11/11/11 LD: "The Modern Future"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Morbid only disincentivises blocking if either a) they have all the morbid stuff and you don't have any (more likely once morbid is moved to specific colours/decktypes) or b) All your morbid stuff is sorcery speed, so you need stuff to die on your turn, not theirs.

If we're talking about morbid instants then you have all the incentive in the world to keep your guys back to block because you want your guys and their guys to die to turn on the instants.
I like the flow in the article.
How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
If we're talking about morbid instants then you have all the incentive in the world to keep your guys back to block because you want your guys and their guys to die to turn on the instants.

Putting morbid on a lot of instants just makes everyone terrified to do anything at all, because it makes you leave your mana untapped for the opponent's turn. Heaven forbid you try to play around an opponent's morbid instants when they have creatures with first strike. You might as well just reprint Standstill. Happily, the developers foresaw this risk as well.

As for the article, the only way I can condense my feeling is that, while I don't always get Zac's jokes ("Arf"?), something about his tone makes me really want to get them. My one gripe is that all the praise for Lauer's genius doesn't result in nearly enough new tweets from the @eriklauerquotes account.

"Instead, you sat with your cards in your hand wishing they could do all the awesome things they told you they could do."

Funny, this describes exactly how I feel whenever a Morkut Banshee or Woodland Sleuth is in my hand.
Nice to read your writing again, Zac.

I actually like "Deathwatch" as a mechanic name - it makes me think of deathwatch beetles (which themselves might've been a good fit for this set).
I appreciate the history of the design, but I don't think it really ended up being that strong in green/black.  Blue got the best morbid creature outside of the rare range (murder of crows), with an ability that is always active, and red got the best morbid instant (brimstone volley).  The only really good morbid cards in green are the festerhide boar and the somberwild spider, and they are generally mid-range picks at best.  Compare, for example, the very lame hollowhenge scavenger with murder of crows.  Green/black needed more morbid abilities that could trigger at any time.
"Unfortunately, barring some crazy Deflection tricks or some weird splicing of the Spellskite ability, the awesome effect that card promises is basically never going to happen, and you're going to remain disappointed. Your opponent is just going to work around having to target that creature, and you just used a billion lines of text to (in essence) write "hexproof" on the card. I feel like these kinds of cards are lies. I hate them."

This is how I felt about phyrexian obliterator. I wish it just said unblockable
"Unfortunately, barring some crazy Deflection tricks or some weird splicing of the Spellskite ability, the awesome effect that card promises is basically never going to happen, and you're going to remain disappointed. Your opponent is just going to work around having to target that creature, and you just used a billion lines of text to (in essence) write "hexproof" on the card. I feel like these kinds of cards are lies. I hate them."

This is how I felt about phyrexian obliterator. I wish it just said unblockable

Except if you hold it back on defence, they won't want to attack with ground creatures.
And they can't easily kill it with burn spells.
And as printed, it comboes with Fights spells, or Lure, or Pariah's Shield...

It does quite a lot more than "unblockable" would.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
On a related note, think how awesome Morbid would be in M12, where everyone was trading in order to avoid letting Bloodthirst turn on.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
On a related note, think how awesome Morbid would be in M12, where everyone was trading in order to avoid letting Bloodthirst turn on.

This is why you draft INN/INN/M12/M12.