What is in the "charge kit"?

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently ordered a charge kit, and it came in the mail today. The add said it was adaptable for nearly any class ("even producing an excellent assassin!" though no promises were made about the seeker or the vampire) and was a simple-to-use strategy.

But it looked like it had been tampered with, and the itemized list of ingredients is illegible. I see something about a Gouge, some fighter feats (but which ones?), a horned helm, but no instructions.

Can anybody help me out and exlplain what this kit is, what it ought to have in it, and how to make all the parts work together?

Last time I let my DM order me an optimization package.
Gouge (probably Vanguard)
Surprising Charge
Impaling Spear
Horned Helm
Spear Expertise
Two-Handed Weapon Expertise
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Good MBA
Badge of the Berserker
Horned Helm
Vanguard Weapon / Avalanche Hammer
Boots of Adept Charging (optional, depending on build)
Surprising Charge (hence the Gouge)
Spear Expertise (also due to Gouge)
Impaling Spear (...yeah)
Deft Blade (for thieves and fey hexblades)
Nimble Blade (same)
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
If you are small you can ride an owl bear from the new theme to gain +2 damage and gain mounted charing. But you have to be a small creature. Or you can take pack outcast to always have CA, Iron Wolf Warrior has lots of no action encounters that can be used on a charge as well.

Badge of Berserker negates all OAs whil charging
Horned helm gives 1d6 damage on charge
Vanguard gives 1d8 damage on charge
Boots of Adept charging gives a free shift after a charge to set up the next charge
Gouge gives best weapon in game
Surprising charge gives extra 1[W] when you charge with spear/light blade
Impaling Spear lets you target Relflex when you charge at paragon
Need to be a fighter or a rogue to use surprising charge. Which is why you take the fighter multiclass Battle Awareness, gives a 1/enc MBA. 
What about KAM? Does that still work with the Gouge?
If you are small you can ride an owl bear from the new theme to gain +2 damage and gain mounted charing.

And if you're small and mounted, you might want a lance, which works with all the spear support of the gouge.
Boots of the Mighty Charge - +2 item bonus to speed when charging & a daily that lets you use any at-will or encounter melee or close weapon attack power at the end of a charge. *charging Rain of Blows*
Beware! Certain items of the kit wont work, if you are mounted. Including, but not limited to:

Badge of Berserker - you provoke no OAs, but your mount does, and if it can be hit, they can choose to hit you. Some mounts have a property that can do this though
Boots of the Mighty Charge - your speed is increased, not the mounts
Boots of Adept Charging - grants you a shift, not the mount
That brings up a good point... what is the basic mounted charge kit, versus the basic 'standard' charge kit, and also what would be in the basic KAM kit?
That brings up a good point... what is the basic mounted charge kit, versus the basic 'standard' charge kit, and also what would be in the basic KAM kit?

And the MBA kit? (Berserkers, Knights, Melee Skalds)
RBA kit? (Seekers, Hunters, Ranged Skalds)
Hmm, I always figured mounted would be:
Lance
Mount that gives charge buffs
MBA power
Spear Expertise

Not as useful as the standard unless you use Gouge (speaking of which, has anyone run the dpr calcs on Gouge vs lance?), but you get farther for each move action.
Hmm, I always figured mounted would be:
Lance
Mount that gives charge buffs
MBA power
Spear Expertise

Not as useful as the standard unless you use Gouge (speaking of which, has anyone run the dpr calcs on Gouge vs lance?), but you get farther for each move action.

For repeat mounted charges, picking up the runepriest power "Rune of the Astral Winds" can help, an at-will move action to slide your mount and therefore yourself out to charge range so you can charge back in.
For repeat mounted charges, picking up the runepriest power "Rune of the Astral Winds" can help, an at-will move action to slide your mount and therefore yourself out to charge range so you can charge back in.

Oh, now that's just sneaky, I love it.

The Tiefling feat tail Slide can allow much the same thing.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
dpr calcs on Gouge vs lance?), but you get farther for each move action.

Gouge is 8 damage per [W], lance is 5.5. For a heroic tier medium sized PC charging with Surprising Charge the gouge nets 16 damage, and the lance 17.5. At Epic the gouge hits 24 and the lance 23. For the lance to be worth it you need the mount based features that increase DPR on a charge. 
Show

If the basic charge kit is;
- Vanguard Gouge 12.5/20.5
- Spear Expertise 1/2/3
- Surprising Charge 8
- Horned Helm 3.5/7/10.5
- Impaling Spear 
- Powerful Charge 2

Then the lance charge kit will be;
- Vanguard Lance 16.5/22
- Spear Expertise 1/2/3
- Surprising Charge 5.5
- Horned Helm 3.5/7/10.5
- Impaling Spear 
- Celestial Charger 7
- Powerful Charge 2

So, the charges by weapon;
Gouge;
Heroic- 27
Paragon- 31.5
Erpic-  45

Lance;
Heroic- 28.5 (I left out the level 10 Celestial Charger for this)
Paragon- 40
Epic- 50

So the lance is barely noticable during Heroic (although the minimum damage from [W] is half of the Gouge), but comes out ahead if you get the Celestial Charger (without it the Lance is ahead during Paragon by a couple points more than it was during Heroic, but falls short during Epic). Though, and it must be mentioned, the Gouge user could also be riding the Celestial Charger (which would make it pull ahead only during Epic).

