11/8/2011 LI: "Playing with Tappers"

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
your default should always be to tap your opponent's best creature on his or her declare attackers step

Declare attackers step is too late.  By the time you have priority, attackers have already been declared.  You need to tap your opponent's creature during his Beginning of Combat step.
your default should always be to tap your opponent's best creature on his or her declare attackers step

Declare attackers step is too late.  By the time you have priority, attackers have already been declared.  You need to tap your opponent's creature during his Beginning of Combat step.

Does it really say that?!

(*goes back to check*)

Wow. I hadnt even noticed that. I was coming here to say what a great article it was, but Ive changed my mind now. Get this fixed ASAP Wizards!!

~ Tim
I am Blue/White Reached DCI Rating 1800 on 28/10/11. :D
Sig
56287226 wrote:
190106923 wrote:
Not bad. But what happens flavor wise when one kamahl kills the other one?
Zis iz a sign uf deep psychological troma, buried in zer subconscious mind. By keelink himzelf, Kamahl iz physically expressink hiz feelinks uf self-disgust ova hiz desire for hiz muzzer. [/GermanPsychologistVoice]
56957928 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
That makes no sense to me. If they spelled the ability out on the card in full then it would not be allowed in a mono-black Commander deck, but because they used a keyword to save space it is allowed? ~ Tim
Yup, just like you can have Birds of paradise in a mono green deck but not Noble Hierarch. YAY COLOR IDENTITY
56287226 wrote:
56888618 wrote:
Is algebra really that difficult?
Survey says yes.
56883218 wrote:
57799958 wrote:
You want to make a milky drink. You squeeze a cow.
I love this description. Like the cows are sponges filled with milk. I can see it all Nick Parks claymation-style with the cow's eyes bugging out momentarily as a giant farmer squeezes it like a squeaky dog toy, and milk shoots out of it.
56287226 wrote:
56735468 wrote:
And no judge will ever give you a game loss for playing snow covered lands.
I now have a new goal in life. ;)

(*goes back to check*)

Wow. I hadnt even noticed that. I was coming here to say what a great article it was, but Ive changed my mind now. Get this fixed ASAP Wizards!!

~ Tim

This is actually one of the most common mistakes/misconceptions among all players. Usually because it goes against the most common/intuitive form of play.

In most games, players usually skip the whole Beginning of the Combat Step and just go straight into declaring attackers.

It usually goes something like this:
Player A: "...and my sorcery resolves. Now I attack with...."
Player B: "Okay"

If you know the rules and phases well enough, you work with it, but usually this ends up in one player just tapping their attackers while the other says "Wait wait! I was gonna do something before you declared attackers."

It happens.

(*goes back to check*)

~ Tim

I read it as "when your opponent goes to declare attackers, mention that you need to back up to the Beginning of Combat step, then tap them".  The typical shorthand (non-competitive play) is to just start choosing attackers, then back up if somebody needed to do anything first.
It's worth noting that you need to respond to Brain Weevil being cast, not sacrificed (the article doesn't make that clear). As soon as it's sacrificed, High-Priest is turned on and can't be responded to.
It's worth noting that you need to respond to Brain Weevil being cast, not sacrificed (the article doesn't make that clear). As soon as it's sacrificed, High-Priest is turned on and can't be responded to.

Nice catch. Let's see how many more gameplay errors are hidden the (otherwise high quality) article.

Nice catch. Let's see how many more gameplay errors are hidden the (otherwise high quality) article.

Of course that whole argument is moot since the High-Priest is a human...

Great article otherwise it's nice to see these to direct newer players to and also as a refresher for long time players who haven't played with tappers in a while.  The maximizing your mana and misleading section is well done.  I've been super behind on the board before and done this since if it works I'm so much more likely to be able to pull into the game, but if they don't buy the bluff I'm dead anyways.
Of course that whole argument is moot since the High-Priest is a human...

Which is probably why the article said "
Then you can tap one of your opponent's other creatures so the Skirsdag High Priest won't be able to make any Demons.

(emphasis added)

Just sayin...
I just want to applaud to the editors for correcting the mistakes that were pointed out in a timely fashion!
Three cheers for the silent editors!