Fortune Cards

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, appologies if this is a retread topic.  My search-fu found nothing useful.

Just trying to get a feel for how many people/groups/stores have adopted the use of the Fortune cards?

I'm wondering because it came up over the weekend with a group of friends and nobody had any interest in incorporating them into our game.

Are they more widely accepted outside my postal code?

Thanks.
It's like 1 out of 4 at my store. Just about every game has them but not not every player.
At my store its about 75% for encounters and about 50% for lfr.
I'm second from the left in the picture.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

My group really had no interest in them until Neverwinter Gameday, where they included a couple of cards in the goody bag.  I got a couple of packs to try them out, then a couple of other people got a hold of them for Lair Assault.  I don't know about the statistics for the rest of the players in my store, but in my regular group of about 8 people, 4 people have a collection, but only three people (my self included) use them regularly.  
I just started using them. Most of the time they are not gamebreaking, but are simply a fun addition. At my regular LFR group I'd say it's probably half the players using them. I like buying a pack or two a week when I can afford it to support the store, since I can get my books cheaper elsewhere.
They don't get much use where I play. I allow my players to use them at the cost of a feat, and while we had one person (out of I think 12 players now) take me up on the offer for a few levels, they've since tossed it aside and gone for something less complicated to deal with. They're available for use at the Encounters sessions I'm involved in, but there's maybe one group per season that actually bothers.
Fire Blog Control, Change, and Chaos: The Elemental Power Source Elemental Heroes Example Classes Xaosmith Exulter Chaos Bringer Director Elemental Heroes: Looking Back - Class and Story Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Xaosmith (January 16, 2012) Elemental Heroes: Complete Class Beta - The Harbinger (May 16, 2012) Check out my Elemental Heroes blog series and help me develop four unique elemental classes.
These were pushed really hard in the first half of the encounters season I played. Those who had them typically forgot to use them. In the last several sessions not a single person gad them.
never used them, never will, wont allow players to use them, think theyre crap
I don't use them. I don't think any of my players even know they exist...
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
My group uses them a lot, and I'm a big fan.  They're not overpowered, but a lot of the cards are rather niche, so some investment is required if you want to get significant mileage out of them.  A lot of people point at this as the reason Fortune Cards are "terrible for the game", but the truth is, there's not significant power creep here.

A card that grants a bonus to hit is never better than +2, which is about equal to combat advantage, which isn't very hard to achieve if you put your mind to it.  One could argue that it can grant a +2 in addition to combat advantage, but I've never felt that giving a player a higher chance for his attacks to succeed from time to time is an issue anyways.

The real winners are the cards that give you tactical advantages, especially at low levels, when a character doesn't have many powers to work with.  You really need to consider the value of a card when you draw it- I prefer cards that I can play the turn I draw them, so I don't end up staring at something situational for the length of an entire battle.

Beyond heroic tier, however, I think that the advantage of the cards will fade.  While there are some gems that will always be relevant, far more of them will be obsoleted by higher level class features, feats, and magic items that are more reliable.

So, to me, fortune cards share the same design space as Themes: they exist to make Heroic Tier more interesting and dynamic for players.  In short, if you're the kind of player that wants more options, the cards present that opportunity- but the balance point is that you don't know what the next card in your deck is going to be (well, unless you're a Fatedancer, but that's another kettle of fish).         
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -The Doctor, Remembrance of the Daleks
I don't use them. I don't think any of my players even know they exist...

I think the only players in my group that know they exist are those i've talked to them about it.
I use them when I play and usually never end up actually using one during game because I don't meet the criteria. It is amusing when I just draw a card I could have used last turn, or come to a turn where I could have used the card I discarded two seconds ago. I like 'em, as they add a little extra flavour, much like Action Points did when they were first introduced late last version. And I'm sure people are still stuck in their craw over those...

Some of my players use them, and I encourage them to use them if they want to. Big fan of 'don't knock it till you've tried it'. The rewards cards have gotten some starting their own decks, and I've given away a few of my own to help.

I'll never require them, but neither will I forbid them from being used. 
No one has yet asked to use them in the private games I've run, but here are the approximate numbers from the public games (W. Portland Or. area) I've run since the cards came out:
Lair Assault: 2 out of 14
Neverwinter Encounters: 1 out of 13
Living Forgotten Realms: 1 out of 28
Convention Demos: 0 out of 30+
We used them when they came out, they were kind of fun, and a substantial power boost (+2 to at will attacks, with a Psion who only has at wills? yes please).

But we have since banned them, people already have trouble understanding everything their character can do, and they already spend too much time on each turn. Fortune cards were just adding to this problem.
Big_Man, that's pretty understandable. Why add more complexity when it just takes away the fun it's supposed to be adding?
I've gotten enough Fortune Cards as swag that I have a legal 'deck' of all 'promo' cards that I take with me to Encounters.  I rarely use it.  I find the draw-at-the-start-of-your-turn rule annoying, I either forget to draw, or draw & reconsider what I might want to do that round, slowing down my turn - the last thing you need when squeezing an encounter into an hour or so. 

Use of them hasn't run really high.  I've had 1 or 2 out of 5 players at Lair Assault use them, and, like me, they often forget to draw. 

Of course, the complaint that the cards are underwhelming or 'not worth it' is only going to goad WotC into making a really overpowered or abuseable set...

Oops, looks like this request tried to create an infinite loop. We do not allow such things here. We are a professional website!

