You Build the Character #26 - Bounty Hunters

This contest is now closed.

Hi everyone, and welcome back to You Build the Character.

This month, we're doing things a bit differently. Rather than challenging you to build a specific character, I instead want you to build a bounty hunter. Any bounty hunter, as long as they're canon (ie from the movies or the EU) and not your own creation.

You can even enter multiple times, provided you follow the rules below.

You have until 11.59pm (PT) on Thursday 24 November to post your RPG stats, and any notes you want to post explaining your decisions. Once submissions have closed, all forum members will have until 11.59pm (PT) on Thursday 8 December to vote for their favourite. Whichever build receives the most votes will win.

The prize for winning is having your stats enshrined in the YBtC Hall of Fame, as well as the bragging rights.

The following rules apply to all submissions:

1. All builds must be created according to RAW, with no house rules (no single Athletics skill, no bonus feats for bloodlines etc).

2. You may use "unlimited" point buy for ability scores, provided each score is between 3 and 18 at first level (before racial and age adjustments).

3. You are free to use material from all official Saga Edition books, up to and including The Unknown Regions.

4. You may enter more than once. An entry can consist of up to three characters. Each individual forum post containing stat blocks counts as an entry unless otherwise specified.

5. You may not enter more than one set of stats for the same character.

6. You may not enter a character who has already been the subject of their own competition.

7. When creating stat blocks, use the species traits from official WotC sources. If a species never received official stats, use the ones from Saga-Edition.com. If there are no stats on Saga-Edition.com, you may create your own, but make sure to include them with your stat block.

8. You may change your stats at any point up until submissions close, at which point any edited stats will be disqualified.

Have fun everyone, and may the Force be with you. Smile

Josh Cheesman - journalist and Star Wars fan. Visit the YBtC Hall of Fame to see the winners of the Praxeum's regular You Build the Character competitions. Need roleplaying stats for a miniature you're using in your Star Wars game? Try the [Saga] Star Wars Miniatures RPG Stats thread. Check out the The Great Mess Hall Food Fight, the Star Wars thread that can't be derailed. Any and all discussions welcome! I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast.
Since this is the first YBtC to be a category rather than an individual, I'll just go over some of the finer points of the rules.

You can enter as many times as you like. Each entry can consist of up to three characters. Unless you say otherwise, I'll assume characters submitted in the same forum post are a single entry.

You can't create more than one set of stats for the same character. However, it's fine to stat up a character that someone else has already covered earlier in the thread.

You can't enter any characters who have been the subject of their own competition (so no Boba Fett, for example).

As far as species traits go, use official ones if available, and ones from Saga-Edition.com if there are no official ones. If there aren't any on Saga-Edition.com either, make up your own (or use someone else's), and just make sure you include the species write up in your post. Let me know if you need any help finding species stats, either in this thread or by PM.

Finally, a note on voting. When you vote, you vote for your favourite entry. However, the winner will be the board member who gets the most votes overall (only one of their entries will go in the Hall of Fame though). Basically I don't want people to be penalised for making loads of entries.

Oh yeah, and no disintegrations. Wink 

If any of this is unclear, don't hesitate to ask me.
Josh Cheesman - journalist and Star Wars fan. Visit the YBtC Hall of Fame to see the winners of the Praxeum's regular You Build the Character competitions. Need roleplaying stats for a miniature you're using in your Star Wars game? Try the [Saga] Star Wars Miniatures RPG Stats thread. Check out the The Great Mess Hall Food Fight, the Star Wars thread that can't be derailed. Any and all discussions welcome! I never listen to the Order 66 Podcast.
Hello !

Bossk, Bounty Hunter CL 13
"You can't pay enough for a bounty hunter of my expertise."
―Bossk

Medium Trandoshan scout 5/soldier 3/bounty hunter 5
Init +9; Senses darkvision; Perception +12
Languages Basic, Dosh, Shyriiwook

Defenses Ref 21 (flat-footed 21), Fort 28, Will 24; Uncanny Dodge I, Vehicular Combat
hp 138; second wind +34/69; Threshold 28

Speed  6 squares

Melee unarmed +14 (1d4+9)
Ranged grenade launcher +14 (4d6+6 stun, 2-square burst) or
Ranged flamethrower +14 (3d6+6 fire, 6-square cone) or
Ranged sporting blaster pistol +14 (3d4+6) or
Ranged thermal detonator +14 (8d6+6, 4-square burst) or
Ranged blaster rifle +14 (3d8+6) or
Ranged blaster rifle +9 (3d8+6) with autofire
Base Atk +11; Grp +16
Atk Options autofire (blaster rifle), Careful Shot, Deadeye, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Trip
Special Actions Shake it Off

