11/07/2011 Draft Simulator

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I ended up taking the Gideon's Lawkeeper over Gorehorn Minotaurs pack 1.  Got a solid WR deck that no one would be ashamed to play.  Second time through, I took the bloodthirster first and got the same BR deck as above(with the exception of taking Incinerate over SBB pack 2 and the dual land from the unexciting pack 3).

I ended up with a black-red bloodthirst deck, like you guys.
But I doubted to take the Gideon's Lawkeeper as first pick, which would caused me to end up in white for sure, because that color was pretty open too I think...

Here 's what I drafted. I'm happy with it, I would like to do this draft irl too :-)

Round 1: Gorehorn Minotaurs Stormblood Berserker Goblin Arsonist Blood Ogre Shock Goblin Piker Goblin Tunneler Shock Tormented Soul Duskhunter Bat Disentomb Goblin Piker Angel's Mercy Taste of Blood Island

Round 2: Incinerate Sengir Vampire Royal Assassin Duskhunter Bat Fog Distress Gorehorn Minotaurs Crimson Mage Lava Axe Blood Seeker Tormented Soul Zombie Infestation Wall of Torches Rites of Flourishing Forest

Round 3: Goblin Arsonist Goblin Arsonist Sorin's Thirst Chandra's Outrage Shock Duskhunter Bat Disentomb Goblin Piker Goblin Tunneler Fiery Hellhound Levitation Dragon's Claw Demon's Horn Dragon's Claw Island

P1P1 is a choice between lawkeeper, adept and minotaurs. I chose the minotaurs because there is no other red in the pack - you are not sending anyone into your colors.

P1P2 is slightly harder - wring flesh is the better card, but I chose the beserkers to ensure a clearer run at red.

After that it became autodraft RB Bloodthirst.

Red-Black Bloodthirst

Creatures (17)
2 x Gorehorn Minotaurs
2 x Stormblood Berserker
3 x Goblin Arsonist
1 x Blood Ogre
1 x Goblin Piker
2 x Tormented Soul
2 x Duskhunter Bat
1 x Vengeful Pharaoh
1 x Sengir Vampire
1 x Royal Assassin
1 x Crimson Mage

Spells (7)
2 x Shock
1 x Act of Treason
1 x Chandra's Outrage
1 x Reverberate
1 x Lava Axe
1 x Disentomb

Lands (16)
10 x Mountain
6 x Swamp
1 x Dragonskull Simmit

Sideboard
Goblin Arsonist
Goblin Piker
Duskhunter Bat
Zombie Infestation
Taste of Blood
Goblin Tunneler
Plummet
Deathmark
Deathmark
Wall of Torches
Fiery Hellhound
Dragon's Claw
Demon's Horn
Dragon's Claw

Creatures:
Tormented Soul
Goblin Fireslinger
2x Goblin Arsonist
Blood Seeker
Crimson Mage
Goblin Piker
2x Duskhunter Bat
Stormblood Berserker
Warpath Ghoul
Fiery Hellhound
Royal Assassin
3x Gorehorn Minotaurs
Sengir Vampire

Spells:
Shock
Reverberate
Fling
Incinerate
Slaughter Cry
Chandra's Outrage

Land:
9x Mountain
7x Swamp
Dragonskull Summit

Relevant Sideboard:
Deathmark

I started R/G but jumped ship when I saw so much black bloodthirst coming.  After that, the picks are pretty easy.  Went Gorehorn over the Ogre, but that's just personal taste.  Pretty solid deck.
Just like everybody else here, R/B bloodthirst, easy.  But then again looking at some of the other cards floating around Sun Titan, Garruk, Primal Hunter, Day of Judgment, Archon of Justice, I can see why R/B was open.  I feel really stupid though...the first time through I completely missed seeing the Royal Assassin.  XDDDD

Also P2P1 is hard.  Incinerate vs. Berserker vs. Pharaoh.  I took the bomb, but who knows.  And Lol of lols, the berserker tabled. XDDD

Round 1:
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Stormblood Berserker
Goblin Arsonist
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Shock
Hideous Visage
Act of Treason
Goblin Fireslinger
Tormented Soul
Duskhunter Bat
Disentomb
Goblin Piker
Zombie Infestation
Taste of Blood
Island

