Need help with mono Black Zombie deck

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey All,

After researching many threads on making mono standard Black Zombie decks, I went about and made this one.  I've noticed that this deck takes about 4 turns to really start working unless I have some Diregraf Ghouls in my initial hand to take early damage.

Land
25x Swamp

23 Creatures
4x Diregraf Ghoul 
4x Phyrexian Crusader
4x Cemetery Reaper
4x Grave Titan 
2x Skinrender 
2x Abattoir Ghoul 
1x Sutured Ghoul 
1x Unbreathing Horde 
1x Vengeful Pharaoh 

12 Spells
4x Victim of Night 
2x Ghoulcaller's Chant 
3x Moan of the Unhallowed 
1x Army of the Damned 
1x Zombie Infestation 
1x Call to the Grave 

Total 60 cards 

Also, can you recommend any cards to eliminate artifacts/enchantments incase I run across that. Feedback is definitely appreciated! Thanks!
IMO and how I play, I run between 2-4 cards, and if I have a 1 of card, I either cut it out or I get more. Sutured Ghoul is cool and all, but if your only running 1 of it your chances are slim of drawing it. Im sure you will draw it at some point in time, I use to run one of cards cause there were cool cards, but I hardly drew them.

Also I feel like the phyrexian crusaders are a little out of place, so I wouldnt run them, but if you like them you could.

You also need removal. Doomblade, go for the throat and dismember for indestructible cards. If someone throws out a Primeval Titan your only creature that could take care of it is Grave Titan unless your able to buff them up. Id do something like this if it were me

Creatures
Diregraf Ghoulx4
Cemetary Reaperx4
Grave Titanx2 or 3
Skinrenderx3 or 4
Abattoir Ghoulx3
Unbreathing Hordex4
Vengeful Pharoahx3

Removal
Dismemberx4
Then either Doom blade or Go for the Throatx4 depending on what kinda of decks your playing. Obviously mono black Doomblade is worthless, and heavy artifact Go for the Throat bad.
Maybe also throw in a Black Sun's Zenith for some board removal.

Then have
Ghoul Caller's Chantx4 great in a Zombie deck. One land to return two zombies to your hand. Awesome
Call to the Gravex4
And id probably just run Army of the Damnedx2 and then Moan of the Unhallowedx3

That will put you a little over and spell cards, so you can take something out to what till work with your play style, but if it were me Id do something along those lines, but its your deck and i dont know how you like to play so this could be awful for you.
Hope this helps you out with what you need.
Thanks for the advice! I just ordered Dismemberx4 as it is just a superior card. I'll throw those in there. I'll also remove the Phyrexian Crusader and create a green/black infect deck with it. Are there any artifacts that can strengthen this deck and stay true to the theme?
Dismember is bad right now.  Really bad.  The only real deck it's good against is mono-black infect.  Aggressive decks don't care if you spend a card and 2-4 life to kill one of their creatures, and against slower decks Dismember doesn't kill any relevant creatures (as everything has more than 6 toughness).  Generally speaking, you don't want to be running a card which is dead when you need it the most, so Doom Blade, GftT or Victim is generally going to be better.  
Are there any artifacts that can strengthen this deck and stay true to the theme?

Lashwrithe
mortarpod - works well with pharohs
adaptive automaton more zombie masters

sever the bloodline - sideboard tech vs token decks
The deck you designed falls into the mid-game aggro area. You said yourself that you don't really get started until the 4th turn, and that is not good when you are trying to run aggro. Agreeing with the people above me having singletons without any tutors or dig spells aren't worth it. It depends on where you want to take the deck for what creatures you should put in it. If you want to go for a more aggressive deck, on getting your opponent killed ASAP you are better off going with a build like this:

For the creatures. Walking Corpse  isn't the best of creatures, but it fits in with the zombie theme and gets buffed by the Cemetery Reaper. For spells and instants you want a mix of Doom Blade  Go for the Throat  and Victim of Night to keep the path clear and Despise  and Distress to nab the problems before they even hit the board. The key is to keep your cmc as low as possible to make sure you are either playing or removing a threat each turn.