Abilities Str 16, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 12, Cha 8
Special Qualities Familiar Enemies, familiar foe +2, limb regeneration
Talents Acute Senses, Demolitionist, Expert Grappler, Expert Tracker, Familiar Enemies, Hyperspace Savant, Improved Initiative, Uncanny Dodge I
Feats Armor Proficiency (light), Careful Shot, Deadeye, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (flamethrower), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Shake it Off, Toughness, Trip, Vehicular Combat, Weapon Proficiency (heavy weapons, pistols, rifles, simple weapons)
Skills Endurance +13, Initiative +9 (may reroll but must keep the result of the reroll even if worse), Knowledge (galactic lore) +12, Mechanics +12, Perception +12 (may reroll but must keep the result of the reroll even if worse), Pilot +14, Survival +12
Possessions binder cuffs, blaster rifle, flamethrower with spare chemical cartridge, grenade launcher with 9 spare stun grenades, padded flight suit (+3 armor, +1 equipment), sporting blaster pistol, 2 thermal detonators, utility belt (3 day food supply, medpac, tool kit, power pack, energy cell, glow rod, comlink), Hound's Tooth (modified YV-666 freighter with a repellent odor)

Come and see my Star Wars Character Gallery! Please add a comment Winner of You Build the Character #26 Bounty Hunters Winner of YBtC #39 A New Hope
Woohoo!  Finally a bounty hunter contest! Aurra Sing and Cad Bane, coming up as soon as I can stat them.
Yes, I know I misspelled "Jensaarai".
Show
You are Red/Blue!
I am Red/Blue
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and emotional. I value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, I'm innovative and intuitive. At worst, I'm scattered and unpredictable.
Is Cad Bane canon?
I'd think so, he is in SWTCW the TV series. I think that makes him about as canon any other Bounty Hunter in the Movies.
Come, you hounds of the dark! Come to your deaths! Hurl your power at me! I deny you! I defy you! I am a Knight of the Empire, and I am your doom!" ―Draco, while battling a legion of Sith on Korriban "You dare interrupt me! Only I interrupt me! Like just then. I'm speaking with someone! We'll talk later. Or not. When is later, exactly? Not now, I'm sure of that." —Sheogorath, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion Check out my photos! 1,500 and adding! Feel free to comment. 1,500+Photos And a great MANY thanks to all the artists that created these awesome pictures!
Sorry, I should make this clear. When I said "canon", I was referring to movies and EU. Any bounty hunter who has appeared in any Star Wars story before is fine.

I just didn't want to people making up their own characters, since Darth_Scorpion already covered this in You Make the... Contest #5.

"Amanaman"

Amanaman was the nickname given to a specific male Amani present at Jabba the Hutt's palace; his real name was unknown on Tatooine. Amanaman was a successful bounty hunter.  Amanaman resembled a yellow, giant, shriveled planarian, with long gangly arms, and a green back and stripe pattern. Amanin were also known by the colloquial name "head hunters" due to their tendency to collect their victims' heads as souvenirs, and Amanaman was no exception; for a time around 4 ABY he wielded a staff from which three prized heads grotesquely hung, and kept a dried decapitated corpse, all from unidentified victims, at his side. At his most, he collected 35 heads displayed on posts around the palace complex.

"Amanaman"        CL 8
Amanin Scout 3 / Scoundrel 1 / Soldier 3 / Bounty Hunter 1
Force 10, Dark Side Rating 4
Init +10; Senses Perception +9
Languages Basic, Amanese, Huttese
Defenses Ref 23 (flat-footed 26), Fort 21, Will 19
hp 59; Threshold 21
Speed 6 squares
Melee unarmed +9 (1d4+7)
Melee Amanin Double-Ended Spear +10 (1d8+10)
Ranged blaster pistol +7 (3d6+4)
Base Atk +6; Grp +9
Atk Options Dual Weapon Mastery I, Powerful Charge, Running Attack, Weapon Focus (simple), Familiar Foe, Dastardly Strike, Devastating Attack (simple), Weapon Specialization (Simple), 2-square Reach
Special Actions Improved Stealth, Hidden Movement, Nowhere to Hide, Roll, Expert Climber
Abilities Str 17, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 12
Talents Improved Stealth, Hidden Movement, Dastardly Strike, Devastating Attack (simple), Weapon Specialization (Simple), Nowhere to Hide
Feats Skill Training (Climb), Dual Weapon Mastery I, Powerful Charge, Weapon Proficiency (simple, pistols & rifles), Running Attack, Weapon Focus (simple)
Skills Climb +12, Gather Info +10, Initiative +10, Knowledges (Life Sciences & Galactic Lore) +10, Perception +9, Stealth +10
Possessions Amanin Double-Ended Spear*, 3 desiccated heads, 1 corpse

