Mono Black Infect

170 posts / 0 new
Last post

Mono Black Infect

What is Mono Black Infect?
Mono Black Infect (hereafter referred to as MBI to save my fingers) is an archetype that has shown up starting with States with a notable presence, achieving more than 10 Top 8s and ~3 outright wins.

The archetype has a single minded focus on winning via dealing 10 poison counters to your opponent and leans heavily on creatures that are evasive, resistent to removal, or well positioned in the meta plus arguably the best pump effect in the format to get it done very consistently on turns 4 or 5.

The driving force behind its success could be interpreted as any one or combination of the following facts post rotation (in no particular order):
1. Timely Reinforcements is very cold to this deck and was used a large crutch by control decks to fight other aggro lists.
2. A swift clock.
3. The best disruption in the format via Whispering Specter + Lashwrithe.
4. Resistance to sweepers thanks to the best and only manland in the format, Inkmoth Nexus. Honorable mention for sweeper resistance; Postmortem Lunge and Skithiryx, The Blight Dragon.
5. Diverse and relevant removal suite.
6. The ability to pay life to build tempo... while not as good as life for cards... life for tempo is a big deal.
7. All creatures have a form of evasion that is almost as good as being unblockable in the current format.

Cards you should play in MBI:

Show

Creatures

Plague Stinger - Quickly derided as just bad... it is in essence a 2/2 evasive clock and it carries the equipment well. It's an ugly fact that the deck has to lean on this card... but when you put him in this specific deck he is just fine, if not excellent at pulling removal.

Phyrexian Crusader - A fantastically positioned card in the meta. His protection gives him a lot of evasion and the ability to stare down larger threats in the late game while you work on a win.

Whispering Specter - This card takes games away and lets you win ones you have no business winning. The 3 slot is full, but if you're not running 4 of this guy you're not maximizing your deck's chance to blow-out your opponent. When you're playing mono black and you have a degenerate interaction you use it. And you don't just use it, you do everything you can to make it happen.

Skithiryx, The Blight Dragon - Strong, strong creature. He should be no more than 2-3 in your list. Opponents will play carefully around his ability to land and haste for a win... plus he's evasive and wrath resistant.

Honorable Mentions:

Phyrexian Vatmother - She's a great sideboard card for RDW or Burning Vengeance. Or any deck running an absurd amount of removal spells that deal exactly 1 damage or do -1/-1 to creatures. Or slagstorm. She's nearly good enough to maindeck as a mise copy or two depending on your meta.

Necropede - Could be used as an extra 2 drop... but he's a big combat loser to the scariest creatures; Thrun and Mirran Crusader. In the mirror you *could* get value if they're playing a bad list with no fliers. I wouldn't recommend you force him in.

Plague Myr - This is a decent extra 2 drop. He can skip you ahead to a turn 3 Lashwrithe... which isn't that exciting... but he can get you to a faster Skithiryx which is ok.

Flensermite - The one matchup you'd think you want this for would remove it too easily. Don't use it.

Anything else isn't really even worth discussing.

Spells

Virulent Wound - This card is ridiculously good. If you're not using 3-4 you're probably doing it wrong.

Tezzeret's Gambit - It's a weak form of reach/midgame staying power card. Good as a 3-4x. Can also be used creatively to keep certain situations from getting out of hand.

Lashwrithe - The reason you're playing this deck. Turn 3 awesome creature, turn 4 see if your opponent has a removal. If they don't, win. If they do, look for another creature to threaten a 2 turn clock with.

Tribute to Hunger - Removal is really good and I'm not going to break down all the different options mono black has it's disposal; because it is a lot. Instead I want to stress that this card is very important for answering Mirran Crusader, Thrun, The Last Troll, Geist of Saint Traft, Titans, animated Gideons.... tons of things. It is also excellent at just buying you another turn or buying back some life you traded for tempo early on. I urge you to run no less than 2 of these. I prefer 3.

Sever the Bloodline - The only other removal I'll mention. Do not underestimate the pop of this card for clearing out Midnight Hauntings or a cracked Shrine of Loyal Legions. Also good for Titans or Chandra's Phoenix. And it can 2 for 1 if the game goes long. I recommend a 2x in your main, more in the sideboard.

Postmortem Lunge - Great surprise win card. Another tempo for life card, but adding haste is a real blow-out people do not expect. With almost no mana left and a lashwrithe out you can rip into this and throw 6 life away to reanimate a plague stinger, equip, and win. Try 2.

