D&D Virtual Table

72 posts / 0 new
Last post
Currently, it's in beta....right?

Does ANYONE know if there is a release date? Anything? Rumor? Educated guess?

I'd love to know before I start with another program. If the wait isn't long, I'll wait, but if this thing is a year away....meh.

Thanks to anyone who has any info Tongue Out
No idea on a release date as yet as far as I'm aware.

Function-wise,  you could probably use it as it is now, but I don't know how many more features they will add.

Function-wise,  you could probably use it as it is now, but I don't know how many more features they will add.

If it was available Tongue Out
ask around, it is nigh-trivial to get an invite

if that fails, follow the directions to make sure you are signed up to be eligible for betas.  I think they are even still sending them out. 

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

If it was available Tongue Out

its not open to non subscribers and likely never will be
It works pretty well right now.  Definitely room for improvement, but it's coming along nicely. 

If you choose to be a DDI subscriber, it's easy to get an invite to the beta.  Even after it goes live, though, you will have to be a DDI subscriber to use it.

So if you don't want to be a subscriber, your choice is made for you.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
I have hardly ever had any problems with it.  Every once in a while there are sound issues, but it works pretty well.  They need to do things like add more tokens and tiles, but besides that it works fine.

Its about the only way I play 4E right now since my long term in person group has mostly been doing savage worlds and I have found a couple of regular groups 4E through the VT forums.  I'd even do LFR through them if I had more time.
So do you need an invite from a current player? Or do I have to blackmail somebody at WotC with those pictures I have. You know the ones.
Head down to D&DI General, and make a post in the thread.  You'll probably get an invite within a few days.

Note to anyone reading this:  you must be a DDI subscriber to be invited.  If you make a post without being a subscriber, you won't get the invite.
lofgren go read this thread for info on how to sign up.
I've been a DDi'er for about 2 months-ish.  I got into 1 game.  It's very confusing how to get in one, and even more confusing on how to set up a game.  At present, you need to be a DDi subscriber to get in on the closed beta.  However, all I did was ask and I was in.  

I really lik eit, but getting players to play at a fixed time seems to be the hard issue.  Added to it, no one knows (thought rumor abounds) as to when it will go `live', if it will be DDi only, or (as has been suspected) if it will leave from under the DDi umbrella and become its own subscription (which i am thinking will be the case.)

DDi has alot of value for me as a DM.  The character generator is a BIG boon.  Where the VT is going is anyones guess.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

The BEST gaming mats ever: www.zuzzy.com http://www.amazon.com/Stormwalkers-ebook/dp/B004ULVL08/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318513150&sr=8-1

i dont think its confusing at all, ive played 2-3 times a week on it for about the last year

theres actually two new starting campaigns right now, just go to the find a game forum, dms are looking for players for a homebrew and eberron game

as long as you frequently check the forums you can easily find games. couldnt play an lfr game this morning bc of work

Its about the only way I play 4E right now since my long term in person group has mostly been doing savage worlds and I have found a couple of regular groups 4E through the VT forums.  I'd even do LFR through them if I had more time.

I second this statement.  The only non-VT games I play these days are Encounters once a week.

I find that the forum system may not be the best for finding and Players and/or DMs and arranging games.  Although all of the tools are available: forums, user-created groups, and the VT Campaign Manager itself.

I'll agree that flakey players (not usually DMs) can be a pain in the ass, but that happens in live games as well, this is just an easier format to bail on I suppose, since it's essentially anonymous.  

As a part time player and part time DM, the VT is a big part of my DDI value.  I'd probably split my value three ways between the VT, CB and Dungeon/Dragon articles. 
Currently, it's in beta....right?

Does ANYONE know if there is a release date? Anything? Rumor? Educated guess?

Well, the cynic in me needs to point out the Adventure Tools never made it out of beta before someone decided "good enough" and moved everyone onto other projects.