Further support;
Gouge;
- The Slayers and Half-Orcs will notice the higher [W] when using their encounter powers.
- Much better for non-charging powers
- Can benefit from Power Attack (which becomes worth while if you have Risky Charge and a very high to-hit).
- Can benefit from Headsman's Chop (which is only useful if you are going to be multiattacking some how, or have the right party)
- Much better crits

Lance;
- Small support. Halflings can get +1 damage per tier (Scrappy), and a good defense boost (Small Warrior's Defense).
- Sunspray Heritage. +1 to hit is +1 to hit.
- Two-Handed Grasp. To be fair, the Gouge can also spend a feat for hi-crit, but I have to mention it.
- If CA is a problem, the Small Lance wielder has easier access to permanent CA (via the Feyborn Animal Tamer). Although the Gouge wielder can have permanent CA if they also have Beast Growth.

TLDR; The Lance does a bit more charge damage, and then gets noticably better during Paragon and Epic, using the same feats and equipment (those happen to be the best feats and equipment for both situations). The Lance also can get more At-Will charge damage, but once you start making attacks that are not charges the Gouge really pulls ahead.

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

In paragon you can pick up an Unbroken Lance (AV2) that lets you knock a target prone when you charge while mounted. Spears only, but that means it works for lances and gouges. Barbarians have to wait until epic to knock prone on a charge with Overpowering Charge (PP).
Depends on who you are...

PoSkill Avengers can prone on a charge in heroic via Polearm Momentum and a +1 to slides effect.  Druids and Warlocks can too in the same way, though druids require Alfsair Spear to do it. 

And, of course, anyone who's a Half-elf can do it by Paragon.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Don't forget Bestial Armor for the daily free MBA post charge with +2 power bonus.
The lance also has the advantage of being a military weapon and thus saves you an extra feat over the gouge.

A little bit of number crunching (at mid paragon):

On foot gouge Gouge: 2d6[w]+2d6[surprisingcharge]+1d8[vanguard]+2d6[horned helm]+1d6[thunder god spiked gauntlets] = 1d8+7d6+statics = 29+static

Mounted lance: 1d10[w]+1d10[lance]+1d10[surprisingcharge]+1d8[vanguard]+2d6[horned helm]+1d6[thunder god spiked gauntlets]+2d6[celestial charger] = 3d10+1d8+5d6+statics = 34.5+static

Not the fairest of comparisons but there are some numbers.
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
Thank you kindly. Also take to account that the lance is one handed, so you can have something like a tusk shield in the other hand (+2 item bonus to all defs when you charge).
Back to Basics - A Guide to Basic Attacks You might be playing DnD wrong if... "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
If you're going for DPR, the Lance is Versatile (however the heck that's supposed to work...) and you therefore want to wield it 2-handed for the +1 damage.

Is there such a thing as a "shift kit"?
Implement Prof: Staff. Staff of the Traveller. Teleport boosters. Basically the "Shift Kit."

No damage bonus at the end of a shift?
Beware! Certain items of the kit wont work, if you are mounted. Including, but not limited to:

Badge of Berserker - you provoke no OAs, but your mount does, and if it can be hit, they can choose to hit you. Some mounts have a property that can do this though

Is there any official ruling about that or is that just the charop boards consensus

Is there any official ruling about that or is that just the charop boards consensus

Those are the actual rules... your mount is not you.
and you're making a charge action not your mount
You're.

fortunately, that's one of the few things that the writers took into consideration when making the rules. The rules for mounts in the Rules Compendium specify that "When the rider charges, the rider and mount move up to the mount's speed and then the rider makes the charge attack."
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
can we also add a paragon path in the charge kit for barbarians ?  The PP Blood-Crazed Berserker which requires fighter and an evil alignment (lol) is absolutely made for charge kits.  It's eyebrow raising awesomeness !
"Non nobis Domine Sed nomini tuo da gloriam" "I wish for death not because I want to die, but because I seek the war eternal"

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Nice choice Noc definately a great addition to the kit for non-wf chargers

Too bad its as far as possible away from the personality/background of my Paladin :P

Thanks for the clarification Zathris
Sign In to post comments