* Italian Spaghetti Western hero Django (after whom Jango Fett was named, incidentally) was a gun runner / bounty hunter who dragged a coffin around (a quirk parodied in an episode of Cowboy Bebop). The Amanin bounty hunter known only as "Amanaman" drags a corpse around in a suspiciously reminiscient move. He also dangles the dried heads of three victims from his staff, which is rendered more as a double-pointed spear and favored weapon of the Amanin in some illustrations. I liked that unique weapon, and developed it for Amanaman:
Amanin Double-Pointed Spear
Type: Exotic Melee or Thrown weapon (Simple for Amanin),
Weight: 2 kg,
Size: Large,
Availability: Rare,
Cost: n/a

N.B.:
The Amanaman stat block uses the following official Wizards of the Coast species template for the Amanin, which once appeared on the WotC Star Wars web site:

Amanin Species Template:
Ability Modifiers
: +2 Str, –2 Int, –2 Cha
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Expert Climber: Due to their arboreal background, Amanin may choose to take 10 on Climb checks even when distracted or threatened. Primitive: Amanin do not gain Weapon Proficiency (pistols, rifles, or heavy weapons) as starting feats at 1st level, even if their class normally grants those feats.
Reach: Unlike most Medium-sized species, Amanin have a natural reach of 2 squares.
Resilient: Amanin gain a +1 species bonus to their Fortitude Defense due to their natural resilience.
Roll: When using the run action, Amanin may roll into a ball to move at greater speed. When rolling, Amanin take a –5 penalty on Perception checks, but their speed is doubled.
Languages: Amanese.

FAN-MADE SAGA ED. ADVENTURES Scores of free, fan-made Star Wars adventures for Saga Ed. ●DATHOMIR FIELD GUIDE A Saga Ed. sourcebook for adventures set on Dathomir ●LIVE ACTION FILM CHARACTERS SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for hundreds of characters from the live action films ●"ALL-PURPOSE" SAGA EDITION SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for NPCs, droids, ships/vehicles, weapons/gear, etc. ●SAGA EDITION SPECIES SOURCEBOOK Official & fan-made Saga stats for your favorite species ●THE CENTRALITY: A SAGA EDITION GUIDE AND GAZETTEER As featured in The Lando Calrissian Adventures ●THE CORPORATE SECTOR SOURCEBOOK As featured in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels and original edition of the Star Wars RPG ●SAGA EDITION CRIB SHEETS Various fan-made Saga Ed. Crib Sheets for players & GMs
Two weeks now until submissions close.

Just to check, have I made the rules too complex? Is that putting people off from entering? Cause I don't mind simplifying them if that's the case.
Sorry, I should make this clear. When I said "canon", I was referring to movies and EU. Any bounty hunter who has appeared in any Star Wars story before is fine.

Would someone who was very briefly a bounty hunter count?
Here's my quick attempt at statting up Aurra Sing.

Aurra Sing  CL 12
Female Near-Human Scout 5/Jedi 3/Soldier 1/Bounty Hunter 3

Destiny Destruction 3; Force 12/12; Dark Side 7
Init +14; Senses Perception +7
Languages Basic, Huttese
Defenses Ref 29 (26 Flat-Footed), Fort 25, Will 23
HP ; Threshold 25
Immune
Speed 6 squares
Melee Lightsaber +13, 2d8+7 damage
or
Melee Lightsabers +11/+11, 2d8+7
or
Ranged Blaster Pistol +13, 3d6+6
or
Ranged Blaster Pistols +11/+11, 3d6+6
or
Ranged Blaster Rifle +13, 3d8+6
Base Atk +10; Grp
Atk Options Dual Weapon Mastery II
Force Powers Known Battle Strike, Dark Rage, Force Lightning, Move Object
Abilities Str 12, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 14
Talents Acute Senses, Armored Defense, Deflect, Hunter's Mark, Keen Shot, Lightsaber Defense, Notorious
Feats Armor Prof. (light), Dual Weapon Mastery I, Dual Weapon Mastery II, Force Sensitive, Force Training x2, Improved Defenses, Precise Shot, Vehicular Combat, W.P. (Lightsabers, Pistols, Rifles, Simple.)
Skills Climb +12, Initiative +14, Jump +12, Pilot +14, Stealth +14, Survival +12, Use the Force +13)
Possessions Swoop Bike, Lightsaber collection (none self built), blaster pistols, blaster rifle.  Bio-computer (Threats of the Galaxy).

