11/01/2011 SF: "Modern Trapping for Classic Style"

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Serious Fun, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Thanks for the kind mention, Adam.  For kicks and giggles, here's my own The Mimeoplasm (Commander) deck, divided rather imprecisely by animal element:

RATTLESNAKE (cards that warn off) (12)
Brawn
Chancellor of the Spires
Evil Twin
Kalitas, Bloodchief of Ghet
Nemesis of Reason
Riddlekeeper
Szadek, Lord of Secrets
Troll Ascetic
Vengeful Pharaoh
Wonder
Wrexial, the Risen Deep

GORILLA (game-slammers, creatures that kill with a single swing, etc.) (12)
Artisan of Kozilek
Damnation
Fleshbag Marauder
Grimoire of the Dead
Life's Finale
Liliana of the Veil
Liliana Vess
Llurgoyf
Lord of Extinction
Mortivore
Oblivion Stone
Windfall

PIGEON (cards that benefit from more players) (5)
Body Double
Mindleech Mass
Phyrexian Ingester 
Phyrexian Metamorph
Vulturous Zombie

PLANKTON (cards that feed all) (2)
Shared Trauma (really!...hey, it's not MY fault if no one else is playing recursion)
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth (again, everyone should be smart enough to be playing black)

SPIDER (cards that surprise) (3)
Cytoshape
Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni
Voidslime

COCKROACH (cards that have replicable, hard-to-stop effects) (17)
Cryptoplasm
Damia, Sage of Stone
Dimir Cutpurse
Dimir Doppleganger
Dreamborn Muse
Extractor Demon
Fauna Shaman
Jace, Memory Adept
Keening Stone
Memory Erosion
Mesmeric Orb
Mindshrieker
Mirror-Mad Phantasm
Sewer Nemesis
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Skaab Ruinator
Undead Gladiator

SIMPLY GOOD (utility) (5)
Beast Within
Eternal Witness
Fact or Fiction
Lightning Greaves
Solemn Simulacrum

MANA/ACCELERATION (everything else)
Cultivate
Dimir Signet
Golgari Signet 
Simic Signet
Lots of lands 

I'm using all of my Pernicious Deeds elsewhere!

Best wishes to the whole gang at Wizards and their collaborators worldwide,
Anthony Alongi

Pernicious Deed is a Gorilla to me. It scares people off, sure, but to the point of you not wanting to play anything... And it's going to pop, oh it's going to pop, as soon as that players is threatened OR WHENEVER he's about to make a large move. I've seen the same thing happen with Nevinyrral's Disk. Admittedly, it has some elements of a Rattlesnake, but don't be fooled, most players are going to be corrupted by its power.

Daybreak Ranger I'd say doesn't fit well into these schemas. He's kind of like a Rattlesnake, though. I mean, he's going to kill anything he can every turn, but if you have the least threatening element on the board, just don't threaten him. 

Batterskull is a Cockroach and a half! Drop him in, he's dangerous. Kill his token, Equip it elsewhere MORE threatening. Wrath the board, target it, or lazing about? Return to hand!

Novablast Wurm is a monstrous Gorilla. I've seen it in action before. The funny thing was, it came in through a Genesis Wave, along with about 7 other valuable creature. So while he couldn't attack with it, everybody response was clearly to GET OFF THE BOARD. Except me... When he decided to attack, my Kaalia deck's Master Warcraft flashed in... I had none of his guys attack except NWurm, and I sent it at the guy-next-to-me's Jace Beleren!

Arashi, the Sky Asunder is impossible to judge for me. But I think in general strategies, it's a Rattlesnake that scares off flyers. Small ones it ignores because 5/5 at the face is more potent than sitting it back waiting for somebody to foolishly play a big flyer.

Why I say it's impossible to judge is because it depends on the deck(s) invovled. If you have reanimate or return cards from the grave, and/or you have opponent's that threaten a large amount of flying, then you'll hold this card until you need to flash in a Hurricane.
Pernicious Deed is a Gorilla to me. It scares people off, sure, but to the point of you not wanting to play anything... And it's going to pop, oh it's going to pop, as soon as that players is threatened OR WHENEVER he's about to make a large move. I've seen the same thing happen with Nevinyrral's Disk. Admittedly, it has some elements of a Rattlesnake, but don't be fooled, most players are going to be corrupted by its power.

It's a Rattlesnake. "While nearly any card can have a bite to it, only some of them telegraph the bite in advance. Those are the rattlesnakes." It doesn't get more 'telegraph that bite in advance' than sitting on the board for a turn until you untap and choose a value for X.

Daybreak Ranger I'd say doesn't fit well into these schemas. He's kind of like a Rattlesnake, though. I mean, he's going to kill anything he can every turn, but if you have the least threatening element on the board, just don't threaten him.

I'd say Gorilla. He has a huge play impact, killing a creature of your choice each turn. He spurs a stale game back into action, and demands an answer.

