5 Mono-Colored Innistrad Decks: The Pentagram

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to build 5 equally powered mono-colored decks from the Innistrad set. Each deck has access to 4 of each common/uncommon/rare card (excluding rare artifacts and rare lands) as well as 2 of each mythic rare (excluding planeswalkers and multi-colored creatures). The goal is to get these 60 card decks fairly equal in power level for a pentagram format game. In this format, players sit in order of the MTG color wheel. Players may only attack enemy colors (the enemies sit across the table from you; allies to your right and left). To win the game, you must defeat both of your opponents.

I've already played two rounds with my playgroup. We all constructed our decks individually, and since then I've spent some time working out the following decklists. I'd appreciate if anyone has any suggestions for the following decks in the realm of strengthening individual decks or suggestions on how to balance them. There are a lot of cards that aren't in the lists below, so there could be some drastic changes to any of these decks.

So far, red seemed to be the weakest and slowest in the group (but it could have been bad card draw). Blue also seems to be a challenging build for me.

Keep in mind the opposing/enemy colors. (White's enemies are Black and Red, Green's enemies are Blue and Black, etc.)
Also, there are 5 players- lots of Morbid triggers.
----------------------------------------
Whit
e - See Cardpool

Blue - See Cardpool
[Deck]
Creatures:
4* Delver of Secrets
4* Mindshrieker
2* Invisible Stalker
4* Ludevic's Test Subject
3* Cackling Counterpart
2* Skaab Ruinator
3* Undead Alchemist

Spells:
4* Silent Departure
2* Think Twice
4* Forbidden Alchemy
4* Dissipate

Lands:
21* Island
3* Shimmering Grotto
[/Deck]
Black - See Cardpool
[Deck]
Creatures:
4* Typhoid Rats
4* Diregraf Ghoul
4* Skirsdag High Priest
4* Walking Corpse
2* Falkenrath Noble
4* Bloodline Keeper
3* Bloodgift Demon
1* Reaper from the Abyss

Spells:
4* Victim of Night
2* Heartless Summoning
2* Tribute to Hunger
2* Unburial Rites

Lands:
24* Swamp
[/Deck]
Red - See Cardpool
[Deck]
Creatures:
4* Stromkirk Noble
2* Bloodcrazed Neonate
4* Rakish Heir
4* Kruin Outlaw
2* Instigator Gang
2* Falkenrath Marauders

Spells:
4* Curse of Stalked Prey
4* Brimstone Volley
4* Traitorous Blood
4* Blasphemous Act

Artifacts:
2* Inquisitor's Flail

Lands:
24* Mountain
[/deck]
Green - See Cardpool
[Deck]
Creatures:
4* Avacyn's Pilgrim
4* Ambush Viper
4* Boneyard Wurm
4* Darkthicket Wolf
4* Splinterfright
4* Kessig Cagebreakers
2* Essence of the Wild

Spells:
4* Prey Upon
2* Travel Preparations
4* Mulch

Land:
24* Forest
[/deck]

outside of the set opponents it would look something like
       Power
W       3
U        1
B         2
R         2
G        2

However red relies on being able to break though enemy defenses early and you havent deigned to give them much removal or ability to break through.
so white should win 80% becauise it gets early defenders that grow faster than red, altho blue should still get a healthy beating. 

I dont think essence belongs in the green deck. and travel preparations belong in GW, 4 white sources is too little to make it worth it.

heartless summoning is an odd choice for black as well
outside of the set opponents it would look something like
       Power
W       3
U        1
B         2
R         2
G        2

Rawsugar, I see you make a number of quality posts on this forum and I appreciate your help. How do you come up with these numbers? Are you calculating something, or are these just estimates you've made on power levels? I agree with you about the typical red strategy, but this set is a bit lacking in the low cost and burn spells. Perhaps Red would benifit from Geistflame and /or Devil's Play for some early removal? Blasphemous Act is a bomb that I haven't been able to play yet, but clearing a board for some higher CC creatures was my original plan.

I don't know where to start with helping out my blue deck...

about red deck, why not add Reckless Waif when you are running Kruin outlaw?

I tried out Reckless Waif in the first rounds of testing, and found that I never got to attack with a transformed Reckless Waif. He just doesn't do anything as a 1/1 vanilla. Also, Green wasn't getting very much transform action either. Seems like a wasted slot. If you have suggestions on strategy, though, maybe that would help me. Perhaps including Instigator Gang isn't the best idea without many other humans or werewolves, but I couldn't find a better card for the slot..

*I'm editing my original post and creating hyperlinks to The Gatherer for each colors respective cardpool for easier reference.