Sideboard/Role playing cards:
Surgical Extraction - A goto hate card for Solar Flare. Run 3 or 4 in your sideboard.

Curse of Death's Hold - The mirror hate card needs a mention here.

Despise - Strong against Wolf Run. They're going to board in a lot of geistflames and slagstorms to disrupt you... give them some right back. Remember that deck is more scared of you than you are of it.

Black Sun's Zenith - Recommended as part of a transformational sideboard card against faster decks. When piloting MBI you need to quickly evaluate when you are the beatdown and when you're the control deck. Sideboarding becomes very easy once you understand that and you'll want this card at your disposal.

Ratchet Bomb - Good for tokens and cheap pump effects.

Memoricide - Don't forget this card exists. You probably won't have any room for it however.

Phyrexian Metamorph - If 4 Tribute to Hunger isn't enough for handling Thruns or huge legends give this a try to legend-rule them. Hard to justify this however.

Karn liberated - Ehhh if you're looking for an answer to artifacts or enchantments or planeswalkers this is where you should start because waiting on Ratchet Bomb can be too slow. Also consider Spine of Ish Sah. Generally you should just try to win faster and not get sucked into this card as a sideboard answer.

Gruesome Encore - A cute anti solar flare card.

Nihil Spellbomb - A budget alternative to Surgical Extraction. It isn't terrible but the deck would rather pay life than mana to end as fast as possible.

Lands

Inkmoth Nexus - Run 4.
Swamp - Awesome.

Ghost Quarter - Strong case can be made for this as an 8 card board in against Wolf Run. I did it at States and it paid off.

Lists

Starcity 5k Kansas City - Logan Petersen
Show

25 LANDS

21 Swamp

4 Inkmoth Nexus

14 CREATURES

4 Phyrexian Crusader

4 Plague Stinger

3 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

3 Whispering Specter

12 INSTANTS and SORCERIES

3 Virulent Wound

2 Tezzeret's Gambit

2 Despise

2 Victim of Night

2 Dismember

1 Doom Blade

9 OTHER SPELLS

4 Lashwrithe

3 Liliana of the Veil

2 Contagion Clasp

SIDEBOARD

1 Whispering Specter

1 Virulent Wound

1 Despise

2 Nihil Spellbomb

2 Tribute to Hunger

2 Phyrexian Vatmother

2 Spellskite

2 Phyrexian Metamorph

2 Unknown Card

Starcity 5k Baltimore - Joseph Jancuk
Show

24 LANDS

20 Swamp

4 Inkmoth Nexus

12 CREATURES

4 Phyrexian Crusader

4 Plague Stinger

2 Whispering Specter

2 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

13 INSTANTS and SORCERIES

3 Virulent Wound

2 Tezzeret's Gambit

2 Distress

2 Victim of Night

2 Doom Blade

1 Dismember

1 Tribute to Hunger

11 OTHER SPELLS

4 Lashwrithe

3 Liliana of the Veil

2 Contagion Clasp

1 Tumble Magnet

1 Nihil Spellbomb

SIDEBOARD

1 Virulent Wound

1 Distress

1 Whispering Specter

1 Tumble Magnet

2 Nihil Spellbomb

2 Tribute to Hunger

2 Spellskite

3 Phyrexian Vatmother

2 Black Sun's Zenith

Gerry Thompson List (Used in multiple States Tops by people other than Gerry T)
Show

25 LANDS

21 Swamp

4 Inkmoth Nexus

12 CREATURES

4 Phyrexian Crusader

4 Plague Stinger

2 Whispering Specter

2 Skithiryx, the Blight Dragon

11 INSTANTS and SORCERIES

3 Virulent Wound

2 Distress

2 Dismember

2 Victim of Night

2 Tezzeret's Gambit

12 OTHER SPELLS

4 Lashwrithe

3 Liliana of the Veil

2 Nihil Spellbomb

2 Contagion Clasp

1 Tumble Magnet

SIDEBOARD

1 Virulent Wound

1 Nihil Spellbomb

2 Whispering Specter

2 Spellskite

3 Phyrexian Vatmother

1 Go for the Throat

1 Doom Blade

2 Despise

2 Black Sun's Zenith

Niche's Top 4 from States (bad version, good version in 2nd Post)

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGNichecopy.png)

