Thread of the Spoilers of the Heroes of the Feywild

604 posts / 0 new
Last post
Book is in hand, here's stuff by the numbers.

3 new races with 5 racial utility power options each

4 new class builds

Barbarian - Berserker - Martial and Primal Defender and Striker, attunement to a particular climate, Defender Aura, defensive bonuses, a retribution power of "Vengeful Guardian" that puts more oomph on your MBA, and a 'Berserker Fury' that can be entered that will activate riders on some new attack powers.
 39 freely poachable class powers

Bard - Skald - Arcane and Martial Leader, Cha-MBA's with one-handed weapons, an encounter power aura that allows you OR allies to spend a minor to spend a surge and get bonus points, for themselves or for an adjacent ally, a 'spellbook' mechanic for daily attack powers, Song of Rest, Skill Versatility, Words of Friendship.
 4 at-will attack powers that affect Skald's Aura, seem to be poachable
 About 45 freely poachable class powers (haven't looked through them all to see which ones are tied to Skald's aura yet, but it's a very melee friendly lineup).

Druid - Protector - Primal Controller, uses of Summon Natural Ally instead of Daily attack powers, no wild shape or Ritual Casting, choose a 'school' to gain either defensive bonuses or speed bonuses, three nature-themed cantrips
 41 freely poachable class powers

Wizard - Witch - Arcane Controller, Witch's Familiar, daily utility power that allows you to get limited information about what is going to occur in the future, Cantrips, choice of Coven that determines 1st level encounter attack power and grants skill bonuses
 1 new cantrip
 42 freely poachable class powers

4 new Themes
  Fey Beast Tamer
  Sidhe Lord
  Tuathan
  Unseelie Agent

4 new Paragon Paths
  Deadly Berserker (berserker only)
  Master Skald (guess...)
  Legendary Witch
  Inner Circle Initiate (protector)

3 new Epic Destinies
  Shiradi Champion (any nonevil)
  Wild Hunter
  Witch Queen (wizard, bonuses for having a familiar, but not required)

1 Barbarian feat
1 Bard feat
2 Druid feats
4 Multiclass feats
2 Eladrin feats
1 Elf feat
3 Gnome feats
2 Hamadryad feats
3 Pixie feats
3 Satyr feats
3 Wilden feats
3 "Fey feats"
2 new Familiar feats
Totem Expertise
Two-Handed Weapon Expertise

11 Familiars (1 new one, "Sprite", different from Muse Sprite)

22 new pieces of Adventuring Gear

3 new Totems
7 new Wondrous Items
4 new Consumables
13 new Alternative Rewards

I LOVE. THIS. BOOK.
--Anything good for Intimidate?
--What's the Bard feat?
--WHAT IS TOME EXPERTISE? 
On the CO IRC, generally as TorpedoFish.
Vain? Me? NEVER.
57223408 wrote:
You're the straightest shooter I know on these boards. You don't mince words about your opinions, and I respect that about you. The whole fiasco you described in the last State of the CO Forum was particularly enlightening (and kind of disappointing with regards to how they see us).
56868168 wrote:
Ah, Tsuyo. When your post isn't one sentence long full of asterisks, you have much wisdom to share with us .
From the IRC:
(19:52) RuinsFate: You know, I was gonna agree with something PalOn said... but I think I'm just gonna through my lot in with tsuyo's sudden train-wreck grade interjection. (01:45) Nausicaa: yes your rage is a righteous rage :D (01:45) Nausicaa: righteous rage of torpedo
My sci-fi writing.
Any objections to spoiling the kickers for Tome/two-handed weapon expertise?  (and no totem expertise? I find that surprising.)
OK, Berserker and Defender don't really seem to go together in my mind.

Druid - Protector - Primal Controller, uses of Summon Natural Ally instead of Daily attack powers,

Does this mean that you cannot create a Protector Druid and take the regular Druid daily attack powers?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

--What's the Bard feat?
--WHAT IS TOME EXPERTISE? 

