11/01/2011 Wizards Asks

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Wizards Asks, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

I like the flavor text for desprate ravings
"her mind was quite gone, yet she spoke nothing but truth."
also voiceless spirit
"I'd rather take on a neckbiter or moonhowler any day. Oh well, looks like I'm going to end up parrying with empty air half the night." -Saint Trogen, the Slayer
I'd have to go with Back from the Brink.  With that set, the flavor text in Innistrad was dissapointingly serious in almost all cases.
Without a doubt, Tribute to Hunger is by far my favorite card in respect to Flavor. I like that the card is in *present* tense, in reflection to art and the story happening in the flavor text. It just is a bueatiful one frame comic.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000)
Insectile Abberation For Science!
Manor Skeleton Nice timbre :P
Furor of the Bitten You know things are gloomy when people start to mind**** themselves (mindmasturbate?)
Woodland Cemetary Circle of Life 2.0 
Not sure if I have a favorite, but the one that comes to mind the most is Woodland Cemetery's.
MTG Rules Advisor Autocarding helps a lot -> [c]Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas[/c] = Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas "But keep in mind when the internet dies with the electrical system in 2012, you can still play paper magic, while digital cards will have gone the way of the dodo. In the post apocalyptic world, magic cards will be our currency!" - Samot, explaining to someone the ramifications of switching to MTGO!
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
I am Blue/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both selfish and rational. I'm scheming, secretive and manipulative; I use knowledge as a tool for personal gain, and in turn obtaining more knowledge. At best, I am mysterious and stealthy; at worst, I am distrustful and opportunistic.
I want to complain since I don't often. Intangible Virtue is my least favorite. I don't understand how virtue, intangible or so, affects tokens in particular. Moreover, I don't understand why you thought it would be okay to inadvertently classify all tokens as spirits of the dead.
I found the text for Village Cannibals suitably chilling, especially in the way it ties in with the art.
Intangible Virtue is my least favorite. I don't understand how virtue, intangible or so, affects tokens in particular. Moreover, I don't understand why you thought it would be okay to inadvertently classify all tokens as spirits of the dead.

In the context of just that flavor text, it does talk about spirits, Innistrader geists in particular, but whole hosts of planeswalkers from legions of different worlds could cast the same spell under different circumstances.

To me, it just represents a situation in which a whole lot of otherwise bland and faceless supporters or thralls of a planeswalker (the tokens) are imbued with a magically empowered sense of the righteousness of their cause and this intangible sense of virtue makes them stronger and more committed than they would otherwise have been. This could apply to geists on Innistrad or saprolings on Ravnica or those holier-than-thou squirrels on Dominaria or even eldrazi spawn on Zendikar, depending on which planeswalker's doing the casting and why.
My favorite flavor text comes from Villagers of Estwald/Howlpack of Estwald.  It is amusing that you have an entire town full of werewolves.
IMAGE(http://pwp.wizards.com/1205820039/Scorecards/Landscape.png)
In no particular order (except numerical, which is how I sifted through them):
Angelic Overseer
Selfless Cathar
Deranged Assistant
Typhoid Rats
Hanweir Watchkeep and Bane of Hanweir
Rage Thrower
Hamlet Captain
Ghost Quarter

I am particularly fond of Deranged Assistant for its humor and Hanweir Watchkeep/Bane of Hanweir for its poignance and clever wit. Normally, Goblins have the best flavor text (for teh humor), but there are no goblins on Innistrad, despite being referenced in Pitchburn Devils's flavor text (good continuity there, WotC). Rage Thrower is also fairly entertaining.
Stitcher's Apprentice!  Ish so kyuuute!!!  You remember the plushie version of Perilous Myr?  Well, where's our plushie Oglor?
Ever since it was spoiled, my favorite is

Curse of the Bloody Tome

Reminded me of when I accidently erased my lab group's experiment information before we wrote it down.
As a Conan fan, I can only go with "Civilization is fertilizer".
I'm personally a fan of Rampaging Werewolf.  I got a chuckle out of it.  Also, Skaab Goliath, and pretty much anything that quotes Stitcher really.
Personally, i am a fan of the flavor of the Ghosts/Geists/Spirits of Innistrad, in particular that of Chapel Geist

"Death has bound it with chains of past regrets. Forever it searches for atonement, each kindness removing a single link."
'...it manages to put a twist on a really tired old saying...'

I find it disappointing that WotC hijacks a verse from Scripture to generate 'flavor' and then ridicules it as a 'really tired old saying.'

I would have to say my favorite comes from Hysterical Blindess:

"The panic is amusing, but the real fun comes when the spell passes and the villagers start looking for a scapegoat."

—Ludevic, necro-alchemist

I find it disappointing that WotC hijacks a verse from Scripture to generate 'flavor' and then ridicules it as a 'really tired old saying.'

Scripture or not, I thought it was a clever take on a common cliche. Is it not old? Has it not been so often used that it's no longer entertaining? Then yes, in fact, it is a "really tired old saying".