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4
Multiple 2013 IQ Top 4/8 Finishes
Designer of Top 8 States finishing MBC decks in 2011, 2010, and 2009 
Standard Forum - Iron Deck Builder Season One Champ

Favorite Quotes

"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance." - Laurence J. Peter 
"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Fix your Forum Experience here: http://community.wizards.com/forum/new-site-feedback/threads/3925861

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

"It is the province of knowledge to speak, and it is the privilege of wisdom to listen.” - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Hey Niche, I belive Doom blade, gofer, and Geths verdict need a small mention in spells. Not a whole lot of details for any of them but usually using some mixture of them with whats listed usually is better depending on meta.
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
One very relevant factor to this deck's success to add to the OP is the relative lack of playable flyers in the format. Plague Stinger, Inkmoth Nexus, Whispering Specter and Skittles all benefit greatly from the fact that Flying is virtually "unblockable".
Anon, see the underlined section under Tribute to Hunger.

MrIndigo, I hinted at it in the paragraph preceding the numbers. I went ahead and made the evasion item 7.

Laying out the pros of this deck really makes it easy to see the power. The trick a lot of people miss when evaluating the deck is how its better than a vanilla aggro list. I expect it to hold staying power as the meta matures over the next 2 sets. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Niche (or anyone, really), how would you side the above list in a matchup against Mirran Crusader/Angelic Destiny or the like?
id say almost 1 or 2 Memoricide in the sideboard to extract the Destinies/Crusaders before they can be dropped. 

Also if you can keep their board clear of other creatures you can just Tribute to Hunger away their Crusader
Against WU aggro you are the control deck.

Board out:
2 Postmortem Lunge
4 Plague Stinger
4 Virulent Wound

Board in:
4 Despise
2 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Tribute to Hunger
1 Doom Blade
2 Sever the Bloodline

Crusader and Skithiryx and Inkmoth will deliver your victory as the game progresses. But now you've got multiple answers for Crusader... and anything else holding an Angelic Destiny isn't a big deal. And you can still just Turn 3 Specter into Turn 4 lashwrithe with this board plan.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Board out:
2 Postmortem Lunge
4 Plague Stinger
4 Virulent Wound

Board in:
4 Despise
2 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Tribute to Hunger
1 Doom Blade
2 Sever the Bloodline

Crusader and Skithiryx and Inkmoth will deliver your victory as the game progresses. But now you've got multiple answers for Crusader... and anything else holding an Angelic Destiny isn't a big deal. And you can still just Turn 3 Specter into Turn 4 lashwrithe with this board plan.

Makes sense, thanks a lot. I'm still a total noob when it comes to the SB. I think the fact you identified MBI as the control in this matchup helps me a lot too, because I would probably have kept trying to race this deck. :P

Edit: What's the target for Sever the Bloodline? The biggest threats in this deck are Pro:Black or Hexproof. Just to twofer their less important guys?
Hello everyone. It's my 1st time to post here in community wizards.

Niche what is your sideboard against  G/W Overrun?

what will you board in and board out? 
rules, yes Sever is just to help hold the flood down. Tribute, Despise, and BSZ should be held for crusaders or geists. Throw Doom Blades, Victims, and Severs at the other guys or lay out a Phyrexian Crusader to intercept. Of course Sever will 2 for 1 later but 1:1 against aggro is fine as long as you have a way to draw back into a positive ca situation.

slobad41, against GW overrun I'd start with:

Out:
2xVictim of Night

In:
2xSever the Bloodline

If that isn't enough you can sideboard out the 4 x Plague Stingers (the biggest loser against midnight haunting from blind combats) for 2 x BSZ and 1x Blade and 1x Tribute.

If that still isn't helping go with the WU sideboard plan because it means they've got enough interference to keep you from out-aggro'ing them.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Tnx Niche Smile

MABUHAY KA. 

Hey guys first time using the forums.

Hey Niche have you playtested with Liliana of the Veil and Phyrexian Metamorph? if so, wat do you think of them?

Thanks!
Hey guys first time using the forums.

Hey Niche have you playtested with Liliana of the Veil and Phyrexian Metamorph? if so, wat do you think of them?

Thanks!

I did test a miser Metamorph as an attempt to have a '5th' lashwrithe or extra crusader or answer for Thrun/Elesh Norn... but I ended up cutting it for a 25th land. It didn't perform very well.