5 Minute WorkdayMy Webcomic Updated Tue & Thur

The compilation of my Worldbuilding blog series is now available: 

Jester David's How-To Guide to Fantasy Worldbuilding.

It was coming along quite well before all the non-DDI subscribers got kicked out. It sounds like not much has changed since then though. 
actually they have automated the attack and damage rolls, added tons of tiles since youve been there, increased the number of tables we have...oh well never mind it just sounds like you are sore bc you got kicked out. good lord i dont even think you could import monsters when you were on right? the stone age

the vt is one of the few things they really update frequently, basically once a week. it has changed dramatically since it first started
They even discretly added few new Tokens this week...Wink

The D&D VT is getting better and better, handles Automation of targeting+ attack rolls + damage rolls now, has more Tilesets and more functions as the weeks pass. Integrated Voice Chat and Campaign Manager are selling points in making D&D ever easier to play on Virtual Table as the interface itself require very minimal mastering. There is an ever growing LFR Community on the D&D VT, as well as more and more Campaign and pick-up games..

There's is still lots of rooms for improvement, but Vittie (we call her Vittie in the BETA) is ready to enter in Open BETA IMHO.

More people means more games going on and thus more BETA Testing !
If you choose to be a DDI subscriber, it's easy to get an invite to the beta.  Even after it goes live, though, you will have to be a DDI subscriber to use it.

So if you don't want to be a subscriber, your choice is made for you.

Unless I missed something, pricing for the VT has not ben announced.  It may or may not be included with a DDI membership, and there may or may not be a way for non-members to use it (and, in fact, they've tested a system designed for exactly that function, to allow non-members to pay for the tool seperately from a standard account)

In answer to the OP's question, I believe the VT will be released to the public in winter of 2012.  This is the same time Neverwinter is due to be released, I suspect to coincide with the release of Monte Cooke's project.
well, a lot of whiny naysayers claimed you would have to pay for tiles, and that turned up to be patently false. i assume it will be part of the subscription but that players will be able to pay to play if they are not subscribers. either way, you need to be a subscriber now to use it, and i would pay for a subscription just for the vt, as i get to play three times a week
They even discretly added few new Tokens this week...Wink

The D&D VT is getting better and better, handles Automation of targeting+ attack rolls + damage rolls now, has more Tilesets and more functions as the weeks pass. Integrated Voice Chat and Campaign Manager are selling points in making D&D ever easier to play on Virtual Table as the interface itself require very minimal mastering. There is an ever growing LFR Community on the D&D VT, as well as more and more Campaign and pick-up games..

There's is still lots of rooms for improvement, but Vittie (we call her Vittie in the BETA) is ready to enter in Open BETA IMHO.

More people means more games going on and thus more BETA Testing !

Hey Plague,

I've not used the VT for months now so am behind on what you can do with it.    Are you saying it has auto targetting and hit calculation and damage/condition application?   If so, can you elaborate as to how that works?

Thanks
Blakey
You click a power, click a token to be the target, and a little window pops up that lets you add a modifier to the base roll that's in the power (CA, penalties to attack, etc).  Do this for all attack targets, and then click the damage roll.  You can repeat the damage roll for each individual target, with boxes for Max and Half and an adjustment for other modifiers, or you can do one roll against all targets that it hit.  Hitpoints are automatically deducted from the target, and the bloodied and dying conditions are added automatically.  Other conditions are not applied, since there's not yet a way to include that in the attack/damage roll expressions, and still have to be applied manually.  You can edit the damage roll expressions on a per-target basis, meaning if you did a blast attack on your Warlock, you can choose one target to add the Curse damage to but leave the roll as default for the rest.

