Have you finished running Dawn of Defiance?

Are you a GM who completed all ten modules of Dawn of Defiance? I run a podcast about Dawn of Defiance called Threat Detected. I would love to chat with you on a special show for GMs attempting this feat. The chat would be via Skype at your convenience. Please reply to this thread or PM me about this exciting chance to share your knowledge. You are victorious.
Garrett
The Star Wars Saga Dawn of Defiance Podcast THREAT DETECTED is here! threat-detected.com IMAGE(http://www.obsidianportal.com/images/banners/op_banner1_468x60.png)
I have completed it once before, but not on my own. We rotated GMs every third episode. I ran Episode III, VII and IX. I have also since run I and II.
Almost done! We had to cancel the game tonight because a new player had to change his game day. None of my players that started the campaign are here to see it completed! I am determind to do it all. I could use one or two players to get through the last few encounters of Episode 10. We have played this game once every two weeks and had to cancel many games because of our jobs and  families. Also, many of the players moved or dropped out due to other interest. We have been playing this campaign within the the first few months of it starting! How long has that been? Sometime after Star Wars Celebration in Los Angeles. The characters are Level 19 and will be Level 20 after one more encounter.
I have completed it once before, but not on my own. We rotated GMs every third episode. I ran Episode III, VII and IX. I have also since run I and II.

Didn't this approach ruin parts of the story for the group? Aspects of future plot elements are suggested in earlier adventures.
Well, yes, to some degree, but we are all adults about it. Besides, the story is with the characters. This is especially true of Star Wars where one is in a familiar world where you already know certain things are going to happen. It's more about thinking in character.

It worked rather well, and it also took the load off our regular GM and gave him a chance to play for once! 
Well, yes, to some degree, but we are all adults about it. Besides, the story is with the characters. This is especially true of Star Wars where one is in a familiar world where you already know certain things are going to happen. It's more about thinking in character.

It worked rather well, and it also took the load off our regular GM and gave him a chance to play for once! 

Sounds good. I may do that in my next campaign. I ran the whole thing. I have players that would be great gamemasters. 
Yeah, it can be a thankless job sometimes to be GM. Our group played a lot of Living Greyhawk at the time, and it seemed that Game Masters really got punished for running the game sometimes. DOD gave us a chance to play more openly, and eventually we stopped playing RPGA games all together and made it all a lot more free form.

The next Star Wars campaign I ran, was a Separatists campaign, I introduced elements of Fate to get the players to be more involved in the actual storytelling, which takes the load off preperation time and makes them feel more involved. Collaborative storytelling is in my experience a good solution for the 'maturing' gaming group, that is to say, those of us with wives, families and a finite amount of time. 
My Star Wars game - which is FAR beyond DoD in scope - has had rotating GM's since the beginning. I've been running all of DoD myself, but there;s plenty of non-arc games that we do inbetween DoD games where we can fit in breaks. That lets me get some playing in without the spoilers leaking. But normally it's a 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off kind of rotation.
Sign In to post comments