Of course, the complaint that the cards are underwhelming or 'not worth it' is only going to goad WotC into making a really overpowered or abuseable set...

And it's an inaccurate complaint: 5 players with 4 copies of Unfair Advantage in their 10 card decks and a reliable way to knock enemies prone add the equivalent of an extra PC to the party in terms of damage dealt... more if the party in question has a slayer or thief deliver the triggered actions.

If Unfair Advantage is what they print when they're pulling their punches, I hate to see what they come up with otherwise.
I've sunk way more money in them then I probably should have. About once an encounter I get a card that can actually be used. I find they work the best on essentials characters, just to give a bit more options to look at. But I hardly use them when I play my paragon fighter. The more options/tricks/things your character does the less useful they become and it is more stuff you have to remember. 

Where I play LFR about 25~50 percent use them. Precent was a bit higher at the FLGS when I had time to play there.

I would not use them for cons or battle interactives though. They slow things down.

I think next time I DM for people if they have play at start of turn cards I will let them draw at the end of their current turn just so they take a bit less time. Of course this only helps people who are prepared in the first place.

In LFR the power creep cards are managed though since you can only have one of kind. (Though I still have a few of the cards that grant basic attacks, Unfair advantage is my favorite on my hunter.) 

I can understand that you don't like using them yourself, but isn't not allowing your players to use a perfectly legal player option just because you don't like it taking the whole thing too far.

I can understand that you don't like using them yourself, but isn't not allowing your players to use a perfectly legal player option just because you don't like it taking the whole thing too far.

no. like any dm since the dawn of time i can make any rule i want in my games. but its not like they are clamoring to use these pieces of trash. its a small minority of players that have ever even heard of them, much less used them, much less like them

its not like i made them use item rarity...im not a savage
There's one or two people who have them for Encounters, but I can only recall one instance of a card being used. Furthermore, there's some people who I would consider actively discouraging them from using them, as they already have a hard enough time using their character's abilities (and take a lot of time and sometimes someone else deciding that they're doing that turn). 

For people who like rules-heavy, it can probably be fun, but I find it interrupts the flow of actual role-playing, when that does happen.  

You know, I somehow knew you'd pop up and say something inane and ill considered.

Anyway, I pass them out to my players from a group set and let them use or ignore them at their discretion. We all like them, although the luck can sometimes lead to everyone getting a card that would be perfect for someone else at the table.

Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
I've never used them or seen them used. They seem interesting, especially since I'm a big fan of utility powers. They also seem like they would slow down play, some people already have enough trouble keeping track of their characters powers.
This thread surprises me because I thought that everybody hated them and thought that they were one of the worst ideas ever. I don't known of a single group that uses them, and I haven't even met a single player that has any desire to.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
in my experience:

1) ongoing campaigns (whether home games, or LFR-esque store games) - never seen them used.
2) Encounters - roughly 1 in 6 (averaged over past 2 seasons) will bring a deck to the table; only about 1 in 3 of those actually remember they're there.
3) Lair Assault - i DM'd it 7 times, played it 4 times, and only 3 people total brought a deck. those 3 though put it to good use, and it's value seemed higher than a feat (but less than a utility power).

ive DMed past 3 seasons of Encounters, and one minor change i made for those that do bring them: draw at the end of your turn, instead of the beginning. this lets the player think about if/how to use it during everyone else's turn, instead of front-clogging thier own turn and noticeably slowing down the table. especially for those newer to the game.
Bane of Gnomes. "An angel of snuggles is a bad match for evil gods." -Mike Mearls (Worlds&Monsters, p.72)
We have one or two players who really like them, and I allow them for that reason, but most of the other players have little or no interest in them.  I never use them, I don't think they do enough to justify the trouble and expense of using them.

My usual FLGS gave me about 20 packs as a freebie for supporting and promoting the store. I put them all together into one big deck and deal one out randomly whenever one of my players rolls a natural 20 on an attack. We've flavored it as a minor boon from the gods for being so freaking amazing. So far they've been a fun addition to the game that the players see as a mild perk for rolling a crit. I should say, however, that the group has zero interest in using them as intended.
This thread surprises me because I thought that everybody hated them and thought that they were one of the worst ideas ever. I don't known of a single group that uses them, and I haven't even met a single player that has any desire to.

I like them quite alot. They're a fun addition to the game.

I'm slowly chucking the older cards out, though. I like the Neverwinter and Feywild cards much more. I'm also getting a better feel as time goes by of which cards rarely see use, and which ones rarely get opted out of. Obviously I'll be weeding out the ones that get traded more often, in favor of keeping the "good ones".
Skeptical_Clown wrote:
More sex and gender equality and racial equality shouldn't even be an argument--it should simply be an assumption for any RPG that wants to stay relevant in the 21st century.
104340961 wrote:
Pine trees didn't unanimously decide one day that leaves were gauche.
http://community.wizards.com/doctorbadwolf/blog/2012/01/10/how_we_can_help_make_dndnext_awesome
ive DMed past 3 seasons of Encounters, and one minor change i made for those that do bring them: draw at the end of your turn, instead of the beginning. this lets the player think about if/how to use it during everyone else's turn, instead of front-clogging thier own turn and noticeably slowing down the table. especially for those newer to the game.

Good idea.
We've tried them during three separate sessions and my players have very little interest in them.  I'm not sure if anyone even played a single card.  The next session I forgot to bring them and nobody noticed they were gone.