-- Skald Training - Prereq: Bard, majestic word - You swap your majestic word for the skald's aura power. You and your allies can use minor actions to benefit from the aura only as many times durin gan encounter as you would be able to use majestic word.
--A typo, sorry. ^^;

What are the pixie feats?
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

Druid - Protector - Primal Controller, uses of Summon Natural Ally instead of Daily attack powers,

Does this mean that you cannot create a Protector Druid and take the regular Druid daily attack powers?

Yes.

WORST. POSSIBLE. THING!

;)

From the table:
Flitting Harrier - Lvl 11 - No opportunity attacks for entering or leaving an enemy's space.
Streak of Light - Gain combat advantage against enemies you charge. (Hellooooo pixie barbarian with a heavy war pick...)
Teeny Target - Gain partial cover when in ally's space.

From the table:
Flitting Harrier - Lvl 11 - No opportunity attacks for entering or leaving an enemy's space.
Streak of Light - Gain combat advantage against enemies you charge. (Hellooooo pixie barbarian with a heavy war pick...)

The no OA one is something I was hoping for,  but nothing for generating flanking while occupying an enemy square. :-(

Yes.

WORST. POSSIBLE. THING!

;)

Well, that sucks giant turkey ass.  So much for playin' one of those.  Book interest dropping severely.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Thanks for your information and I'd like to ask how does the Protector Druid compare with the best controllers there, wiz, invoker and psions? The protector seems to be another ranged controller type so I'm a bit curious?

Another question would be how does the Protector get his/her AC? Is this class using another secondary attributes to determine AC again without gainning other benefit , making it again uable to compete with pure int class, unlike classes such as sor that at least gets damage?

And finally, how does the SNA work? Since the class does not have any dailies I'm assuming it's a pseudo-daily summons just like the ordinary druidic summon but with a list to choose from?

Wow....

Cunning rogue|fighter.  Hide in an allies square, good luck doing anything without punishment.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

I'm so glad they're listening to playtest feedback. I can see a few things in the OP that took feedback into account already.
Yes, I am a defender apologist. A Rock and a Hard Place: A Warden Handbook

Wait!!!.

a party of cunning pixies who hide behind eachother!!!

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Wait!!!.

a party of cunning pixies who hide behind eachother!!!

That will probably get changed to require the ally to be small or larger at some point, if it isn't already in the full text of the feat.
Wait, so mounts are allies, right?

...Did we just get another free cover all the time feat?
Pixie Swarm, GO!

Also, yeah, mounts are allies.
Any objections to spoiling the kickers for Tome/two-handed weapon expertise?  (and no totem expertise? I find that surprising.)

Tome was a typo.
Totem Expertise  - ignore partial cover and partial concealment
Two Handed - UNTYPED scaling dmg bonus to charge attacks

Another question would be how does the Protector get his/her AC? Is this class using another secondary attributes to determine AC again without gainning other benefit , making it again uable to compete with pure int class, unlike classes such as sor that at least gets damage?

The Primal Guardian and Primal Predator benefits (Con instead of Dex/Int, +1 speed in less than heavy armor) are accessible depending on which Circle you choose.

The no OA one is something I was hoping for,  but nothing for generating flanking while occupying an enemy square. :-(

A sidebar clarifies that, I believe.
"Because you are Tiny, you can enter the space of a Small or larger creature and end your turn there (forced movement must still end in an unoccupied space, unless noted otherwise). TWO CREATURES ARE CONSIDERED ADJACENT IF THEY ARE IN THE SAME SQUARE.

Wait, WHAT?!  Sure, let's throw MORE feats at the Gouge, because my God, it didn't have enough feats that made it a stupidly overpowered weapon...

A sidebar clarifies that.
"Because you are Tiny, you can enter the space of a Small or larger creature and end your turn there (forced movement must still end in an unoccupied space, unless noted otherwise). TWO CREATURES ARE CONSIDERED ADJACENT IF THEY ARE IN THE SAME SQUARE.

The rules for flanking specify that you have to be on opposite sides or corners of an enemy square though, with the test requiring a line to pass through opposite sides or corners of the enemy's space. If you are occupying one of the enemy's squares that is never going to occur. 
DelSol, that's what Spear Expertise does.  If anything, it's extending the Gouge's premier expertise feat to all non-Gouge weapons.

This makes it less overpowered, not more.

