Inherent Bonus

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, all.

Is there such a thing as an Inherent Bonus? A player in a campaign that we're kicking-off this Friday, asked if we allow those. And, to my shame, I don't even know what those are.

I searched the Rules Compendium but found nothing. Is there an existing thread or article detailing this Inherent Bonus action?

Thanks in advance, and happy gaming.

-------- Don (Greyson) --------

Non-smoker, White, Non-golfer, U.S.-American

It's an optional system detailed first in the DMG2, and later in the Dark Sun book.  Basically, the PCs get automatic enhancement bonuses to attack rolls, damage rolls, and defenses as they level, making magic items less necessary and usually used in games where magic items aren't as prevalent.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Thanks, guys. This is helpful. I've got both of those resources and will do some homework on this.

Thanks, again.

It's worth noting that the Dark Sun version is an update and improvement over the DMG2 one.  You should use the Dark Sun rules, as they are both more recent and better.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
It's worth noting that the Dark Sun version is an update and improvement over the DMG2 one.  You should use the Dark Sun rules, as they are both more recent and better.

My understanding: the big difference is that in the Dark Sun version, the inherent bonus *completely* replaces the item's enhancement bonus (if higher). So stuff in the item that talks about "this item's enhancement bonus" also uses the inherent bonus. Whereas the original version in DMG2 only used the inherent bonus on attack rolls and normal damage.

"The world does not work the way you have been taught it does. We are not real as such; we exist within The Story. Unfortunately for you, you have inherited a condition from your mother known as Primary Protagonist Syndrome, which means The Story is interested in you. It will find you, and if you are not ready for the narrative strands it will throw at you..." - from Footloose
I'm quite certain that's not the case, but my books aren't with me at the moment.

DSCS added in the critical damage of d6 per plus and I think slightly tweaked the levels at which the bonuses are added.  I'm pretty sure that if you want a magic item to use its enhancement bonus somehow, it uses its actual enhancement bonus.  Inherent bonuses apply an enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls, nothing more.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
potentially pretty handy for Lair Assault 2: The TPK-ening.  At level 9, you could get a +2 weapon for the price of a +1 and spend those 7/8/9 picks on other slots.*  

*prices subject to state and local laws.  may be slightly higher in Hawaii and Alaska.  assumes a +1 version of a given item exists.  offer not valid in Tennessee.  Details available at your local dealer.  Author has not seen the adventure, and it's entirely possibly he's talking out his... posterior.  Your mileage may vary.

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

DSCS added in the critical damage of d6 per plus and I think slightly tweaked the levels at which the bonuses are added.  I'm pretty sure that if you want a magic item to use its enhancement bonus somehow, it uses its actual enhancement bonus.  Inherent bonuses apply an enhancement bonus to attack and damage rolls, nothing more.

Yep, Mand12 has this right. According to the Dark Sun Campaign Setting, it's an either/or situation. You can use an amulet's, armor's or weapons native enhancement bonus, or you can use the flat bonus from the fixed enhancement. If I understand correctly, for example, your 9th-level character that is wielding a +1 weapon applies that bonus to attacks and damage. He or she would have to sheath the +1 weapon and use a non-magical weapon to get the fixed enhancement bonus's +2 (at that level) to attacks and damage.

Side note: I went looking for "inherent bonus" in the DMG2 and DSCS and looked for about twenty minutes. Almost gave-up, then saw the fixed enhancement bonus as an alternative reward system in the Rewards section at the end of the DSCS while literally flippng through it page-by-page. I developed an over-reliance on the online Rules Comepndium. Which reminds me - I gotta resubscribe!

Yep, Mand12 has this right. According to the Dark Sun Campaign Setting, it's an either/or situation. You can use an amulet's, armor's or weapons native enhancement bonus, or you can use the flat bonus from the fixed enhancement. If I understand correctly, for example, your 9th-level character that is wielding a +1 weapon applies that bonus to attacks and damage. He or she would have to sheath the +1 weapon and use a non-magical weapon to get the fixed enhancement bonus's +2 (at that level) to attacks and damage.

Side note: I went looking for "inherent bonus" in the DMG2 and DSCS and looked for about twenty minutes. Almost gave-up, then saw the fixed enhancement bonus as an alternative reward system in the Rewards section at the end of the DSCS while literally flippng through it page-by-page. I developed an over-reliance on the online Rules Comepndium. Which reminds me - I gotta resubscribe!

No, you can still use magic items, you just have to choose whether or not you're using it. Either it functions as a magic item, or it functions as a normal item and you are inherently better with it.

Generally, it depends on what the bonus is vs what your inherent bonuses are, as well as the properties and powers of the item in question. Some are worth a -1 to a defense or attack roll. 

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Thanks for clarifying, Cohen95. This is exactly the kinda education I need on this. I would have screwed this up, as I did in my example.