Help with a Legacy Era Campaign

So i recently finished reading the Legacy comics (all of them, including Legacy:War) and by vote my players decided to play in that era, even though they knew very little. The adventures are running great but then the fear of interfering with canon overtook me. I know Darkhorse concluded the Legacy Era and stated they wont be doing anything else set in that era, but i am not sure what type of plot to use for my campaign that would give me enough freedom to mess with things here and there without messing up future canon content (my players hate to do so as well).

So i started browsing starwars.wikia.com and found this: starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Time_travel
The moment i saw this i thought "YES, i can send them to the clone wars... wait they would know too much, i could send them back to the dark times and either do a force unleashed campaign or use the dawn of defiance modules." but my mind didn't settle for either... so i ask you forum, what would you advise me to do?

P.S. my players wouldn't like the idea of starting over much.
Rogues do it from behind. Points of Light Blog
An idea for a late Legacy Era campaign I`ve always played around with in in my head as a GM before my group disbanded was the concept of the million credit reward the One Sith is offering for anyone who penetrates Bastion`s defenses. It is left very open ended on how the players do this, and thus gives you alot of room to work with. The main enemies in this type of campaign would likely be Fel`s Empire-In Exile, but besides that, you have a clean slate. Hope this helps! ^__^

I am Red/White
I am Red/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Don't be a slave to cannon.

Just because something happens in canon that does NOT mean it needs to happen in your games.  This can be true of things you see in the movies and as you move away from them becomes even easier to do.

I also would say that "canon" may be presented from a certain point of view but exactly how events unfold could be different.  Maybe one of the PCs blows up the Death Star; that may violate canon but the story line can continue without much difference.

I understand your canon dilemna, as I and most of my playes are loathe to interfere with it as well. This is why my buddy's Clone Wars campaign never got off the ground; he couldn't get a clear picture of what was happening when during the wars

There are lots of options, and it really depends on what your group looks like. What about the Unknown Regions? Stuff that happens out there is, most of time, off of the galactic "radar." Maybe they will have to deal with a threat like Mnggal-Mnggal (UR 137) or the Ebruchi (127). Or they could be the only witnesses to a vile plot to invade the galaxy using some unheard-of technology or Force technique. Or have them hang out on a Wizards-created locale in the known galaxy: Point Nadir and Nyriaan can be good options. Or how about Ord Vaxal (from RCR - there's an article about it in Polyhedron IIRC)? Or perhaps on the moons of Iego. There's lots of "out-of-the-way" places you can send them to where they won't interfere with canon but can also make an "impact" in the galaxy.

Of course, we could probably both stand to take a page from StevenO's book. Your game is a world of your creation. If you can find ways to creatively explain around existing canon, who even cares about future canon? Authors and script writers retcon stuff all the time! You'd be perpetuating an established tradition  
I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast. Winner of You Build the Character #27 - Cad Bane
An idea for a late Legacy Era campaign I`ve always played around with in in my head as a GM before my group disbanded was the concept of the million credit reward the One Sith is offering for anyone who penetrates Bastion`s defenses. It is left very open ended on how the players do this, and thus gives you alot of room to work with. The main enemies in this type of campaign would likely be Fel`s Empire-In Exile, but besides that, you have a clean slate. Hope this helps! ^__^

In the Legacy Era Campaign Setting book, the legacy comics are still unfinished, the comics ended earlier this year. Spoiler: (The galaxy is ruled by a triumvirate between the rebel remnants, the fel empire and the jediruled by the empress Spoiler: since the emperor turned to the darkside and was killed by his own imperial knights)... things are bit complicated now :P

Just because something happens in canon that does NOT mean it needs to happen in your games.  This can be true of things you see in the movies and as you move away from them becomes even easier to do.

I also would say that "canon" may be presented from a certain point of view but exactly how events unfold could be different.  Maybe one of the PCs blows up the Death Star; that may violate canon but the story line can continue without much difference.

Thats easy to avoid when you play during a time that has already been written, but our campaign is 20 years or so after the comics (my players chose that era and time but honestly, i dont think they knew what they were getting into) and that makes it harder to meld things without messing with canon

I understand your canon dilemna, as I and most of my playes are loathe to interfere with it as well. This is why my buddy's Clone Wars campaign never got off the ground; he couldn't get a clear picture of what was happening when during the wars

There are lots of options, and it really depends on what your group looks like. What about the Unknown Regions? Stuff that happens out there is, most of time, off of the galactic "radar." Maybe they will have to deal with a threat like Mnggal-Mnggal (UR 137) or the Ebruchi (127). Or they could be the only witnesses to a vile plot to invade the galaxy using some unheard-of technology or Force technique. Or have them hang out on a Wizards-created locale in the known galaxy: Point Nadir and Nyriaan can be good options. Or how about Ord Vaxal (from RCR - there's an article about it in Polyhedron IIRC)? Or perhaps on the moons of Iego. There's lots of "out-of-the-way" places you can send them to where they won't interfere with canon but can also make an "impact" in the galaxy.

Of course, we could probably both stand to take a page from StevenO's book. Your game is a world of your creation. If you can find ways to creatively explain around existing canon, who even cares about future canon? Authors and script writers retcon stuff all the time! You'd be perpetuating an established tradition  

Your advice is great, ill have to talk with my players and see if they are ok with playing in the unknown regions. Some of them have only seen the movies and had read, seen or heard of the rest of the eras vaguely, but il lsee what i can do.
Iego is mentioned by Anakin Skywalker in Episode I (where he's talking about Angels). Jsyk. There's a section on Iego for the Revised D20 edition...I think it's in Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds. If that helps at all. 
I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast. Winner of You Build the Character #27 - Cad Bane
If you are going to use time travel you can put them in any era you or the players like. Otherwise just run the game a few hundred years after the legacy era. But personally I would not worry about cannon.
I wouldn't really worry about canon.  One: it's your game and whatever you and your players say goes.  Your own personal canon if you will.  Second: I sadly don't think that any more stories will come in the Legacy comics timeline for a while.  The comic series was sadly cancelled and the creative team has gone back to the beginning.  Literally: their next series takes place around 20 millenia in the past.

i'm running a legacy era campaign, and mainly using canon as a base time line, so i know what major events are transpiring around the pc's. i'm not overly concerned with whether or not my pc's have an impact which could mess stuff, (ie: the attack on the temple of Ossus, my jedi pc's were protecting Padawans, while my tech pc was jamming sith communications and making their life as difficult as possible, and the piolts were, u know, piloting, the sith didnt have it as easy as they did in the canon edition, but they still won)

good idea if the players dont know much about the era
lol
I agree with the over all concensus here. Don't be a slave to canon, be it's master.

You are the GM ... the game master. The group I GM jokingly call it "God & Master". Use the canon to your advantage. You don't have to place your players right into the thick of things with skywalker and the others. There are other things going on.

For example, you don't have to have everyone flying down the death star trench to blow it up. Not everyone in the Rebel alliance was on Yavin. The leadership was, yes, but not all the troops. While the Empire is destracted by the Battle of yavin, have your heroes on a mission to infiltrate a high security imperial base to steal information on fleet deployments.

In terms of the Legacy Era, there are a lot of sith now. Not everything has to be directly tied to Darth krayt or to Emperor Fel. It could be one of Darth Krayt's lieutenants trying to gain more power that the players are always confronting, and someone you come up with. Instead of Emperor Fel, it can be a Captain in the military, or an Imperial knight trying to usurpe control from the Emperor in exhile.

The idea being to take the players away from the main story, and write your own. The main stories we all read and love are still there. There is no rule in the books that says you have to be a part of them.

quvmoh
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.