Blue-Red pingers!

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
When I saw Gelectrode for the first time, I fell in love a little.  I just think it's really cool, so I started to put a deck together around it.  A 60-card deck quickly ran out of room for the fun things I wanted to do with it, and I realized I had to go EDH on this one.

There's a couple of fun subthemes within this deck... there's an Elemental synergy with a few cards that's fun to use... there's a Shaman factor... and there's a bit of Goblin tactics going on as well!

Commander
Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind - I know that some consider this to be a 'cheap' General, because of the infinite combo-ness, but I didn't choose him for that.  In fact, I didn't even realize the Curiosity combo until I was in the middle of a game.  He's the King of Pingers, and he's the right colours... so he's the right Commander.

Pingers
Goblin Fireslinger
Nin, the Pain Artist
Razorfin Hunter
Brimstone Mage
Cunning Sparkmage
Prodigal Pyromancer
Prodigal Sorcerer
Rootwater Hunter
Vithian Stinger
Zuran Spellcaster
Thornwind Faeries
Vulshok Sorcerer
Gelectrode
Anaba Shaman
Fledgling Mawcor
Lightning Crafter
Frostwielder
Kumano, Master Yamabushi
Kamahl, Pit Fighter

Pinger-Enhancers
Basilisk Collar
Crab Umbra
Curiosity
Sigil of Sleep
Gorgon Flail
Thornbite Staff
Neko-Te
Quietus Spike
Ophidian Eye
Pemmin's Aura
Charisma

Creatures
Dragonmaster Outcast
Flamekin Harbinger
Shrieking Drake
Chandra's Spitfire
Gomazoa
War Elemental
Nova Chaser
Phyrexian Metamorph
Ingot Chewer
Urabrask the Hidden
Dominus of Fealty
Flameblast Dragon - kind of a pinger
Hammerfist Giant - also kind of a pinger
Mana-Charged Dragon
It That Betrays

Other Cards
Sol Ring
Clout of the Dominus
Recall
Swiftfoot Boots
Braingeyser
Swerve
Darksteel Ingot
Fabricate
Stitch in Time
Dissipation Field
Rite of Replication
Citanul Flute
Mulldrifter
Acquire
Bribery
Argentum Armor
Volition Reins
Decree of Silence
Scrambleverse
Decree of Annihilation
Time Stretch

Lands
Izzet Boilerworks
Volcanic Island
17 Mountains
14 Islands

IMAGE(http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg152/jdealer90/RandomAnimal.jpg)

furystoke giant makes everything a pinger for two turns
capsize
stuffy doll is an excellent Nin, the Pain Artist target
freed from the real is another untap effect
reverberate, twincast, reroute, and wild ricochet are all fun (actually, I'd consider including an isochron scepter suite in this deck

Not sure why argentum armor is in here, same for scrambleverse
Cool, I'd never seen Furystoke Giant before - cool art, too.  I need to get a Capsize or four and include it in every blue deck, really... it's insanely good.

I really like the Stuffy Doll idea - he's a pinger, just in a roundabout way!  Excellent recipient for Curiosity or Sigil of Sleep.

Freed from the Real was on my decklist since before I started making it, but I just haven't found one.  I like it as a combo piece in quite a few situations... like infinite mana of any colour with Bloom TenderIsochron Scepter is another card that I really really want, even if it makes people angry.  :D

I put Argentum Armor in because I needed some bigger, slammier things... I know it doesn't really fit, it's basically just hanging out right now.

Scrambleverse has come in very handy - this deck either works or it doesn't, and when it doesn't, I end up sitting there with very little while my opponents build up big.  Scrambleverse has helped me even the score a couple of times after my friend activates his Myojin of Seeing Winds right before he activates his Myojin of Life's Web.  It's kind of a panic button.

You might want to sneak in bazaar trader  so that you can keep creatures stolen with charisma even after it's gone.
I'd look into Jaya Ballard, Task Mage.  I can't tell you how many games her multitude of abilities has come in useful.  3 unregeneratable damage, flat out kill any blue permanent, and when the boards not looking your way, just blow her and the whole board up.  Its a great way to get use out of your late game land draws, as it turns every excess, non useful card into a lightning bolt.  Plus she's one hot puppy.

On another note, I'm happy to see Urabrask in a good deck that makes him useful.  He has my favorite art of the praetors, and his back story is really awesome.  Its a shame he's on the weaker end of the praetor scale, but I think in this deck he looks really good.
Like Freed From the Real, Pemmin's Aura will let you untap your creature, with the option of protecting your creature.
And I'd also like to introduce you to Wojek Embermage if you haven't already met.  He and Basilisk Collar are good friends.

edit:
Arm With Aether is of great use for my pinger-casual deck, it adds some nice control, but I have doubts about it's usefulness for EDH.
Also, Statecraft is a good one for a deck like this, and there's also a Blue Enchantment that reads "Whenever a creature is the target of a spell or ability, return it to it's owner's hand" that would work in a deck like this (though counter to deathtouch), but I can't remember the name of it.
Anger and Thousand-Year Elixir as well.  A deck like this needs haste.
You might want to sneak in bazaar trader  so that you can keep creatures stolen with charisma even after it's gone.