Overall it's very nice, though there are some things that could be improved.  Rerolls on damage, particularly, are somewhat annoying.  Brutal dice aren't supported at all, which means that you either have to separately roll the individual die then manually add in the damage, or you have to math-hack the dice, e.g. 2d6 B1 becomes [W]=(2d5+2), 1d12 B2 becomes [W]=(1d10+2), etc.
You click a power, click a token to be the target, and a little window pops up that lets you add a modifier to the base roll that's in the power (CA, penalties to attack, etc).  Do this for all attack targets, and then click the damage roll.  You can repeat the damage roll for each individual target, with boxes for Max and Half and an adjustment for other modifiers, or you can do one roll against all targets that it hit.  Hitpoints are automatically deducted from the target, and the bloodied and dying conditions are added automatically.  Other conditions are not applied, since there's not yet a way to include that in the attack/damage roll expressions, and still have to be applied manually.  You can edit the damage roll expressions on a per-target basis, meaning if you did a blast attack on your Warlock, you can choose one target to add the Curse damage to but leave the roll as default for the rest.

Overall it's very nice, though there are some things that could be improved.  Rerolls on damage, particularly, are somewhat annoying.  Brutal dice aren't supported at all, which means that you either have to separately roll the individual die then manually add in the damage, or you have to math-hack the dice, e.g. 2d6 B1 becomes [W]=(2d5+2), 1d12 B2 becomes [W]=(1d10+2), etc.

Wow - that sounds like a big improvement.  Thanks for the info. 

So all the default damage is being grabbed from the PC online too?   Does it know about critical hits, about your chances to crit (if they are greater than 1 in 20) and things like High Crit weapons?

Yeah, the difference in play from before and after is huge and very noticeable.  It greatly speeds up the efficiency of play, especially from the DM side.  You're paying attention to the Hit and Miss boxes that pop up over each token for conditions and whatnot, but it's a ton less busywork to get the numbers to be correct.

The default rolls are imported from the Builder.  I typically add more rolls, such as a dedicated critical roll that includes crit-only dice and maximum damage for the power.  Those previously-established rolls in the powers are the ones you click to do attack and damage rolls.  Just enough default from the import, with easy customization.

It does not know about critical hits, you have to do max damage manually, which is done through a checkbox in the damage roll window on a per-target basis, but you then have to manually add critical-only effects to that damage roll. As I said, to save time I tend to have a separate critical roll, so instead of clicking the normal damage roll I click the critical one.
Thanks for the info.  Very interesting.

Any news on if they are going to allow us to use JPGs etc as backdrops for maps - effectively letting us use 3rd party maps like they do in MapTool?    I think that is getting towards the only thing stopping me switching over now.   Oh, maybe that and auto fog of war reveal when tokens are moved...
"We have announced no plans yet to allow such a thing.  I've shared this feedback with the devs previously, and will continue to let them know this is requested."

Imported art is a high priority in the community, and other high priorities have been implemented, so there's hope.
Thanks again.   It sounds goood.

I've just let my DDi sub lapse so I guess I've been booted from the VT forums.  Perhaps I'll go check!

well, a lot of whiny naysayers claimed you would have to pay for tiles, and that turned up to be patently false.

Actually just because they are still bringing the available tiles up to the number they need for the release version doesn't mean that they won't sell any additional tiles after release. 

And if they truly have abandoned the thought of charging for tiles and tokkens (and I doubt it's off the wish list of the bean counters) you can send the negative feedback of the nay sayers (who sadly have been nothing but right so far with predictinf the worst for DDI, I would be very suprised to still have downloadble dragon and dungeon articles instead of some read-online-onlly version at the end of 2012)
I assume it will be part of the subscription

Which then will be increased for everyone (at best with an option to extend now for a year at old price)
while you are just making stuff up off the top of your head with no proof mirtek, you might as well say they will require a blood sample

you have never been right about ANYTHING regarding the vt, but if you want to assume the worst just go right ahead

you have never been right about ANYTHING regarding the vt, but if you want to assume the worst just go right ahead

Since we have yet to get the game table (closed beta != having the game table) I can't be wrong yet.

So far I correctly predicted the worst when they announced that they will be announcing their exiting news about the CB and unfortunately was right (I would have prefered to be wrong).