All right, finally the rise of the bounty hunters! Time to get my hunt on. Cad Bane, Aurra Sing, Dengar, IG-88, the hardest part of this contest is going to be coalescing all my varied builds I have floating on my computer into something I can submit.
Winner of You Build the Character #8 - Yoda

Would someone who was very briefly a bounty hunter count?

I'd say sure.
FAN-MADE SAGA ED. ADVENTURES Scores of free, fan-made Star Wars adventures for Saga Ed. ●DATHOMIR FIELD GUIDE A Saga Ed. sourcebook for adventures set on Dathomir ●LIVE ACTION FILM CHARACTERS SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for hundreds of characters from the live action films ●"ALL-PURPOSE" SAGA EDITION SOURCEBOOK Saga stats for NPCs, droids, ships/vehicles, weapons/gear, etc. ●SAGA EDITION SPECIES SOURCEBOOK Official & fan-made Saga stats for your favorite species ●THE CENTRALITY: A SAGA EDITION GUIDE AND GAZETTEER As featured in The Lando Calrissian Adventures ●THE CORPORATE SECTOR SOURCEBOOK As featured in Brian Daley's Han Solo novels and original edition of the Star Wars RPG ●SAGA EDITION CRIB SHEETS Various fan-made Saga Ed. Crib Sheets for players & GMs
Just one week left until submissions close.
Submissions are now closed. Voting is now open for the winning entry. Each forum member may vote once for their favourite entry in the contest. Post your vote in this thread, and remember to include the screenname of the person you're voting for. You have until 11.59pm (PT) on Thursday 8 December to vote.
Good luck to everyone who entered, and may the best stats win. Smile
Also, let me know who you'd like to see in the next contest. Since this month was movies, next month's subject will be from the EU.
My vote is for Robshanti.
I suggest Roosh Drexl, Peppi Bow, Suu Lawquane, TX-20 tactical droid, Cham Syndulla, Orn Free Taa,...
Come and see my Star Wars Character Gallery! Please add a comment Winner of You Build the Character #26 Bounty Hunters Winner of YBtC #39 A New Hope
My vote goes to Derffrombelgium.

Next contest, we stil haven't done Zayne Carrick. Perhaps Bastila or Satele Shan would inspire some builds from the video game crowd. Just throwing a few names out there.
Children believe what we tell them, they have complete faith in us. I ask of you a little of this childlike simplicity, and to bring us luck, let me speak four truly magic words: "A long time ago...." (Jean Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast) Winner of You Build the Character #12, YbtC #22, YbtC #24, YbtC #28 and YbtC #35 Winner of You Make the... Contest #8
I vote for Hayabusa's Aurra Sing.

JOIN US AT THE NEW STAR WARS SAGA EDITION COMMUNITY: THE SAGA CONTINUES!

Compiled files of all Star Wars Saga Edition resource documents & reference tools - NPCs, character sheets, Dawn of Defiance, Force and lightsaber form power cards, Jedi Counseling articles, NPC statblocks, Saga Index to all feats, talents, species, weapons, etc, Star Wars articles and web enhancements

Ahhh, I've got to start keeping track of these contests better! Sigh. Anyway...

...I vote for Derffrombelgium's Bossk. And for the next contest, Darth Bane?
Yes, I know I misspelled "Jensaarai".
Show
You are Red/Blue!
I am Red/Blue
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and emotional. I value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what I create. At best, I'm innovative and intuitive. At worst, I'm scattered and unpredictable.
Hello !

Bossk, Bounty Hunter CL 13
"You can't pay enough for a bounty hunter of my expertise."
―Bossk

This is my vote right here.  Good writeup.

I say we have some sort of thing from the Old Republic era for the next one.
One week left until voting closes.
The new YBtC contest, Cad Bane, is now up. Check it out here.
OK everyone, voting is now closed. And the winner is... Derffrombelgium!

Congratulations Derf, your stats will be added to the Hall of Fame. Feel free to put "Winner of You Build the Character #26" in your signature.

Thank you to everyone who entered and voted, and be sure to check out the new contest.
Thank you very much everybody !
Have an happy day and a very good game.
Sign In to post comments