DM gave me a missing eye... Not quite sure what to do.

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
Due to a unique spot of RPing and a sticky situation for my character, she now has a missing left eye.

I proposed this in the Rules forum and was directed here.

My DM and I are unsure what kind of penalty would go with a missing eye and are looking for a little guidance in the matter.

Thanks all.

Nominrath 
With a person's sight usually at 20/20, I'd say that you now have a harder time with depth perception. I'd say a -2 to all rolls except damage.
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/8.jpg)

That's what I was thinking. Kind of like everyone having permanent cover...
though I would sugest the penalty be temperary maybe till rp situation or maybe a level up or two after that your char should be able to learn how to adjuct to the new handicap specialy for aimed ranged attacks where most people close one eye anyhows
An' ye harm none, do what ye will
Good ideas... Thanks!
Honestly I think -2 to everything is a bad idea and would unduly nerf your character. I agree with the previous poster on being able to adjust to the problem.
I also agree. Did you ever play metal gear solid 3? Right after Snake loses his eye, it shows him having some difficulty with his depth perception. By the end of the game, he has adjusted to it and has no problem.

Another option is just to use magic to regrow the missing eye.
Owner and Proprietor of the House of Trolls. God of ownership and possession.
The traditional response is to get a silly hat, a nice ship, and an annoying parrot.
I think something like a -2 penalty to Perception or maybe everyone more then 3 squares away having automatic concealment should be enough. I see no reason why you'd take a penalty to remembering something about some guy you once met just because your depth perception is off.

Nor is it going to interfere with your ability to hear, smell or touch. And it won't likely interfere with your ability to swing a sword either.
Epic Dungeon Master

Want to give your players a kingdom of their own? I made a 4e rule system to make it happen!

Your Kingdom awaits!
Update 5th Sep 2011: Added a sample kingdom, as well as sample of play.
In our game we have a crit chart where we roll a percentage on crits, and something happens.  Losing an eye is an option.  And funny enough happed to one of my friend's character all the time until he decided to not bother getting the eye fixed, haha.

Anyway whenever someone lost an eye they generally got a -2 penalty to attack rolls for the rest of the encounter.  And depending on if we got back to a city where it could be fixed, they may have the penalty for the next battle or two if they happened shortly after.  But usually after the battle it was done, and one or two others they'd lose the penalty as they got use to the lose of the eye.  So that'd be my suggestion, as others have said.

Though if the DM is going to stick you with a permanent penalty I would suggest a means of getting it repaired.   
Personaly I would say that the char suffers a -2 Circumstance penalty to  checks that involve sight and grants combat advantage untill eather x in game time goes by, or untill he levels with the level representing his ability to adapt to the changed perception.

On the flip side if this was roleplayed well I would give bonus xp for it
I actually have a few questions before I tell you what I would advise you do.

First, I'm assuming he gave you a missing eye in D&D or a RP game, not in real life.

Do you know who this missing eye might belong to?
Does it look like the eye of a human, or another creature? (missing eye of a dragon? that could be worth something?)
How is it stored? In a glass jar? vial? other container?
I might start asking around at local inn's and tavern's and see if you can find out who may have recently lost an eye. You may be able to return it for a reward!
Ignore it, save for roleplay - if you fail a perception check, or are hit by a reflex attack, it's because it was on your blind side, that sort of thing.

Roleplaying restrictions do not require mechanical effects, when there are no rules to support such effects.  There are no rules for losing eyes, so there aren't rules for the effects of losing eyes.

Role play it.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Ignore it, save for roleplay - if you fail a perception check, or are hit by a reflex attack, it's because it was on your blind side, that sort of thing.

Roleplaying restrictions do not require mechanical effects, when there are no rules to support such effects.  There are no rules for losing eyes, so there aren't rules for the effects of losing eyes.

Role play it.

THIS.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
question I never asked which could be relivent did the char lose the eye becouse of a dumb move or did he manage to only lose a eye becouse of a particularly smart move or even did he lose a eye as a resault of the dice and not particularly becouse of a dumb or smart move.