Wow... that's pretty sly!  I had to read it twice before understanding what you meant!    But I can't afford the space for a card that is only there to support another card - it would be a dead draw 90% or more of the time.

I'd look into Jaya Ballard, Task Mage.  I can't tell you how many games her multitude of abilities has come in useful.  3 unregeneratable damage, flat out kill any blue permanent, and when the boards not looking your way, just blow her and the whole board up.  Its a great way to get use out of your late game land draws, as it turns every excess, non useful card into a lightning bolt.  Plus she's one hot puppy.

I had her in, but I took her out in the early stages.  Maybe it was a mistake, maybe I was too scared by the discard costs.

On another note, I'm happy to see Urabrask in a good deck that makes him useful.  He has my favorite art of the praetors, and his back story is really awesome.  Its a shame he's on the weaker end of the praetor scale, but I think in this deck he looks really good.

I do appreciate him whenever he shows up.

Like Freed From the Real, Pemmin's Aura will let you untap your creature, with the option of protecting your creature.
And I'd also like to introduce you to Wojek Embermage if you haven't already met.  He and Basilisk Collar are good friends.

I have a Pemmin's Aura in there already... and thank you for the introduction!  He is most welcome in here, I'd take Anaba Shaman out for that in a heartbeat.

edit:
Arm With Aether is of great use for my pinger-casual deck, it adds some nice control, but I have doubts about it's usefulness for EDH.
Also, Statecraft is a good one for a deck like this, and there's also a Blue Enchantment that reads "Whenever a creature is the target of a spell or ability, return it to it's owner's hand" that would work in a deck like this (though counter to deathtouch), but I can't remember the name of it.
Anger and Thousand-Year Elixir as well.  A deck like this needs haste.

That Blue Enchantment is Dissipation Field, and you are quite right - it is a card that is not even close to being on the "this card can be replaced by something" list. 

Thousand -Year Elixir is a card that definitely belongs in this deck as well.

--- EDIT ---

Sorry I misread a card and was about to say something stupid involving Fire Servant affecting pingers! 
I always liked Talon of Pain in a pinger deck. Something to do with your mana later in the game and it basically doubles your pinger's damage.
Not Dissipation Field - that card is perfect for this deck - good inclusion - it's an attack detterant and a way to bounce your own creatures.  No, there's another Blue enchantment.  Dissipation Feild returns permanants to your hand when they deal damage to you, but the one I'm talking about bounces a creature when it's the target of a spell or ability.  Argh!  Can't think of the name for it!

edit:
Found it.

Cowardice
Not Dissipation Field - that card is perfect for this deck - good inclusion - it's an attack detterant and a way to bounce your own creatures.  No, there's another Blue enchantment.  Dissipation Feild returns permanants to your hand when they deal damage to you, but the one I'm talking about bounces a creature when it's the target of a spell or ability.  Argh!  Can't think of the name for it!

edit:
Found it.

Cowardice

OOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo.... I like it!!

I like that Talon of Pain too, I'll keep an eye out for one. 

would intruder alarm be good in a 4 player format ?

if the next player would put in play a creature all your pingers would untap, and the next player who put in play a creature.... and on and on
Decks like this make me giddy!

I went a ping route with Sygg, River Cutthroat. Then I went with the Artifact route and found a few hidden gems that are really devastating in EDH.

Copper Tablet Insane on a turn 2 play. I've had this thing kick out 20-40 points of damage in a 4 player game.

Ankh of Mishra another insane card played early. I've beaten people just because they ramped green with this card.

Black Vise and Iron Maiden can also help punish all those card drawers and their reliquary towers!

Anyways I realize these are colourless additions, and get away from the creature pokers, but I've had a lot of fun playing my "Super Poke" deck.. Often times when I play with my Sygg deck everyone might as well start at 20hp because I've dealt that much damage to everyone by the time people are going off.
According to everyone on these forums. You should only play the best decks in whatever format you want. You are a bad player and should just quit if you intend on using anything else.
Pirate Ship is a big body pinger

Shivan Gorge is fun too

<----- Loser.

Intruder Alarm would be lots of fun!

Gosh guys, you're making me nostalgic for these old cards!  I don't have a Copper Tablet, but I do have Ankh of Mishra!  And I have no Iron Maiden, but a Black Vise could be great in EDH!

And good ol' Pirate Ship  Yarrrr!

Intruder Alarm would be lots of fun!

Gosh guys, you're making me nostalgic for these old cards!  I don't have a Copper Tablet, but I do have Ankh of Mishra!  And I have no Iron Maiden, but a Black Vise could be great in EDH!

And good ol' Pirate Ship  Yarrrr!

shoping time for you...
LOL... when is it NOT shopping time for Magic cards?

LOL... when is it NOT shopping time for Magic cards?

your right about that,

and i was wondering if a splinter twin would be nice too if you use the intruder alarm if not wrong it would give you ulimited pingners

For that matter, kiki-jiki, mirror breaker would also combo with the intruder alarm to make infinite pingers
And the deck does already have a slight Goblin and Shaman theme...  Kiki-Jiki and S. Twin are both welcome... if I only owned them.  Last I checked, Splinter Twin was $8, but now... *checks* it's down to $3!  Not bad.  Kiki is $12 though, and I rarely spend that much on a card.

Sign In to post comments