeleton (rare)
Imprint—When Eldritch Mnemonic enters the battlefield, exile an instant or sorcery card in your graveyard.
Whenever Eldritch Mnemonic attacks, you may copy the imprinted card and cast the copy without paying its mana cost.
When Eldritch Mnemonic leaves the battlefield, return the imprinted card to its owner’s hand.
3/1

Render:

Academic Addiction
Sorcery (rare)
Draw a card.
At the beginning of your upkeep, return Academic Addiction from your graveyard to your hand. If you do, you lose 1 life. 

Misery Nexus
Enchantment (rare)
Whenever a card is put into a graveyard from anywhere, you gain 1 life.
The knowledge that life is synonymous with pain is not enough to be free of that pain. To escape suffering, one must accept that there is no escape from suffering.

Render: 

why is it blue? why is it not white? the world may never know 
check out all the sweet album art card renders.

Bloodsoaked Talisman
Artifact (uncommon)
, Pay 1 life: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool. Put a charge counter on Bloodsoaked Talisman.
, : Target player loses life equal to the number of charge counters on Bloodsoaked Talisman.

Render: Old frame is badass
No making cards blue for no reason. :I
do you think that one could get away with being mono black?
Yes, but only if you comment on the boring commons of my thread.
I guess now it's more logical, but I just don't like it. :[
You could make it b/r and deal 1 damage instead.
here's some edicts

Behold the Primordium
Instant (common)
Target player sacrifices a creature at random.
While few understand the walkers’ ability to navigate the Blind Eternities, even less is known about what befalls those who lose their way there.

Render:

Does the wording work?

Voidbound Gale
Instant (common)
Each opponent returns a creature he or she controls to its owner’s hand.
Buyback

Render:

Maddening Hunger
Sorcery (rare)
Target player sacrifices a creature. If that player can't, he or she discards his or her hand.

Maddening Hunger needs flavor text!
Violate
Sorcery (rare)
Kicker
Target player reveals his or her hand. Choose a creature card from it. If was spent to kick Violate, choose another enchantment, instant, or sorcery card from that player's hand. If was spent to kick Violate, choose another artifact, land, or planeswalker card from that player's hand. That player discards the chosen cards.

Render:

Textless (lol)  
Target player randomly chooses a creature he or she controls. That player sacrifices that creature.

I think you could word it:

Choose a creature at random target player controls.  That player sacrifices that creature.

No need to have them choose the creature themself, since the card is already using 'Choose' and not 'Target' so you don't need to avoid Hexproof or anything, just takes off 'He or she' looks like, but it's progress.

As for the 'Sacrifice a creature at random.' Let's see;  You can only sacrifice a creature you control (So no accidental sac'ing someone elses), the game understands 'At random'

I don't see why it wouldn't work.  I've only ever seen it used in conjunction with 'Discard' but, I see no reason it would confuse or cause undue strees to the game.