If you want to take the more control approach this is the deck I have been using with a decent success:

[deck]

Creatures-
4*Cemetery Reaper
4*Phyrexian Crusader
2*Vengeful Pharaoh
2* Skinrender

Spells-
3*Lashwrithe
2*Go for the Throat
2*Doom Blade
2*Victim of Night
2*Call to the Grave
3*Geth's Verdict
2*Tribute to Hunger
3*Distress
2*Despise
2*Army of the Damned

Land-
25*Swamp
[/deck]
This version creates a battle of attrition, killing your opponents creatures while slowly building up your own via Cemetery Reaper and Call to the Grave into a finisher of Army of the Damned.

I hope that helps you some.
Splash Blue for Undead Alchemist for epic mill and unlimited zombies :D

Rooftop storm is also a pretty bad card, but you could play it and vomit your deck onto the field.

There's also a lot of REALLY strong zombies like Stitched Drake, Skaab Ruinator, and the 4/5 or 5/4 for 4 mana..... Because of the exile factor, they become lowcost good cards.
The deck you designed falls into the mid-game aggro area. You said yourself that you don't really get started until the 4th turn, and that is not good when you are trying to run aggro. Agreeing with the people above me having singletons without any tutors or dig spells aren't worth it. It depends on where you want to take the deck for what creatures you should put in it. If you want to go for a more aggressive deck, on getting your opponent killed ASAP you are better off going with a build like this:

For the creatures. Walking Corpse  isn't the best of creatures, but it fits in with the zombie theme and gets buffed by the Cemetery Reaper. For spells and instants you want a mix of Doom Blade  Go for the Throat  and Victim of Night to keep the path clear and Despise  and Distress to nab the problems before they even hit the board. The key is to keep your cmc as low as possible to make sure you are either playing or removing a threat each turn.

If you want to take the more control approach this is the deck I have been using with a decent success:

[deck]

Creatures-
4*Cemetery Reaper
4*Phyrexian Crusader
2*Vengeful Pharaoh
2* Skinrender

Spells-
3*Lashwrithe
2*Go for the Throat
2*Doom Blade
2*Victim of Night
2*Call to the Grave
3*Geth's Verdict
2*Tribute to Hunger
3*Distress
2*Despise
2*Army of the Damned

Land-
25*Swamp
[/deck]
This version creates a battle of attrition, killing your opponents creatures while slowly building up your own via Cemetery Reaper and Call to the Grave into a finisher of Army of the Damned.

I hope that helps you some.

Thanks for posting your deck. I have all of these cards except I'm short a 2nd vengeful pharaoh but I'll see if I can add another Skinrender instead. Hopefully that will do the job this weekend.
Another quick question: I realized that hexproof creatures such as Dungrove Elder pose a problem for zombie decks especially after turn 3-5. Since they are hexproof, is there a simple way to get rid of them? These green decks usually drop 4-5 land by turn 3 and pose a huge problem for 2/2 or 3/3 black zombies and instant removal cards. 
Another quick question: I realized that hexproof creatures such as Dungrove Elder pose a problem for zombie decks especially after turn 3-5. Since they are hexproof, is there a simple way to get rid of them?

Well there's two ways of get rid of those pesky shroud/hexproof creatures. Make them sac it via Tribute to Hunger/Geth's Verdict or you can wipe the field via Black Sun's Zenith/Life's Finale. Anytype of removal that doesn't "target" the creature can work.

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

Another quick question: I realized that hexproof creatures such as Dungrove Elder pose a problem for zombie decks especially after turn 3-5. Since they are hexproof, is there a simple way to get rid of them?

Well there's two ways of get rid of those pesky shroud/hexproof creatures. Make them sac it via Tribute to Hunger/Geth's Verdict or you can wipe the field via Black Sun's Zenith/Life's Finale. Anytype of removal that doesn't "target" the creature can work.

I can see how Tribute to Hunger or Geth's Verdict would work. Those are great solutions. However, I think hexproof would protect against Black Sun's Zenith/Life's Finale . Is that correct?
I'm working on a heartless summoning zombies deck

4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Adaptive automaton
4 Cemetary Reaper
3 Skinrender
2 Phyrexian metamorh
3 Vengeful pharoh
2 Grave titan

3 heartless sommoning
1 doomblade
1 victim of night
1 Go For the throat
1 dismember
2 tribute to hunger
2 moan of the unhallowed 
3 lashwrithe     

automaton and metamorph just seem stupid with summoning, paying 1 for a lord or a copy of a lord/fattie is awsome.
splashing green for glissa might be fun if your running enough artifacts.
Sign In to post comments