Wait, WHAT?!  Sure, let's throw MORE feats at the Gouge, because my God, it didn't have enough feats that made it a stupidly overpowered weapon...

Or at charging in general. Charging does not need any more support tyvm.
DelSol, that's what Spear Expertise does.  If anything, it's extending the Gouge's premier expertise feat to all non-Gouge weapon.

Nothing's stopping you from taking both is his point.
Yes, I am a defender apologist. A Rock and a Hard Place: A Warden Handbook
DelSol, that's what Spear Expertise does.  If anything, it's extending the Gouge's premier expertise feat to all non-Gouge weapon.

Two-Weapon Expertise's bonus is apparently untyped, however, which means whatever bonus Spear Expertise gives the Gouge, 2HWE will add even MORE to that.  Take 'em both - the feat bonuses to attack rolls will overlap, but the damage bonuses sure won't.

Or at charging in general. Charging does not need any more support tyvm.

Goodness no, it doesn't.

sigh.  nevermind.

Although there is no reason you couldn't have both with the Gouge if you are willing to spend the feats for it.

Edit: stupid n key 

Yes.

WORST. POSSIBLE. THING!

;)

Fixed it for you! :D

Eh, currently the Gouge is overpowered because it has a big weapon die and qualifies for spear feats. Two-Handed Expertise doesn't make the gouge any better, it just extends the Spear Expertise benefit to non-gouge weapons, which makes those slightly less inferior options now.

Just caught the part where 2HE's bonus is untyped. That does change things, yeah. Not sure it's massively overpowerful, since there are other things you could do with the feat slot that would either add just as much damage or greatly expand your utility, but... does seem a little silly.
Can you give more details about the Skald's aura?  You said it's an encounter power, but what's the duration?  Can multiple allies get healing surges off a single use, if multiple people spend minors while it's active?
+1/2/3 damage is fairly baseline, though. Ultimately you only get to pick 18 feats. You may not have enough room for both charge damage boosting feats.
Can you tell us the ability score bumps for the hamadryad?
What are the two eladrin feats?
Could you tell us about the Sidhe Lord theme?  I have a friend who is rather interested in that.
And the "fey feats" - are they some sort of bloodline - like deal?

Any good options for feylocks that you can see?

Unseelie agent sounds quite interesting. And what's with the Tuathan? That's not a rip off of Tuatha'an from the Wheel of Time is it? That would be kinda funny :P 
New Bard Build- Con Secondary or Dex Secondary?
How does the new Barbarian's "Defender -> Striker" mechanic work?
I doubt I would ever have a build with enough free feat slots to have two handed expertise and spear expertise and weapon focus. 

I like that you can use that new expertise with a fullblade or mordenkrad if you want to.  I will take it on my goliath cleric since he charges with a morningstar at least once each encounter, but doesn't have any forced movement attacks so bludgeon expertise does nothing for him.  I am about to start playing an avenger with a fullblade too and that will be better than heavy blade expertise.
I'm interested in information on the barbarian feat.

Also assuming the fey feats require a race with fey origin -- elf/eladrin/gnome/drow/wilden/HoW race...
And what's with the Tuathan? That's not a rip off of Tuatha'an from the Wheel of Time is it? That would be kinda funny :P 

Tuathan is a Gaelic word meaning, so far as I can tell, "country folk," and I can find references online to it being used to refer to fairies.  The real world usage is much more likely to be where they got it from.

Also assuming the fey feats require a race with fey origin -- elf/eladrin/gnome/drow/wilden/HoW race...

I was sorta assuming the opposite (they are for fey-isizing a non-fey character) but now I can totally see it going either way....

And what's with the Tuathan? That's not a rip off of Tuatha'an from the Wheel of Time is it? That would be kinda funny :P 

Tuathan is a Gaelic word meaning, so far as I can tell, "country folk," and I can find references online to it being used to refer to fairies.  The real world usage is much more likely to be where they got it from.

Ah, right. Cool, thanks. So not so much of a rip off of Wheel of Time as much as both having a common source in real life mythology. I'm definitely interested in that one then. I wonder if they'll be pacifists like Tuatha'an? Also, I wonder how similar they'll be to Vistani?