Round 2:
Vengeful Pharaoh
Sengir Vampire
Royal Assassin
Duskhunter Bat
Lava Axe
Goblin Tunneler
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Crimson Mage
Stormblood Berserker
Blood Seeker
Tormented Soul
Redirect
Visions of Beyond
Rites of Flourishing
Forest

Round 3:
Dragonskull Summit
Goblin Arsonist
Sorin's Thirst
Chandra's Outrage
Gravedigger
Duskhunter Bat
Disentomb
Reverberate
Goblin Arsonist
Sundial of the Infinite
Levitation
Jace's Erasure
Lifelink
Lifelink
Island

Creatures (18)

Non-Creatures (5)
[deck]
1x Shock
1x Sorin's Thirst
1x Act of Treason
1x Chandra's Outrage
1x Lava Axe
[/deck]

Land (23)
[deck]
1x Dragonskull Summit
8x Mountain
8x Swamp
[/deck]

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

Round 1:
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Stormblood Berserker
Goblin Arsonist
Blood Ogre
Shock
Goblin Piker
Goblin Tunneler
Goblin Fireslinger
Tormented Soul
Duskhunter Bat
Disentomb
Goblin Piker
Zombie Infestation
Taste of Blood
Island

Round 2:
Stormblood Berserker
Child of Night
Royal Assassin
Duskhunter Bat
Lava Axe
Distress
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Crimson Mage
Brink of Disaster
Blood Seeker
Tormented Soul
Zombie Infestation
Visions of Beyond
Rites of Flourishing
Forest

Round 3:
Goblin Arsonist
Dark Favor
Deathmark
Chandra's Outrage
Deathmark
Duskhunter Bat
Slaughter Cry
Reverberate
Goblin Tunneler
Goblin Arsonist
Firebreathing
Dragon's Claw
Demon's Horn
Dragon's Claw
Island

Pretty sick R/B bloodthirst deck there.  I did take Blood Ogre over 1 Minotaur, Stormblood over Vengeful Pharoh/Incinerate, and  a Dark Favor over another Arsonist (that wheeled anyway), apart from that the picks are absurdly straightforward.

The black was forced here.  Ithink you would have had better options by going with the strognest 2nd color without bias.

My picks.

Round 1:
Gideon's Lawkeeper
Stormfront Pegasus
Goblin Arsonist
Blood Ogre
Shock
Goblin Piker
Stave Off
Shock
Tormented Soul
Armored Warhorse
Trollhide
Ice Cage
Zombie Infestation
Taste of Blood
Island

Round 2:
Stormblood Berserker
Spirit Mantle
Griffin Sentinel
Crimson Mage
Slaughter Cry
Stonehorn Dignitary
Blood Ogre
Lava Axe
Lava Axe
Plummet
Lightning Elemental
Demystify
Visions of Beyond
Rites of Flourishing
Forest

Round 3:
Goblin Arsonist
Griffin Sentinel
Stormfront Pegasus
Circle of Flame
Mighty Leap
Griffin Sentinel
Pride Guardian
Goblin Piker
Pride Guardian
Goblin Arsonist
Llanowar Elves
Jace's Erasure
Lifelink
Dragon's Claw
Island

I don't rely as much on specific cards that help get bloodthirst since white has the pegasus and griffin sentinel. Pack 2 pick 1 was quite a dilemma though. Stormblood, pacifism or incinerate. I went with Stormblood.

Gideon's Lawkeeper
2xStormfront Pegasus
2xGoblin Arsonist
2xBlood Ogre
2xGoblin Piker
Armored Warhorse
Stormblood Berserker
3xGriffin Sentinel
Pride Guardian
Crimson Mage
Lightning Elemental

2xShock
Slaughter Cry
Mighty Leap
Stave Off
Lava Axe
Spirit Mantle

deck
creatures (17):
acidic slime
goblin arsonist x3
duskhunter bat x2
royal assassin
blood ogre
gorehorn minotaurs
cudgel troll
llanowar elves
runeclaw bear
stormblood berserker x2
garruk's companion
tormented soul
sacred wolf

other spells (6):
shock x2
chandra's outrage
trollhide
rampant growth
act of treason

land (17):
dragonskull summit
swamp x5
mountain x6
forest x5

i love drafting jund. bloodthirst was really powerful in this pool, and there were a couple of tricky picks; p1p1 in particular. 
Okay, I'm curious...