Liliana is too much on the 3 curve... in an aggro deck the discard will probably not be used when you need to use it (too late)... and for 3cmc edict effects I'd rather have instant speed + lifegain from Tribute to Hunger in this deck. You pay an awful lot of life out to build tempo and tribute is amazing because of it. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

What do you guys think of today's Building on a Budget MBI list? I don't think it's as good as Niche's, but what do you think of some of the specific choices? Like including Trigon of Rage or maindecking Curse of Death's Hold? Personally, I wouldn't maindeck the Curse, but that's because I haven't seen any token decks in my meta (yet). I do kind of like one or two Gitaxian Probe as an alternative to Gambit though.
You can't build on more of a budget than MBI. I mean you cut the inkmoths and you're down to less than $40 I think for everything else.

Probe < Gambit.

Curse in the maindeck? Yuck.

Trigon of Rage would be ok if you wanted a 5th or 6th lashwrithe I guess. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I really like it.  One thing I noticed though was that you said necropede was terrible, because you could 2 for 1 yourself.  Unless I'm reading it wrong though, the ability is a "may" ability, so if they didn't have any other creatures out, you wouldn't be forced to put a -1/-1 counter on your own creature, so it wouldn't be a 2 for 1. 

That being said, I still think the creatures being used outclass necropede by quite a bit.  However, it could possibly be a decent sideboard option in a RDW heavy meta.
You can't build on more of a budget than MBI. I mean you cut the inkmoths and you're down to less than $40 I think for everything else.

Probe < Gambit.

Curse in the maindeck? Yuck.

Trigon of Rage would be ok if you wanted a 5th or 6th lashwrithe I guess. 

When I did the numbers, Black Infect without Inkmoths came to just under $100 USD.

I'm interested in trying Trigons where I currently have Mutagenic Growth.
Ah sorry about the necropede goof. I'll adjust the OP.

MrIndigo, let me know how Trigons work out. I'm a little curious about both but they seem cutesy in their own ways.  Trigon being a better winner... but growth being a couterspell of sorts.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I do legitimately use Mutagenic Growth to do mid-combat tricks (e.g. Growth a Crusader, block a Titan) to save my guys where they'd otherwise trade, which is why I'm a little concerned at the vastly more mana-costly Trigons.
I personally like the idea of growth, more than trigon. You are telegraphing with trigon in a threatning manner sure, but growth on a unchecked flyer seems more evil and surprising, and like indigo said can screw up their combat math.
"Some have said there is no subtlety to destruction. You know what? They're dead." —Jaya Ballard, task mage
I'm more attracted to growth for all the reasons mentioned. Plus it only costs life to build tempo+win... which is what this deck does very well.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I for one am glad that MBI is finally in the T2 category.  

As an aside, I'm curious as to what everybody thinks about the spot removal + discard suite in MBI right now.  In addition to the 4 Whispering Specters, do you feel that 4 Distress, 4 Despise, 4 of both, or some mix is a good way to go for discard?  Also, for removal, in addition to Tribute, is Victim or Doom Blade better right now?  I'm not as up to date on metagame evolutions as I would like to be.  

Also, I was having a discussion with a player in my area who I ran into on campus, and he brought up the possibility of Ichor Rats in the deck.  He argued that the 2 power and garenteed poison counter was worth it, but I personally feel that the deck already has a lot of action at 3, and the options it has are just much better, but once again, I would like to hear what everybody else thinks about it.  

the deck already has a lot of action at 3, and the options it has are just much better

QFT
A pair of victims + the tributes is really strong. Victim hitting Titans and inkmoths and WU human aggro all over the place is exciting. Tribute handles the rest. Wound gets the small guys.

No to ichor rats. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

Reccomendation on what to swap out for Mutagenic?

I'm running a similar decklist minus the sever the bloodlines, and x3 of whisperer+ x2 of Skith

Also, how are the matchups against WW aggro humans?

Board out:
2 Postmortem Lunge
4 Plague Stinger
4 Virulent Wound

Board in:
4 Despise
2 Black Sun's Zenith
1 Tribute to Hunger
1 Doom Blade
2 Sever the Bloodline

Makes sense, thanks a lot. I'm still a total noob when it comes to the SB. I think the fact you identified MBI as the control in this matchup helps me a lot too, because I would probably have kept trying to race this deck. :P

Edit: What's the target for Sever the Bloodline? The biggest threats in this deck are Pro:Black or Hexproof. Just to twofer their less important guys?

