MTGO Textbox

6 posts / 0 new
Last post

Any chance we can get some fixes to the textbox in MTGO? Today I was typing out something, pressed "up" and lost everything I typed. And every time you click away from the textbox and click back all the text gets selected for some reason, so if you try to continue typing, everything you previously typed gets overwritten. It's really annoying and it happens all the time.

I'm pretty sure just about everyone hates the chat dock. Given that it hasn't really improved in over 2 years you'd be better of just waiting for the next version of MTGO.
Pressing up and getting prior messages is actually a handy feature imo. Its also moderatly common in chat rooms from what i have seen.

As for the other... agreed *shrugs*
Owner of TheCardNexus chain on mtgo.
I'm pretty sure just about everyone hates the chat dock. Given that it hasn't really improved in over 2 years you'd be better of just waiting for the next version of MTGO.

I actually got an e-mail inviting me to the beta right after posting this. LOL. Unfortunately I haven't had much time to test it out yet.

Pressing up and getting prior messages is actually a handy feature imo. Its also moderatly common in chat rooms from what i have seen.

As for the other... agreed *shrugs*

I'm not complaining about this feature, however pressing down should get you back your original text.

How did the current client ever get released in this state... Doesn’t Microsoft provide readymade textboxes for Windows programs to use?

How did the current client ever get released in this state... Doesn’t Microsoft provide readymade textboxes for Windows programs to use?

When V3 (the current client) was released in 2008 the critical issue was getting a stable sever that didn't lag and randomly crash 5 times a day, with some of the crashes turning into multi-day unannounced downtimes. That was accomplished, but somehow putting focus on the server neglected the GUI development that left us with the home-spun monstrosity we now have. There are many things on my personal wish list for the new client, but usable scroll bars are at the top.
There was a fad in the early part of the 00's to re-skin controls in UI's, or to even completely re-implement them with your own. The monstrosity of a UI that we have now was originally pitched as a full walk-through 3D interface, and the various UI elements that we have now (window borders, scroll bars, buttons etc) were probably implemented in some sort of 3D graphics library in order to satisfy this goal. Luckily, much of this absurdity was reigned in, but we are left with the legacy of an underlying UI framework that is unsuitable for work that any self-respecting graphics designer would be happy with.

My own hypothesis about the general crumminess of the UI is that the programmers have very little control over the exact pixels that get drawn for each control - they must instead set up a geometrical description of the UI elements and hope that it's rendered in an acceptable way. Hence we never see elements that have clean, crisp features (such as an intentional, high-contrast 1-pixel-wide line) - they are all rendered and antialiased into oblivion.

The new client screenshots we saw a year or so ago go a long way to reassure me that the new client will avoid these problems. (As long as they weren't just mock-ups!)
Sign In to post comments