11/01/2011 LI: "Drafting, Then and Now"

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Limited Information, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.

Doesn't the talk of almost every common being limited playable fly directly in the face of one of Tom Lapille's 'explanations' for bad cards in his article a couple of weeks ago?
While the power level of creatures in Invasion might be considered weak by current standards, the spells were pretty amazing - Exclude, Recoil, Recover, Repulse, Restrain...
Doesn't the talk of almost every common being limited playable fly directly in the face of one of Tom Lapille's 'explanations' for bad cards in his article a couple of weeks ago?

There are bad cards. It's just that they are bad comparing them to the good ones, which are better than old good cards. (Although I'll agree with Pirato_hamiako about some really good spells.)
How dare he say Chimney Imp is a bad card!

Momus, the Greek god of sarcasm

Pray to him.

Spells are weaker, creatures are more powerful and each block that is released contains 5 or more pre-constructed deck ideas that Wizards forces you to play.  I have no idea why wizards thinks they need to make so many ridiculous cards in each release, but I think it is ruining the game.  Creatures don't need to have paragraphs of abilites on them.  They remain on the board (if you protect them) and hit each turn.  Spells should be more powerful because (for the most part) they are one and done. 

STOP making cards one color and their flashback another.  DONT build decks FOR us in development, let US build decks.  Keep things simple.  Introduce exciting mechanics slowly, over the course of a few blocks.  Show constraint and pretend like you care about the longevity of the game.  Magic isn't about YOU.

I think there are way too many dungeon-dwellers in the innovation factory at Wizards trying to use the pretentious as proof of their own Magic intelligence.  STOP.  The game is not about you.  Every block and every card doesn't need to DEFINE Magic.  Re-Read my second paragraph over and over.  Print it out and put it on all your walls.

My advice to Wizards... provide all your development employees a subscription to proactiv, to give them the confidence they need to walk away from the Magic cards a couple nights a week.  This way they will be able to socialize with real people, experience the real world, and stop using Magic to define themselves.

Huff-Puff.