SB decisions are critical. Even if you win game 1, sub in the wrong cards and that's a guranteed loss to an opponent who knows how to SB and handle your deck. That said here's a quick overview of how MBI reacts to other decks using my sideboard as an example. 

3x rathcet bomb
3x phyrexian vatmother
2x curse of death's hold
2x black sun's zenith
2x spellskite
1x distress
1x go for the throat
1x virulent wound

Mono Red- Put in all the Vatmothers, take out all artifacts because they WILL SB in Ancestral Grudge or that vandal guy. I also like to throw in Curse of Death's Hold beacuse it takes care of Spikeshot Elder.  
Solar Flare- all Ratchet Bombs to deal with Gideon Jura and possibly Elspeth. Gideon Jura will make a joke of your 1/1 flying infect creatures. You don't need Surgical Extraction or Nihil Spellbomb, it's very possible to do without both.    
Mirror match- Curse of Death's Hold, Go For the Throat, and Virulent Wound. 
Any token deck- Ratchet Bombs, Black Sun's Zenith, and if you have room Curse of Death's Hold. 
Mono white Mirran Crusader bs- Black Sun's Zenith and Ratchet Bombs. 
Kessig- Ratchet Bombs, Spellskite, Distress, and throw in Curse of Death's Hold if you can to lock out their Inkmoths. 
Ehhh...

Ratchet Bomb needs 5 counters to deal with Gideon. That's a pretty tall order and you should instead focus on winning by turn 5.

Ratchet Bomb also doesn't kill inkmoth nexus so I'm not 100% sure what you're using it against Wolf Run decks for. 4 counters for Thrun and 6 for P-****? Try winning instead; you're not the control deck.

Curse of Death's Hold isn't a good RDW sideboard card. It won't be relevant fast enough. It is a good mirror tech because you guys will snipe each other's guys and whoever sticks Curse first only has to answer Skithiryx. It is not very good against tokens because they will have it 'countered' before you can cast it. 

Surgical Extraction is for Forbidden Alchemy against Flare. It also performs well against Vengeance decks which won't go away. 

Everything else just said was pretty accurate. 

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

My current deck list:
2x Contagion Clasp
4x Lashwrithe
3x Virulent Wound
4x Mutagenic
4x Whispering
4x Crusader
2x Skith
4x Stinger
2x tezz gambit
2x Doom Blade
2x Tribute
2x Victim of the Night
4x inkmoth
21x Swamp

Opinons/changes I would need to make this deck as competitive as possible?

Also, as is, is this deck competitive to the point that it could place high in a FNM?
@ Likwweenie - so im assuming that you are running 25 swamps since you havent listed any lands. Inkmoth nexus is critical to Mono Black Infect and you should run four. I personally dont like contagion clasp in MBI and would rather have two more tezz gambits. Whitout specifics on your sideboard and the meta speculating on placement is just guessing.
Dooh, I'm stupid, I forgot to put the lands, yes 4x inkmoth and 21x swamp.

I am currently in the process of getting a sideboard but it will look something like Niches.

I would not run anymore than 2-3 tezz as I always have to tap out for them, and if it is countered it gets painful.
What are peoples thoughts to Spellskite for the sideboard??

and also Niche have you changed your list much from post number 2 after more testing or playing??

Thanks

oh p.s does anyone know of any videos on the net that show MBI in action???? 

and also Niche have you changed your list much from post number 2 after more testing or playing??

Thanks

I ran Spellskite in the side for a short while, and it's not bad. It's most useful against RDW and Wolf Run. The latter is already a fairly good matchup for this deck, so I ended up cutting them. Still not a terrible option.

Also, here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sBECHc4Wdk

Went 3-2 at FNM tonight. The two losses I can attribute almost *entirely* to Sword of Feast and Famine. If it sticks, it's a nightmare. The only real answer I can see is Distress, which makes me sad. There's killing the target in response to the equip, but there's not always that option.

I've been playtesting this deck at my local FNM for a little while now and I've only really run into major problems with one deck. This one guy uses U/W Control with 5 different Planeswalkers in his deck/side. Jace, Gideon, Elspeth, Karn, and Venser. His whole schtick is to prevent you from doing anything until he get's his planeswalkers out then uses Venser's +2 to bounce cards like Stonehorn Dignitary in and out of the field. He combines these with liberal applications of Contagion Clasp, Tumble Magnet, and Day of Judgment. Add in the Mana Leaks and Dissipates he's running and I end up feeling like I was running my head into a brick wall instead of actually playing a game of Magic.