Reason I ask is if the eye loss was becouse the player had the char do something less then smart like try to fight something that was oviously to strong, then it makes sence as a dm to include a penalty, if the eye loss was do to pure rp and the player did particularly good but it made sence rp wise to lose the eye I would avoid a penalty and fluff the loss with bonus xp for rping the lost eye well

it is was just do to bad dice and maybe dm niceness as aposed to what would have ben a death then I would maybe give a penalty for a short while but allow the penalty to go away or the eye to be restored relitivly quickly

so basicaly I guess realisticaly I would base the effect off the situation if I had to write a rule though then my previouse responce would stand for a as a rule type of thing
Find one of those replacement eyes. Thats probably what he is gearing up for anyway.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
I actually have a few questions before I tell you what I would advise you do.

First, I'm assuming he gave you a missing eye in D&D or a RP game, not in real life.

Do you know who this missing eye might belong to?
Does it look like the eye of a human, or another creature? (missing eye of a dragon? that could be worth something?)
How is it stored? In a glass jar? vial? other container?
I might start asking around at local inn's and tavern's and see if you can find out who may have recently lost an eye. You may be able to return it for a reward!

First, you assume right, it is in D&D.

Second, my character did not receive someone/something's missing eye like a gift or something; she had one of her eyes taken. 
question I never asked which could be relivent did the char lose the eye becouse of a dumb move or did he manage to only lose a eye becouse of a particularly smart move or even did he lose a eye as a resault of the dice and not particularly becouse of a dumb or smart move.

Reason I ask is if the eye loss was becouse the player had the char do something less then smart like try to fight something that was oviously to strong, then it makes sence as a dm to include a penalty, if the eye loss was do to pure rp and the player did particularly good but it made sence rp wise to lose the eye I would avoid a penalty and fluff the loss with bonus xp for rping the lost eye well

it is was just do to bad dice and maybe dm niceness as aposed to what would have ben a death then I would maybe give a penalty for a short while but allow the penalty to go away or the eye to be restored relitivly quickly

so basicaly I guess realisticaly I would base the effect off the situation if I had to write a rule though then my previouse responce would stand for a as a rule type of thing

Character lost the eye by getting in a little over her head. She managed to talk her way out, but a little interrogation cost her an eye. It was a complicated situation of smarts, dumbness, instinct, bad rolls, role-playing, being in the wrong place at the wrong time... you know, one of those RP situations that isn't easily narrowed down to just one cause and effect.
I commend you on being a good sport on this. Because of what I usually see on these forums I expected otherwise.

If you're looking for a +SIMPLE+ mechanical penalty resembling existing ones I suggest :

You get a -2 to all ranged attacks and perception until you reach 3 milestones.

It would be reasonable, and probably encouraged in 4e world to simply rollplay the effect instead.
I commend you on being a good sport on this. Because of what I usually see on these forums I expected otherwise. If you're looking for a +SIMPLE+ mechanical penalty resembling existing ones I suggest : You get a -2 to all ranged attacks and perception until you reach 3 milestones. It would be reasonable, and probably encouraged in 4e world to simply rollplay the effect instead.

This is what I was meaning when I said the -2 penalty. It would also work for Acrobatics and Athletics checks as they are usually based, in part, by sight.
I am White/Green
I am White/Green
I am both orderly and instinctive. I value community and group identity, defining myself by the social group I am a part of. At best, I'm selfless and strong-willed; at worst, I'm unoriginal and mindless.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/8.jpg)

Not gonna read everything above here, but here's the best way to do this for the first 2 levels:

Minus x to passive perception (not perception checks)
Treat all enemies further than 5 or 10 squares away from you as having partial concealment.

This is not "right" or "thematically right", it's on par with 4e, and that's all this needs to be. 4e Is a really simplified version of the world, so try to think like that: simplified.

peace out. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

Look at my Playable Illithid, my Monster Generating excel file , my Lifestealer in progresss (Heroic tier almost complete!) , our Improved Orc, our Improving Kenku and our Improving Duergar
Also, take a look at my friend's Improved Minotaur, Gadren's amazing Arcane Archer and of course the Avatar Project
More links! Qube's Block Builder, Classless D&D and the characters I've created using the classless system.