Little by little, year by year, this application gets "bigger and bigger" in the pop-up window it's in. It's now gotten to the point for me that I can't even click "start drafting". I use Firefox. Anyone get this problem? There's no scroll-bar on the pop-up, which would be REALLY helpful if there was.

Try explorer or Chrome. Some browsers do that. The only way around it is to zoom out. But then it looks weird.
So are we going to be getting M12 every monday until M13 comes out?  I'd rather see people's thoughts on 3xISD
Another bloodthirster here.

P1p1 Okay, interesting, do I go bloodthirst again this week or do I take the really good tapper? Or maybe the adept?
Well, I like aggressive so I take the minotaurs.
P1p2 Nice, the berserker really fits the plan
P1p3 Arsonist is good for the strategy. Carnage wurm is a lategame bomb but I hope to have finished off the opponent long before that.
P1p4 Sweet, another minotaur. The ogre is good too but the minotaur is more of a threat so I take that
P1p5 Shock, sweet. Removal or finisher.
P1p6 Maybe I need the piker to fill up my curve, not much else here
P1p7 Act of treason is good with staying aggressive
P1p8 Another shock, so far I am liking my choice. The goblin or fling would have been fine inclusions too but I feel the shock is the best option here (more versatile)
P1p9 Tormented soul, nice enabler of bloodthirst
P1p10 Duskhunter bat, and now we can also get airborn bloodthirst
P1p11 Disentomb
P1p12 Piker
P1p13 Zombie infestation
P1p14 Taste of blood
P1p15 Island

Oooooookay. I went with bloodthirst and so far this is smackdown quality for bloodthirst. Lets see what else
comes along

P2p1 Damn, difficult choice right off the bat. Incinerate or berserker? I know this is a bloodthirst deck but burning out my opponent really is good too
while I can also burn away a nasty creature if need be (like that troll I see there). I take incinerate
P2p2 Nice, bomb flier. Sengir vampire ftw.
P2p3 I cant believe what I am seeing, if this keeps going like this I am going to have so many quality cards that I am going to have to cut cards
I normally would auto-include. Assassin here obviously
P2p4 Hmmm, bat or vampire? Both are good, I decide to take the bat as it hs evasion so that would give me a better chance to also enable my other bloodthirsters
(or maybe some more flying defense if needed)
P2p5 Zombie goliath (in case I need another fairly large body)
P2p6 Distress
P2p7 Wow, look at that. Another choice between minotaurs or ogre....(allready have two bats). I'd take all three of them if I could but alas. Took some time to think about this
but I still don't know which one would be best. I decide to take the ogre to help make my curve as smooth as possible but it pains me to let that minotaur go.
P2p8 Crimson mage (this , if included, gives me more unpredictability)
P2p9 Lava axe could be a nice finisher
P2p10 Blood seeker
P2p11 Tormented soul. Sweet, my second and I could use a bit more on the low end of my curve
P2p12 Redirect
P2p13 Visions of beyond
P2p14 Rites of flourishing
P2p15 Forest

Right, I have never had a draft like this before. Some really hard decisions on some picks but allready got really good removal and good creatures. Curious to see what pack three brings

P3p1 Dragonskull summit. With so many good creatures and spells allready present, this is the obvious first pick for me as this helps smooth the balance between black and red mana
P3p2 Goblin arsonist. Nice enabler and early drop.
P3p3 Deathmark, really good for the sideboard
P3p4 Chandra's outrage. Almost happily clicked the vampire when I noticed this beauty hanging around.
P3p5 Another deathmark will make the next games against green/white decks so much easier
P3p6 O yes, another bat. Happy with that
P3p7 Disentomb, I like this card quite a bit in limited. Removal is scarce so getting your good stuff back can be frustrating for the opponent
P3p8 Reverberate (I got so many good instants I just might include this, will check that out when building my deck)
P3p9 Arsonist. Now I am sure I got good early curve
P3p10 Fiery hellhound
P3p11 Levitate, just to make sure I dont face a whole army of fliers
P3p12 Dragons claw
P3p13 Demons horn
P3p14 Dragons claw
P3p15 Island

That sums up my thoughts about the decisions I made. Did check out the picks of other players, there was a sick amount of bombs in this draft I think, will have to race severly hard to make sure those dont wreck me.

Round 1:
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Stormblood Berserker
Goblin Arsonist
Gorehorn Minotaurs
Shock
Goblin Piker
Act of Treason
Shock
Tormented Soul
Duskhunter Bat
Disentomb