Batterskull is a Cockroach and a half! Drop him in, he's dangerous. Kill his token, Equip it elsewhere MORE threatening. Wrath the board, target it, or lazing about? Return to hand!

Agreed.

Novablast Wurm is a monstrous Gorilla.

Yes. It's very similar to Dread Cacodemon, which he lists as a Gorilla. Also a Rattlesnake, though, as you can hold him back, threatening to attack if someone does something you don't like.

Arashi, the Sky Asunder is impossible to judge for me. But I think in general strategies, it's a Rattlesnake that scares off flyers. Small ones it ignores because 5/5 at the face is more potent than sitting it back waiting for somebody to foolishly play a big flyer.

It really depends on which mode you're using. His channel effect is a Spider, but his activated ability is a Rattlesnake or a Gorilla.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)

It's a Rattlesnake. "While nearly any card can have a bite to it, only some of them telegraph the bite in advance. Those are the rattlesnakes." It doesn't get more 'telegraph that bite in advance' than sitting on the board for a turn until you untap and choose a value for X.

Some problems with Rattlesnake: "The point of using rattlesnakes... to encourage attention elsewhere. 'Don't attack me!' is what these cards cry." Yes, this card has a warning, and it's not something that you can easily blackmail with. It says, "Don't play permanents!" It's not a rattlesnake when it's 'warning' is to stop playing the game so it can take over at its leisure. When such an effect is sitting around, it's a threat that needs to be addressed.

"Using gorillas is often a function of getting things done; when opponents pull ahead, put too many things onto the battlefield, or hide behind a wall of defensive entrenchment, letting a few gorillas loose should rattle the game back into motion." And that's exactly what this bomb does (and all gorilla bombs), it explodes all over everything, and may even leave the controller with things and you nothing.

For example, Yawgmoth is a source of godly power, if he was a card (and sometimes "he" is) he would wreak havoc and take over the game... But Pernicious Deed doesn't stave him off, it quips back:

"Yawgmoth," Freyalise whispered as she set the bomb, "now you will pay for your treachery."

The main point that tricks you into believing it's not a Gorilla is, "Gorillas are the powerhouses you drop onto the battlefield. These cards, like rattlesnakes, are played visibly and openly but affect things immediately." Immediately being the keyword. Now I could argue for this card because cards are gorillas even if they take a turn to go off— because they threaten to do nasty things that make everybody playing pay the most attention to (and we already know this about Novablast Wurm)—

But even though that applies to Pernicious Deed, whose definition is perhaps a very deed of gorillas: "causing insidious harm or ruin; ruinous; injurious; hurtful"; still what really sells this one is the fact that the card actually isn't even as weak as stuff like Novablast Wurm, it actually CAN go off immediately xD. Many times it will be played for 1BG and activated for x=~6 as if it were a Damnation with performance-enchancing substances, an Akroma's Vengeance with an agenda!

And that's why this guy looks tricky, but watch it played and you'll realize this monster's nothing you can "play around".
I basically agree 100% with chronego on all the various cards. Pernicious Deed is a rattlesnake. Sure, you may use it as a gorilla or a spider now and then, but it's an enchantment that sits on the board and makes people not want to annoy you. That's a rattlesnake for me. Daybreak Ranger is a gorilla with a little bit of rattlesnake (you can use the prospect of fighting to make sure your opponents don't target you). Batterskull is obviously a cockroach due to its repeatability. A repeatable gorilla is still a cockroach. Novablast Wurm is an easy gorilla. The only one that's weird is Arashi, which is both a rattlesnake and a spider. It all depends on whether you're using the channel ability or just the card.

Also, cool to see an Alongi deck after so long.
76125763 wrote:
Zindaras' meta is like a fossil, ancient and its secrets yet to be uncovered. Only men of yore, long dead, knew of it.
Nice to see the master is still floating around! Any chance of a cameo/return at some point?
And thanks for the ideas; I'll be building a Mimeoplasm deck just as soon as i get The Mimeoplasm :/ 
Check out my Multiplayer Magic articles on the new site http://www.gatheringmagic.com/
Nice to see the master is still floating around! Any chance of a cameo/return at some point?
And thanks for the ideas; I'll be building a Mimeoplasm deck just as soon as i get The Mimeoplasm :/ 

Cameos are always a possibility, and I've had a hard time finding the time to do it right, in a way that would be both (a) enjoyable for readers and (b) helpful for the site (either mtg.com or starcitygamesccg.com) that requested it.  Sheldon Menery and I were tossing around a couple of article ideas a while back, but that hasn't turned into anything yet.  Life has this irritating way of taking over, just when you want to do something cool like that!  And I find all my free time (aside from the weekly Magic game with buds) goes toward Dungeons & Dragons, which I'm playing regularly while my teenaged son and daughter still want to hang around with me.  

I do miss connecting with readers, which leads to board lurking from time to time....best wishes to all,

AA