Don't worry, we can cite this very thread in 12 month (or whenever the worst comes to pass sooner) to see who was right

That you call it closed beta demonstrates that you haven't a clue about anything as far as what the state of the VT is, and can't even have bothered to have read this very thread.

Take your baseless suppositions elsewhere, please.
That you call it closed beta demonstrates that you haven't a clue about anything as far as what the state of the VT is, and can't even have bothered to have read this very thread.

It's a closed beta where you can only get in if invited. Not any different that the current closed beta Diablo 3. That invites are more easy to ge doesn't change that it's still a closed beta

An example of an open beta was the recent BF2 beta. Anyone could simply download and play without need to ask EA for any (even granted in 90% of the cases) permission

youre the expert

youre the expert

Well I was unfortunately right once and dread the day when an announcement will make me right again.

As for open vs. closed beta, that's basically the definition used by just about all experts I found:

As the name implies, this stage of testing is still “closed” from the public, but is much more extensive than Alpha Testing. Gamers can usually “apply” for Closed Beta testing

Anyone can simply go to the thread in DDI general and post, and then play.

It's not closed beta if you let anyone who asks play it.  There is no "apply."  There is no "ask."  There is "I want in beta" and they say "Okay, we invited everybody who posted."

I’ve removed content from this thread because Baiting is a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code of Conduct here:

www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_...

Please keep your posts polite, respectful, and on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.

It's not closed beta if you let anyone who asks play it.  There is no "apply."  There is no "ask."  There is "I want in beta" and they say "Okay, we invited everybody who posted."

DDI subscription and posting in the thread are still "closed gates" you must pass to be able to be in the beta. It's a closed beta by any rigorous definition since you can't declare yourself to be in the beta - you have to do certain tasks, then be entered by those in charge.

My 2 cents.
DDI subscription and posting in the thread are still "closed gates" you must pass to be able to be in the beta. It's a closed beta by any rigorous definition since you can't declare yourself to be in the beta - you have to do certain tasks, then be entered by those in charge.

My 2 cents.

Closed beta is by invitation only. And only to select people. Or open registration, where invites are sent out to select users.

Open beta is to anyone who asks. While monetary values are involved here, it's still more of an open beta. Still, there are more gates than usual for an open beta, so I'd concede that this is a 'mostly open beta', due to that. Meh.

My 2 cents.

You're also often "tasked" with creating an account and downloading the client, even in what you would call open betas.  Not a whole lot different.

Diablo 3 is a closed beta because no matter how much I WANTSS IT, MY PRECIOUS, I can't get in just by stating interest.  I have to state interest, and then get luckily picked by Blizzard.

The VT is not a closed beta because anyone with a DDI account (it is a DDI tool, after all) will be given access if they ask.  It's not restricted.

My 2 cents.

Closed beta is by invitation only. And only to select people. Or open registration, where invites are sent out to select users.

Open beta is to anyone who asks. While monetary values are involved here, it's still more of an open beta. Still, there are more gates than usual for an open beta, so I'd concede that this is a 'mostly open beta', due to that. Meh.

Yeah, I could see this. It is a bit of a case of degrees. I'd gravitate towards "closed beta", but it has several characteristics of an open beta, too. It's like a "mostly open beta", as you say.

My 2 cents.

You're kidding.

You have to sign up for the service and ask? These you would consider obstacles? By your definition, WotC would have to come to my house, log on to my computer, sign me up, setup my profile, and fix the squeaky wheel on my desk chair for it to be an "open beta."

DDI subscription doesn't count as a gate because the service is for DDI subscribers.

Your "rigorous" definition of a closed beta means that all betas are inherently closed. I mean, you have to have access to a computer to use this program! That's a closed gate!
Not having a chance of being denied access = open
Having a chance of being denied access = closed

VT is the former.  This really isn't very complicated.
Sign In to post comments