I have no clue how I'm supposed to win. I've tried Dispise + Extraction on his Planeswalkers but that still leaves me open to his artifacts.. I can swarm the field but he always seems to have a Day of Judgment ready and waiting. It's really frustrating.
No Spellbombs eva Niche?

Thanks

Went 3-2 at FNM tonight. The two losses I can attribute almost *entirely* to Sword of Feast and Famine. If it sticks, it's a nightmare. The only real answer I can see is Distress, which makes me sad. There's killing the target in response to the equip, but there's not always that option.

Try this, bro. Classic solution to Sword-wielding dudes.
No spellbombs; too easy to play around.

And no, my list in the 2nd post only changes in the sideboard per meta scouting. If I expect a lot of RDW or Burning Vengeance I pack Vatmothers as an example. The maindeck feels too solid for adjustments. 

Against control decks you shouldn't waste time trying to answer their answers. Try to win faster. When you board out your aggressive angle to try not to lose to Gideon you just lose to their entire deck. Tuning some removal into Despise seems fine to try to pre-empt him but that's all you should do. And don't overextend into a Day of Judgement. The deck runs fine on a single evasive creature carrying a lashwrithe.

As far as Feast and Famine on a dude? This is why I use lots of tribute to hunger. Its a great way to continue building tempo where tumble magnet really feels like I'm taking a turn off.

Boasts?

2011 States Top 4

Favorite Quotes

I'm having trouble piloting this deck, and I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong. It's a list very similar to Niche's list earlier in the thread:

Could my problems be with something that's wrong with the list?

I feel like part of the problem is also determining when to control and when to beat. I'm used to MBC where it's easier (for me at least) to figure that out. I've also considered that maybe this isn't the right deck for my meta, which seems to be swarming with UW aggro, and that deck tends to trounce me with this list... Help!
Ehhh...

Ratchet Bomb needs 5 counters to deal with Gideon. That's a pretty tall order and you should instead focus on winning by turn 5.

Ratchet Bomb also doesn't kill inkmoth nexus so I'm not 100% sure what you're using it against Wolf Run decks for. 4 counters for Thrun and 6 for P-****? Try winning instead; you're not the control deck.

Curse of Death's Hold isn't a good RDW sideboard card. It won't be relevant fast enough. It is a good mirror tech because you guys will snipe each other's guys and whoever sticks Curse first only has to answer Skithiryx. It is not very good against tokens because they will have it 'countered' before you can cast it. 

Surgical Extraction is for Forbidden Alchemy against Flare. It also performs well against Vengeance decks which won't go away. 

Everything else just said was pretty accurate. 

As it stands, Ratchet Bomb is the only means MBI has for dealing with planeswalkers, enchantments, and artifacts. Flare vs. MBI matches last a long time in my experience, at least after the 1st game. Getting enough counters on a Ratchet Bomb played fairly early is not an issue, if not only to deal with oblivion rings which is what I specifically had in mind when I first decided to use them. Their role vs. kessig is primarily for Garruk and his tokens. Ratchet played and sacrificed immediately is frequently useful in clearing the ground of tokens quite suddenly for your crusader to hit for game.

Curse of Death's hold is primarily for mirror. Everywhere else it's arbitrary though I have found it useful in token decks because they counter the effect of honor of the pure or prep 2/2 guys for virulent woundings along with buying precious time against Mirran Crusader.

MBI can be extremely aggressive thanks to Laswrithe but it can also turn up the control and make a game last, especially when you main deck 3 Liliana.  
I think Distress will help you with enchantments and artifacts if you can get to them early.
Out of curiousity, how are people finding the matchups with MBI?  I've only really had the oppertunity to test against Wolf-Run (Ramp, RG, and Naya varieties) and UB Control, as well as the FNM level decks in my area, such as Burning Vengeance and UG Splinterfright, and was wondering how people were finding some of the other matchups in the meta, such as Tempered Steel, GW Tokens, RDW, Geist-Blade (or whatever it's called now), and whatever other decks are posting good results.  Any advice on what cards to run in the sideboard to beat the decks that are giving Infect a bit of trouble?  
Sign In to post comments